KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Shaming Fat People is what Society Needs?

Shaming Fat People is what Society Needs?
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

Shaming Fat People is what Society Needs?

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/...ioethicist-says

quote:
Unhappy with the slow pace of public health efforts to curb America’s stubborn obesity epidemic, a prominent bioethicist is proposing a new push for what he says is an “edgier strategy” to promote weight loss: ginning up social stigma.

Daniel Callahan, a senior research scholar and president emeritus of The Hastings Center, put out a new paper this week calling for a renewed emphasis on social pressure against heavy people -- what some may call fat-shaming -- including public posters that would pose questions like this:
“If you are overweight or obese, are you pleased with the way that you look?”

Callahan outlined a strategy that applauds efforts to boost education, promote public health awareness of obesity and curb marketing of unhealthy foods to children.

But, he added, those plans could do with a dose of shame if there’s any hope of repairing a nation where more than a third of adults and 17 percent of kids are obese.

Read the rest of the article.

Is he right?

Some disorders are specifically due to the stigma of being fat or the perception that one is fat. Seems like there is enough shaming, already. Ask a fat person if they think they are fat (make sure you know them, or you'll get smacked...or something). Almost all will admit to being fat. They are probably ashamed to be seen without some of their clothes (shirt off or swimsuit) off. So why does this dude think more shaming is needed? It won't work.

What we need is forced exercise. smile Fascism for the win? WEEEEEEEE!

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 08:17 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Conscript every fat person. They'll lose weight and provide meat shields in the mean time.

But no, a public (and publicly-funded) shaming campaign is a terrible idea. Not that it won't get results, but that it kind of goes against the whole spirit of choosing who and what you want to be. If some private company or organization wants to spend their own money on something like this, go for it. But a shaming program operated by the government and paid for with taxpayer dollars? F*ck no.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 08:45 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Bad idea; the people who need to be shamed are the heads of fast food corporations and snack food companies.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 03:25 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Trial run: if we can shame the WBC in to disbandment, then give it a try with fatties.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 03:29 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Bad idea; the people who need to be shamed are the heads of fast food corporations and snack food companies.
thumb up , as well as the diet and fashion industries for pushing "thin" way too far (ie, to unhealthy extremes), so that even normal-weight people question their attractiveness.

Originally posted by dadudemon
Some disorders are specifically due to the stigma of being fat or the perception that one is fat. Seems like there is enough shaming, already. Ask a fat person if they think they are fat (make sure you know them, or you'll get smacked...or something). Almost all will admit to being fat. They are probably ashamed to be seen without some of their clothes (shirt off or swimsuit) off. So why does this dude think more shaming is needed? It won't work.
Does Callahan know about this:
http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/...k-of-mortality/

On the other hand, I think bringing back public shaming -- for a variety of reasons much worse than "being overweight" -- may not be such a bad idea.

(please log in to view the image)

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 05:31 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

How do you prove if one is "physically fit" or not?

Because if just going by who looks fit, regardless of physical ability, we are judging solely based on aesthetic.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 06:45 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Is he right?

He's a ****.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 07:10 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

Originally posted by Omega Vision Bad idea; the people who need to be shamed are the heads of fast food corporations and snack food companies.
I agree and disagree. I Think what Lord Lucien said applies here also.

Originally posted by Lord Lucien If some private company or organization wants to spend their own money on something like this, go for it. But a shaming program operated by the government and paid for with taxpayer dollars? F*ck no.

People that continually go out to eat are more to blame then the actual fast food company imo. But then you also have to take into account people that are poor and how it could benefit them more to eat fast food. Although, if you can hold fast food accountable for that then health food companies should be held accountable for their prices being to high. Not to mention coupons could be used to buy groceries.

Originally posted by Mindship
thumb up , as well as the diet and fashion industries for pushing "thin" way too far (ie, to unhealthy extremes), so that even normal-weight people question their attractiveness.

I think this is the main problem. Some people like eating and become obese while some can't help it because of medical conditions. Also there are people that want to lose weight but get discouraged. It's all up to them and their is no reason to make people feel bad about themselves because of the life choices they make......in this instance at least....

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 07:14 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Shaming Fat People is what Society Needs?

Is he right?

Lol.

You're right, in this case, fascism is for your own good.
evil face

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 11:04 PM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

But what about people like me, who are just big boned?

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 11:06 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Bardock42

Is that the literal English translation of "Deutscher"?

You learn something every day.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 11:14 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bardock42

You're lucky to have a body type in which your shoulders can be broad when you bulk.

I saw a highschooler the other day, with the face of a middle schooler, who was about eight feet tall. Now didn't rhave any fat, anywhere..really.

However, he will never look normal. He must have been reincarnated from a giraffe.

Some people's samototypes are too extreme to ever look normal, though, you have to stay sensitive.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 11:22 PM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
If some private company or organization wants to spend their own money on something like this, go for it.

Why the hell would you support a private company that exists only to insult and attack people?

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 11:28 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Omega Vision

I enjoy those products very much and I can tell you I am in better shape than anyone in this thread except for you (yeah, I've seen your pictures, you sexy beast).

It is not necessarily what one eats but what they do. Granted, I do eat more than just junk foods and fast foods. But one can have a 5000 calorie diet and still be fit as ****.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2013 12:17 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight.

It's just certain foods sold by certain big dollar companies, almost every food resturant out there, sells mostly foods that cause chemical dependency. Therefore if someone has neurological issues, or even emotional problems, they will succumb to gluttony.

Doesn't mean we should or can do anything about what food is sold to who.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2013 12:22 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Why the hell would you support a private company that exists only to insult and attack people?
erm wut?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2013 07:13 AM
Omega Vision

I enjoy those products very much and I can tell you I am in better shape than anyone in this thread except for you (yeah, I've seen your pictures, you sexy beast).

It is not necessarily what one eats but what they do. Granted, I do eat more than just junk foods and fast foods. But one can have a 5000 calorie diet and still be fit as ****.

You saw the photo where I'm lifting the 600 pound shark over my head?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2013 03:59 PM
picerjamo

They'll lose weight and provide meat shields in the mean time.(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 28th, 2013 07:12 AM
picerjamo is currently offline Click here to Send picerjamo a Private Message Find more posts by picerjamo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Dolos
I saw a highschooler the other day, with the face of a middle schooler, who was about eight feet tall.

That would make him the tallest person on Earth.

Don't lie you fat, pasty, out of shape piece of shit.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2013 07:36 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by NemeBro
That would make him the tallest person on Earth.
He's using hyperbole, you illiterate retard.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 28th, 2013 08:54 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote