KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Cutting cable cord/streaming service help

Cutting cable cord/streaming service help
Started by: Badabing

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Badabing
Karen

Cutting cable cord/streaming service help

I want to get rid of cable. I was looking into Hulu and think it's the best fit. All my TVs are smart TVs, so that won't be an issue.

My questions for people who use streaming services are:

- Did you buy a Fire Stick or Roku? Are they needed, or recommended, for smart TVs?

- Are there separate boxes/remotes used, or available, with Hulu?

- Do shows air at their normal times, or are they just ready for streaming once they air?

Edit:
- I live in the USA, if there are other streaming services you'd recommend please post them.

Thank you in advance.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jul 26th, 2019 06:24 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I have and used at one time or another an Amazon stick, Google, Roku and Apple TV. If you have a smart TV, you shouldn't need any of these, you should be able to download all the apps you need and launch directly from the television.

They all come with remotes except for the Google device, that one you control with a smart phone or tablet (unless the never ones have remotes now?)

Hulu tends to release their shows (eg Handmaid's Tale) on a weekly basis, Netflix releases the whole season at once. I think Amazon also releases the whole season at once.

I have Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix, here's how I'd rate them in terms of use and content:

Netflix
Amazon Prime
Hulu

But each have shows that are specific to their platform and also of note, Netflix will be losing a lot of content with the upcoming surge of new services like Disney's, HBO's new streaming service and there's others I forget.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Jul 26th, 2019 at 06:50 PM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2019 06:47 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

If you like any of the HBO stuff, HBONow. I watched Westworld on mobile when I was traveling a lot last year. It was nice.

Everything else Robtard said: thumb up

Also, if you are an Apple person, get an AppleTV. If not, you should be fine with what you've suggested.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2019 06:58 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

I cannot seem to get high-speed Internet service without a cable television package.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2019 07:48 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Some providers do that in some areas, as a way to force services on customers.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 26th, 2019 07:52 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I have a roku stick. The tv I bought came with its own roku but it works like shit and always f*cks up.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2019 07:54 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

An amazon stick is the way to go really.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2019 08:19 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Forget all that stupid shit and be a real dinosaur - torrent stuff.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2019 08:34 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
staxamillion
Sir Snikts-A-Lot

firestick - it is way easy to get third party apps that you can still stream cable channels and more for no cost... I mean if you are into that sorta thong

Old Post Jul 26th, 2019 08:55 PM
staxamillion is currently offline Click here to Send staxamillion a Private Message Find more posts by staxamillion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Cutting cable cord/streaming service help

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Badabing
I want to get rid of cable. I was looking into Hulu and think it's the best fit. All my TVs are smart TVs, so that won't be an issue.

- Did you buy a Fire Stick or Roku? Are they needed, or recommended, for smart TVs?

- Do shows air at their normal times, or are they just ready for streaming once they air?

Edit:
- I live in the USA, if there are other streaming services you'd recommend please post them.

Thank you in advance.

Good thing you not one of those uncivilized europeans with no A/C.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2019 10:55 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stringer

Re: Cutting cable cord/streaming service help

Originally posted by Badabing

Edit:

Thank you in advance.

Sling tv. You can pick a bundle of your favorite stations and have live or prerecorded access. Hulu, Netflix and amazon prime are also good. I have a jail broken fire stick and it’s ok. **** cable tv

Old Post Jul 26th, 2019 11:02 PM
Stringer is currently offline Click here to Send Stringer a Private Message Find more posts by Stringer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

I did away with cable long ago. Such a waste of money it was. The only things I watched last year or so that I had it were the 2016 political debates and on occasion National Geographic and the History channel. Oh, and of course FOX political commentators like Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, and Laura Ingraham.

I can watch pretty much anything I need or want to on You Tube (including the 3 FOX commentators mentioned above) thru my PS3. Of course I also stream movies from Amazon on occasion as well. If I want news then You Tube is pretty decent for that as well... so is twitter and other places on the internet.

I don't really use a seperate "box" or something similar to stream from Amazon unless you count my PS3 as one.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Last edited by eThneoLgrRnae on Jul 26th, 2019 at 11:40 PM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2019 11:37 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Good thing you not one of those uncivilized europeans with no A/C.

laughing laughing

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Jul 26th, 2019 11:38 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TempAccount
Nippon Daisuki

I don't watch any TV anymore, including streaming services. I'm slowly phasing YouTube out of my life as well.

Banzai Nippon! ばんざい にっぽん!

Old Post Jul 27th, 2019 01:50 AM
TempAccount is currently offline Click here to Send TempAccount a Private Message Find more posts by TempAccount Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

No wonder Bada is Mod of an InterWeb Message Board.

Dude is Def ao Old Tech Dino.

He don't know how his Smart TV's Work

HAHAHAH!

Old Post Jul 27th, 2019 05:43 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Robtard
I have and used at one time or another an Amazon stick, Google, Roku and Apple TV. If you have a smart TV, you shouldn't need any of these, you should be able to download all the apps you need and launch directly from the television.

They all come with remotes except for the Google device, that one you control with a smart phone or tablet (unless the never ones have remotes now?)

Hulu tends to release their shows (eg Handmaid's Tale) on a weekly basis, Netflix releases the whole season at once. I think Amazon also releases the whole season at once.

I have Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix, here's how I'd rate them in terms of use and content:

Netflix
Amazon Prime
Hulu

But each have shows that are specific to their platform and also of note, Netflix will be losing a lot of content with the upcoming surge of new services like Disney's, HBO's new streaming service and there's others I forget.
thumb up to all of this.

And yes, Disney's streaming service is going to absolutely crush most of the others. If it ends up having as much content as they've hinted at(and it should given that Disney owns most of the media market these days), I'll probably end up dropping my Netfilx and Hulu subscriptions.

Hell, Disney owns the majority share of Hulu now as well, so that content might also end up trickling into their streaming service.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jul 28th, 2019 03:20 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by Robtard

Netflix
Amazon Prime
Hulu

Originally posted by Surtur
I have a roku stick. The tv I bought came with its own roku but it works like shit and always f*cks up.
Originally posted by SquallX
An amazon stick is the way to go really.
Originally posted by staxamillion
firestick - it is way easy to get third party apps that you can still stream cable channels and more for no cost... I mean if you are into that sorta thong
Originally posted by Stringer
Sling tv. You can pick a bundle of your favorite stations and have live or prerecorded access. Hulu, Netflix and amazon prime are also good. I have a jail broken fire stick and it’s ok. **** cable tv
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
I did away with cable long ago. Such a waste of money it was. The only things I watched last year or so that I had it were the 2016 political debates and on occasion National Geographic and the History channel. Oh, and of course FOX political commentators like Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, and Laura Ingraham.

I can watch pretty much anything I need or want to on You Tube (including the 3 FOX commentators mentioned above) thru my PS3. Of course I also stream movies from Amazon on occasion as well. If I want news then You Tube is pretty decent for that as well... so is twitter and other places on the internet.

I don't really use a seperate "box" or something similar to stream from Amazon unless you count my PS3 as one.
Thanks for the help.
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Forget all that stupid shit and be a real dinosaur - torrent stuff.
Ha! I have a home cloud with hundreds of movies I had already torrented. lol

My main TV is a 70' LG 4K smart TV from 2016. For some reason it excludes Hulu from their apps. Hence some my questions. The info has been very helpful and I will be saying goodbye to cable this week. thumb up

Originally posted by Flyattractor
No wonder Bada is Mod of an InterWeb Message Board.

Dude is Def ao Old Tech Dino.

He don't know how his Smart TV's Work

HAHAHAH!
You just can't help yourself from being a douche canoe. erm

Warned for off topic posting, trolling and most importantly, ETC! thumb up

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jul 28th, 2019 03:22 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by Galan007
thumb up to all of this.

And yes, Disney's streaming service is going to absolutely crush most of the others. If it ends up having as much content as they've hinted at(and it should given that Disney owns most of the media market these days), I'll probably end up dropping my Netfilx and Hulu subscriptions.

Hell, Disney owns the majority share of Hulu now as well, so that content might also end up trickling into their streaming service.
Thanks Galan. I know I've PMed you before about streaming. But my cable/internet bill is $225 now and it needs to stop. Thanks for the help.

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jul 28th, 2019 03:23 PM