KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Would you rather be smart or attractive?

Would you rather be smart or attractive?
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Would you rather be smart or attractive?

Option 1: your IQ increases 2 standard deviations, everything else stays the same

Option 2: you become what most people would consider a 9/10 aesthetically, everything else stays the same (and nobody questions why you suddenly look different)

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 04:33 AM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Tough Call. With IQ you have to Use said IQ to achieve your goals and keep others from taking away it away from you.

With Attractiveness. You can get success pretty much just Handed to you. Sure you have to PUT OUT on occasion but still....

I think I would take IQ. Just for the Challenge and thrill of it. And not having to Fark with some Ugly People to get what I want.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 04:37 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

IQ. I'm pretty happy with how I look already, fixing my aesthetic flaws naturally would be much easier than increasing my IQ.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 04:45 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

I wonder if you would feel the same after you get the "IQ" Cure.

You know...once you learn that your mother was lying to you about being Good Looking.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 04:49 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
IQ. I'm pretty happy with how I look already, fixing my aesthetic flaws naturally would be much easier than increasing my IQ.

thumb up

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 05:27 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

As a general rule, it's hard to say really. On one hand, I'm not really so ambitious that I feel I need a higher IQ than I have, and being extraordinarily attractive would probably be more useful in several areas of life than it seems at face value. On the other hand, in the case of this thread, two standard deviations... that's no joke. Like BackFire said, at least with your physical appearance there's various alternative means of addressing it... the option of magically becoming a genius definitely seems like more of an opportunity.

I feel this thread could be improved by lowering the IQ increase to 1 standard deviation. As it stands you'd either have to be retarded (so that you'd still be unexceptional with the INT buff) or hideous (so that being a 9/10 is worth the INT buff) to pass it up.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 06:21 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by NewGuy01
As a general rule, it's hard to say really. On one hand, I'm not really so ambitious that I feel I need a higher IQ than I have, and being extraordinarily attractive would probably be more useful in several areas of life than it seems at face value. On the other hand, in the case of this thread, two standard deviations... that's no joke. Like BackFire said, at least with your physical appearance there's various alternative means of addressing it... the option of magically becoming a genius definitely seems like more of an opportunity.

I feel this thread could be improved by lowering the IQ increase to 1 standard deviation. As it stands you'd either have to be retarded (so that you'd still be unexceptional with the INT buff) or hideous (so that being a 9/10 is worth the INT buff) to pass it up.

thumb up

Honestly though I feel like even a retarded person would find... not being retarded preferable to being 9/10

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 06:23 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Emperordmb
thumb up

Honestly though I feel like even a retarded person would find... not being retarded preferable to being 9/10

I'm not so sure. There's risks involved, but I suspect that someone that is dumb but very attractive is more likely to be successful than someone who is unremarkable both in intelligence and appearance.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 06:32 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by Emperordmb
thumb up

One way to find out, ask h1a8 which one he'd pick.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 06:33 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CroftAlice

The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 06:52 AM
CroftAlice is currently offline Click here to Send CroftAlice a Private Message Find more posts by CroftAlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I'm not so sure. There's risks involved, but I suspect that someone that is dumb but very attractive is more likely to be successful than someone who is unremarkable both in intelligence and appearance.

You're expecting a retarded person to do that calculus, rather than go with the instinctive reaction to correct the attribute that they've likely felt self-conscious about falling short on in society?

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 06:54 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

No, not really. Especially not if we're dealing with someone who is clinically retarded, as opposed to someone who's just dumb. I'm just saying that it may still be in their best interest to do so, as opposed to someone who could become truly exceptional by going up some 30-odd IQ points.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 07:03 AM
BackFire

Also worth mentioning that your good looks will deteriorate in time with age, intelligence won't.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 08:08 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

For the record, I'd take the IQ boost

Also worth mentioning that your good looks will deteriorate in time with age, intelligence won't.

Alzheimer's
Senility

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 08:23 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

True, but those are no guarantee. Physically aging is.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 08:24 AM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I feel this thread could be improved by lowering the IQ increase to 1 standard deviation.

Funnily enough I was about to say this myself.

I'd take the 2-STD in a heartbeat - that would probably give me good odds to make a groundbreaking advancement in my profession and drastically open up the set of things I can accomplish. It would change *everything*.

One standard deviation is tougher, but frankly I'd still probably take the intelligence boost. It's just a more diverse benefit. From a purely selfish standpoint it would be a difficult choice though.

The high-attractiveness/low-IQ would probably make both extreme success and extreme failure more likely.

Last edited by The Ellimist on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 08:41 AM

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 08:39 AM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Gonna go with IQ, tbh.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 08:46 AM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

IQ is overrated, I’d rather be a magnet for swarthy males

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 09:24 AM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

True, but those are no guarantee. Physically aging is.

^^^you could always be a silver fox though!

I guess i’d go for smart, for the gell of it.
Being long time married and retired, i dont really need either, but smart might be fun to screw around with, tinkering and backyard inventing.

Last edited by riv6672 on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 09:40 AM

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 09:36 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm smart and beautiful... Lucky I guess.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2018 11:16 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote