KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Mobile and Portable Electronics

Mobile and Portable Electronics
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

Mobile and Portable Electronics

This thread is for discussing mobile electronic devices, their operating systems, their firmeware, etc.

Tablets, mobile phones, and perhaps some laptops.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2014 12:16 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Recently, Android captured 84.6% of the market share.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2460...hone-share.html

Knowing this, this puts Apple's release of the larger phone this fall as a clear attempt to stop the loss of their market share in the mobile phone market.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2014 12:19 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I think the larger iPhone will be a play to get more profit share, which coincidentally will help Apple with the market share numbers.

A pure market share play might be coming in the future. But it's not going to be at the 505+$ ASP level.

Samsung I think is the one really feeling the heat. With Apple squeezing them from the top, and good Chinese manufacturers like Xiaomi, ZTE and Huawei getting to them from the bottom. Apple will be alright, and continue to grow for the foreseeable future, imo.

Also very excited to see what Motorola does under Lenovo, a potential top contender, in my view.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2014 12:45 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Well, dadudemon, you were correct on Apple viewing the bigger screen as the right thing to go. Not sure I like it, but there it is.

I think I will go get the 4.7 inch display iPhone 6. I have to think a bit more about it, because the iPhone 6 Plus can do some things more, but I'm pretty sure.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 07:21 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, dadudemon, you were correct on Apple viewing the bigger screen as the right thing to go. Not sure I like it, but there it is.

I think I will go get the 4.7 inch display iPhone 6. I have to think a bit more about it, because the iPhone 6 Plus can do some things more, but I'm pretty sure.

So wait....they are ditching their old form factor?

The 4 inch is going away?

I saw some of the live broadcast but it was in French.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 07:38 PM
Bardock42

Yeah, the new iPhones will only be in 4.7" and 5.5"

It will stay around for now in the form of the iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S, but the flagship is all bigger (or very bigger).

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 08:39 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by dadudemon
Recently, Android captured 84.6% of the market share.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2460...hone-share.html
Excellent.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 11:40 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 9th, 2014 11:42 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Yeah, the new iPhones will only be in 4.7" and 5.5"

It will stay around for now in the form of the iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S, but the flagship is all bigger (or very bigger).

Well....shit.

Apple, apparently, did some research that led them to conclude that they should get rid of the small form factor. There's no way they would abandon the quite popular smaller form factor unless the results were very strong for them. This is not something I thought they would do.

But, Apple has a different approach to business: they keep the number of models very low to reduce their manufacturing costs (greatly). So they mass produce (which requires several 3rd party manus to participate) tens of millions of the same exact model. Dat savvy business model...

Old Post Sep 10th, 2014 02:42 AM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Apple has managed to position itself as a 'luxury' brand with their marketing tactics.
It's the same thing that Rolex did.

Both these models will sell like hotcakes, on the virtue that they are Apple-branded.
Coupled by the fact that they are the first mobile company (I know not many technically-savvy people are aware of this) that has completely transitioned their OS to be fully optimized to 64-bit.

Like their predessors, these models will be faster and more efficient than ANY flagship Android counterpart that is or will be available in the foreseeable future (unless Qualcomm makes a fully compatible 64-bit in less than a month to compete with the 5s/6/6 Plus, which I highly doubt).

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Sep 10th, 2014 at 04:14 AM

Old Post Sep 10th, 2014 04:08 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Apple isn't really pure luxury like Rolex though. It's affordable luxury. That's a big difference. You are right that it is a status symbol, but they are also extremely well made machines. The comparison that I always find the most astute is German "luxury" car manufacturers. Apple is the BMW oder Mercedes Benz of smartphones, while, say Samsung, is more like the Toyota (also perfectly suitable machines, but you get something extra with that "luxury" brand)

You make a good point about the 64 bit, too. Apple's business model grants them that advantage, they have now the second flagship phone on a 64 bit architecture (I remember Qualcomm was dismissive initially at the 64 bit, calling it a gimmick, until a week later they announced they had their own sometime next year). Next year they likely won't be selling a phone that does not have a 64 bit processor (well, we'll see what happens with the 5C). Android, afaik, has not one flagship phone that runs on 64 bit, the transition will take much, much longer, and likely even longer for Windows Phone. These are advantages that put Apple's hardware even ahead on a specs race (which is uncommon, Apple is more about integrating the top of the line in a more complete way).

Old Post Sep 10th, 2014 08:09 AM
dadudemon

Apple isn't really pure luxury like Rolex though. It's affordable luxury. That's a big difference. You are right that it is a status symbol, but they are also extremely well made machines. The comparison that I always find the most astute is German "luxury" car manufacturers. Apple is the BMW oder Mercedes Benz of smartphones, while, say Samsung, is more like the Toyota (also perfectly suitable machines, but you get something extra with that "luxury" brand)

You make a good point about the 64 bit, too. Apple's business model grants them that advantage, they have now the second flagship phone on a 64 bit architecture (I remember Qualcomm was dismissive initially at the 64 bit, calling it a gimmick, until a week later they announced they had their own sometime next year). Next year they likely won't be selling a phone that does not have a 64 bit processor (well, we'll see what happens with the 5C). Android, afaik, has not one flagship phone that runs on 64 bit, the transition will take much, much longer, and likely even longer for Windows Phone. These are advantages that put Apple's hardware even ahead on a specs race (which is uncommon, Apple is more about integrating the top of the line in a more complete way).

There is a Windows Phone that is going to be released with a 64-bit architecture.

Also, Android phones have been on the slab for 64-bit architecture, for a while, but I am not sure if they have 64-bit phones on the market or not.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2014 04:26 PM
Bardock42

Yeah, 64 bit is coming out slowly on Android and Windows Phone. But like I said, I don't think there's any flagship phones out with a 64 bit chip of either of those. And the transition away from 32 bit, will take a while still, for them.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2014 04:40 PM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

That's what I meant.

Both brands (Apple and Rolex) are viewed as status symbols.
And both brands use marketing tactics to increase the demand and price for their respective products.

Rolex wasn't a luxury watchmaker back in the early days.
They were a small company that made cheap divers watches.
And Hamilton (a low-tier Swiss watchmaker nowadays) used to be on par with Patek Philippe.
Just to make my point clear that marketing strategies can make or break the demand for items deemed "luxurious".

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Sep 10th, 2014 at 07:04 PM

Old Post Sep 10th, 2014 06:59 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I ordered the iPhone 6 (64GB, Space Gray). Should get it on or around release day. The shipping date is now up to 3-4 weeks.

Really excited.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2014 11:12 AM
dadudemon

I ordered the iPhone 6 (64GB, Space Gray). Should get it on or around release day. The shipping date is now up to 3-4 weeks.

Really excited.

Awesome.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2014 12:07 PM
Bardock42

It is.

Heard a rumor that maybe the Retina iPad Mini won't be updated this year. Would be very disappointed if that was true.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2014 12:45 PM
Bardock42

I have my iPhone 6 now, w00

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 02:28 PM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

How is the performance?

I ordered the iPhone 6 Plus from a relative in Dubai.
She promised me that she won't open the package. Will receive it by October.
But I want to hear your experience with the iPhone 6 (I assume the 6 Plus variant would have the same UI experience).

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 05:16 PM
Bardock42

I had the iPhone 6 for 4 days now, and I am very happy with it. Like I said in the other thread, performance is excellent with everything I tested, however it hasn't been an issue with the 5S either. The A7 chip was already plenty fast and the A8 is even better, but nothing really takes advantage of it yet. That means that currently the only big advantages of the iPhone 6 over the 5S are a) the big screen, which is lovely, it's a really good screen, obviously not the highest resolution on the market, but the colors are excellent and it's plenty sharp with the ~320 ppi and b) the camera improvements, in particular the 240fps slow motion is mind bogglingly cool.

I like to start over fresh when I get a new phone, so I only have my essential apps on it right now, but over the year I have it, I'm sure it'll get more cluttered again.

There are a lot of features I think are generally great on iPhones (at least 5S and up). For example I really love Touch ID, I like to have a longer password on my iPhone and for the App Store, and Touch ID saves me a load of time when I want to buy something or just log into my phone. And with iOS 8 developers can now use that sensor as well, so that's cool. Obviously I'm a big fan of the design, it just feels nicer than any other phone I ever owned. And the selection in the App Store is amazing, the apps are, imo, considerably better than the ones Android has to offer (however, most of the best ones are paid in some way or another).

iOS 8 also brought a lot of new features, a lot of them for developers, so that we'll see a lot of cool new stuff on the iPhone soon. Many of these features existed in some way on Android before, but that's just the different priorities of Google/Samsung/etc. and Apple. I really like third party keyboards and use Swype constantly. Through extensions sharing has gotten a lot easier and better, that was an aspect where Android was vastly superior, although there were good enough work arounds even before. Widgets in the Notification Center are pretty cool, I'm looking forward to seeing more from developers.

I had a couple problems and annoyances as well, most of them should get fixed in time, as we get to iOS 8.1 and so on, but I should mention them. On the iPhone 6 I sometimes get a bug where it won't find my wifi network anymore, it just keeps searching for it, so far the only way I found to fix it was a quick restart. Also, sometimes Notifications stay around for a couple extra seconds and I'm not able to dismiss them with a swipe up as usual, I assume that has to do with the new answering straight from a message. On the iPhone 5S with iOS 8 I had an issue where the third party keyboard Swype wouldn't show up, but on the iPhone 6 it works. And well, NFC won't be open to developers initially and just work with Apple Pay, which makes it virtually useless in Germany (and also in the Middle East) currently.

The iPhone 6 Plus UI is actually a little different than the iPhone 6. In portrait they are the same, but in landscape there will be more information displayed sometimes. That means you may have a list of your email on the left, and the email content on the right, where you'd only have one of these screens on the iPhone 6. In essence, in landscape it behaves a bit more like an iPad.

If you want I can give you a quick overview of the apps I use and how I use the phone for work and fun as well. But maybe you can tell me what you want to use your smartphone for, first.

Oh and last, a screenshot of my home screen (as it was on saturday):

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2014 12:39 PM