KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Interesting social experiment, but way too complex...

Interesting social experiment, but way too complex...
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Interesting social experiment, but way too complex...

...at least for my old man self.
I just take people on a case by case basis.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ter_dailymailus

quote:
University of Tennessee tells staff and students to stop using 'he' and 'she' - and switch to 'xe', 'zir' and 'xyr' instead
Gay rights official at Knoxville campus wrote new language instructions
Tells students and staff to use unusual, gender-neutral pronouns like 'xe'
Donna Braquet said that the new regime would make campus 'inclusive'
University clarified that guidelines are not compulsory after critics called them 'absurd'
By KIERAN CORCORAN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 17:54 GMT, 28 August 2015 | UPDATED: 00:00 GMT, 29 August 2015

The University of Tennessee has told its staff and students to stop calling each other 'he', 'she', 'him' and 'her' - and to start referring to one another with terms like 'xe', 'zir' and 'xyr' instead.
The Knoxville branch of the public university, which has 27,400 students, sent a memo round to its members filled with unusual new parts of speech to avoid referring to anybody's gender.
According to a gay rights official at the university, the new language regime will make the university 'welcoming and inclusive' and stop people feeling 'marginalized'.
New regime: Pictured above is a conversion table given to staff and students at the University of Tennessee's Knoville campus to instruct them in the use of non-gendered pronouncs
+2
New regime: Pictured above is a conversion table given to staff and students at the University of Tennessee's Knoville campus to instruct them in the use of non-gendered pronouncs
The university published the instructions on its website on Wednesday after they were emailed to every member of the university by the institution's Vice Chancellor for Diversity.
Officials have since insisted the the guidelines are not compulsory and that they do not want to 'dictate speech'.
Donna Braquet, who runs the university's Pride Center, wrote the guidelines, which are accompanied with a long table demonstrating how to replace the regular parts of speech.

California college asks students to choose from SIX genders...

(please log in to view the image)

She also advises staff members not to call roll in class, and to instead greet every student by asking them to announce their name and pronoun of preference.
Instead of 'he' and 'she', Braquet suggests four alternatives.
One is the commonplace strategy of using 'they', 'them' and 'their' for individuals rather than groups.
She also suggests 'ze' and 'xe' - both pronounced 'zhee' - and a variety of secondary conjugations to be used for anybody who rejects the traditional gender binary.
Barquet argues that if everybody follows her instructions, campus will become 'more inclusive'.
Instructions: Donna Braquet, a gay rights official at the university, wrote the guidelines, which were sent to the entire university

Instructions: Donna Braquet, a gay rights official at the university, wrote the guidelines, which were sent to the entire university
She wrote: 'When our organizational culture shifts to where asking for chosen names and pronouns is the standard practice, it alleviates a heavy burden for persons already marginalized by their gender expression or identity.'
There is no information on the numbers of students on campus who do not identify as the traditional genders, as the university's official data only recognizes male and female.
In an interview with DailyMail.com, Rickey Hall, the university's vice chancellor for diversity, said he was 'ancedotally' aware of students on campus who reject traditional gender divisions.
After a backlash from critics who called the proposals 'ridiculous' and 'absurd', the university clarified that nobody would be forced into using the terms.
In an interview with Fox News commentator Todd Starnes, Tennessee state senator Mae Beavers, a Republican, said: 'It’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.
'If you must interview a student before you greet the student, that’s not acceptance – that’s just absurd.'
A statement from a university spokesman said: 'We would like to offer clarification of the statements that have been made referring to gender-neutral language.
'There is no mandate or official policy to use the language. The information provided in our Office of Diversity and Inclusion newsletter was offered as a resource to our campus community on inclusive practices.
'We recognize that most people prefer to use the pronouns he and she; we do not dictate speech.
'We do strive to be a diverse and inclusive campus and to ensure that everyone feels welcome, accepted, and respected.'

Old Post Aug 30th, 2015 12:51 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

Bah gawd.

My pronoun of choice is master or lord.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2015 03:25 PM
Henry_Pym is currently offline Click here to Send Henry_Pym a Private Message Find more posts by Henry_Pym Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Is it possible to punch an entire university in the face all at once?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2015 03:29 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

This is when I would be yelling out loud "AM I REALLY PAYING THESE ASSHATS TO TEACH ME?"

Old Post Aug 30th, 2015 03:55 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^laughing

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
Is it possible to punch an entire university in the face all at once?

No. I tried last month. sad

Old Post Aug 30th, 2015 04:13 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Phuck em.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2015 07:50 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Them or Xem?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2015 04:35 AM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Tools. Do they really think imitating Tumblr IRL is a good idea?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2015 05:25 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I'm personally not really a fan of alternative pronouns like "ze" or "xe". With "they" English has a perfectly fine pronoun that does not indicate gender. I do however think it is a good idea for many reasons to raise awareness about personal pronouns, and challenge the prevalent assumption that pronouns should be derivable from appearance as well as that using a gendered pronoun should be a default.

Additionally the way this article is written, and that it is from the daily mail, makes me think that a lot of its content is misleading, though I'm not gonna google it. At any rate, being considerate of other people's gender identity and not being presumptuous is a good goal, and I think we should all try to be better in regards to it.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2015 07:26 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I used to read a comic called Grim Jack, that dealt with beings from myriad realities by simply addressing them as sentients...

Old Post Aug 31st, 2015 09:43 AM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Bardock42
I'm personally not really a fan of alternative pronouns like "ze" or "xe". With "they" English has a perfectly fine pronoun that does not indicate gender. I do however think it is a good idea for many reasons to raise awareness about personal pronouns, and challenge the prevalent assumption that pronouns should be derivable from appearance as well as that using a gendered pronoun should be a default.

thumb up

Old Post Aug 31st, 2015 12:43 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

There are those who'll claim that using "they" as a singular pronoun is incorrect, and that he/she is the only proper non-gendered pronoun for singular people. Don't listen to them, apart from being ridiculous to write "he/she" all the time, the grammatical rule that disallows singular use of "they" is a pretty recent mutation that doesn't have much historical backing.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2015 12:46 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^I've heard that before, in s couple of courses i attended in the Army. Good call.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2015 12:59 PM
StyleTime

"A statement from a university spokesman said:...'There is no mandate or official policy to use the language. The information provided in our Office of Diversity and Inclusion newsletter was offered as a resource to our campus community on inclusive practices.'

Some are overreacting. They're not requiring anyone to use it, just offering an alternative option for those who want it.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2015 05:08 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I say we take a page out of HK-47's book and just refer to everyone as "meatbags".

This is your new God:

(please log in to view the image)

Originally posted by StyleTime
"A statement from a university spokesman said:...'There is no mandate or official policy to use the language. The information provided in our Office of Diversity and Inclusion newsletter was offered as a resource to our campus community on inclusive practices.'

Some are overreacting. They're not requiring anyone to use it, just offering an alternative option for those who want it.

I don't think anyone here actually thought this was being forced upon students. Since any college hoping to stay in business would be crazy to force this shit on people.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2015 05:24 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^isnt meatbag what Bender called humans on Futurama?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2015 05:45 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by riv6672
^^^isnt meatbag what Bender called humans on Futurama?

Yes, but Bender isn't this awesome:

Old Post Aug 31st, 2015 08:48 PM
riv6672

I dunno...

Old Post Sep 1st, 2015 04:29 AM
NemeBro

Originally posted by Omega Vision
There are those who'll claim that using "they" as a singular pronoun is incorrect, and that he/she is the only proper non-gendered pronoun for singular people. Don't listen to them, apart from being ridiculous to write "he/she" all the time, the grammatical rule that disallows singular use of "they" is a pretty recent mutation that doesn't have much historical backing.
thumb up thumb up thumb up

The writing lab I had to do for my Comp 1 course actually marked the singular use of "they" to refer to a person of unspecified gender as wrong, and the "correct" way was to use "he or she" or "his or her", which made me shit my pants in anger. My professor even said that it was ****ing stupid, and using "they" was fine.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2015 05:44 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

At least he or she (your professor), was cool about it...wink

Old Post Sep 1st, 2015 09:43 AM