KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » The Stanford Prison Experiment was very influential. We just learned it was a fraud

The Stanford Prison Experiment was very influential. We just learned it was a fraud
Started by: Surtur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Stanford Prison Experiment was very influential. We just learned it was a fraud

The Stanford Prison Experiment was massively influential. We just learned it was a fraud.

"But its findings were wrong. Very wrong. And not just due to its questionable ethics or lack of concrete data — but because of deceit.

A new exposé based on previously unpublished recordings of Philip Zimbardo, the Stanford psychologist who ran the study, and interviews with his participants, offers convincing evidence that the guards in the experiment were coached to be cruel. It also shows that the experiment’s most memorable moment — of a prisoner descending into a screaming fit, proclaiming, “I’m burning up inside!” — was the result of the prisoner acting. “I took it as a kind of an improv exercise,” one of the guards told reporter Ben Blum. “I believed that I was doing what the researchers wanted me to do.”

Interesting. If this was so influential...that means a fraudulent study has been influencing psychology for decades.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2018 04:16 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
The Stanford Prison Experiment was massively influential. We just learned it was a fraud.

"But its findings were wrong. Very wrong. And not just due to its questionable ethics or lack of concrete data — but because of deceit.

A new exposé based on previously unpublished recordings of Philip Zimbardo, the Stanford psychologist who ran the study, and interviews with his participants, offers convincing evidence that the guards in the experiment were coached to be cruel. It also shows that the experiment’s most memorable moment — of a prisoner descending into a screaming fit, proclaiming, “I’m burning up inside!” — was the result of the prisoner acting. “I took it as a kind of an improv exercise,” one of the guards told reporter Ben Blum. “I believed that I was doing what the researchers wanted me to do.”

Interesting. If this was so influential...that means a fraudulent study has been influencing psychology for decades.

Welcome to Psychology where all of the research is questionable and only agendas are being pushed.

There is still value in some psyche research. But it's probably the muddiest and most questionable real science out there.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2018 08:02 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
Welcome to Psychology where all of the research is questionable and only agendas are being pushed.

There is still value in some psyche research. But it's probably the muddiest and most questionable real science out there.

Wait if it's all questionable why do people act like certain things are factual? Like, for instance, the people who say sex and gender are different and that gender is a social construct.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2018 08:18 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Wait if it's all questionable why do people act like certain things are factual? Like, for instance, the people who say sex and gender are different and that gender is a social construct.

I don't think most psychologists will make that claim. None I know do.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2018 08:19 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't think most psychologists will make that claim. None I know do.

So these people are acting like something is fact even though most psychologists wouldn't claim it was? Damn lol.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2018 08:21 PM
dadudemon

So these people are acting like something is fact even though most psychologists wouldn't claim it was? Damn lol.

Here's a good read:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...at-does-tell-us

I suggest you read the whole thing.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2018 08:31 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Here's a good read:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...at-does-tell-us

I suggest you read the whole thing.

When you said all research is questionable...were you being literal? Or hyperbolic? Cuz if it was literal...would this not be questionable?

Old Post Jun 14th, 2018 08:35 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yep. I remember this being taught in my Psych 101 class. I could smell the BS a mile away.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jun 14th, 2018 11:28 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

When you said all research is questionable...were you being literal? Or hyperbolic? Cuz if it was literal...would this not be questionable?

It's a summary of all the current research and problems. It's more a caution to not make sweeping generalizations and take hard stances. You probably didn't read the whole thing because it doesn't get like that until about halfway.

Did you read something that goes against your anti-Transgender narrative and you didn't like it? If so, what was it? Some of the science in there is not psychology. In fact, I'd say most of it isn't.

So if you want to be skeptical of a skeptical summary, that's fine. You should be.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2018 03:42 AM
Flyattractor

Prisons just aint what they used to be.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2018 05:43 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

I think that has more to do with definition than psychology.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2018 09:18 AM
NewGuy01 is online now! Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Well, considering many of the giants of the field did have a personal stake in their work combating forms of discrimination, that affected them personally..

What do they say about how shrinks become shrinks because they have personal baggage? That's the industry in a nutshell..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2018 03:25 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote