KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Dems block the vote in the Senate

Dems block the vote in the Senate
Started by: BrolyBlack

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dems block the vote in the Senate

For Cornoa relief and now Nancy wants to redo the whole bill.

Pathetic

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 03:14 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

What reasons did they give for blocking it?

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 04:15 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

No reason worth being a reason

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 04:24 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Okay, but what reasons did they try to claim?

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 04:29 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

"Trump"

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 05:16 PM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

The main contention seems to be this:

quote:
Democrats have alleged the bill does too much to help prop up businesses without directing enough money to households, hospitals and health professionals. White House officials have acknowledged the unprecedented assistance the legislation would steer toward corporations, but they have said this money would help protect millions of jobs.

I think both sides have merit from their viewpoint, and the argument over this bill is actually a consummate epitome of conservative vs liberal economic policy. The Dems want money to go directly to the workers who are now unemployed, whereas the Repubs want the money going primarily to sustain the failing businesses that were involuntarily shut down. Again, where you fall in this argument depends on whether you think the backbone of the economy is the employees or the employers.

The thing is, they need to work out a compromise soon, but both parties are so fervent in their positions that they believe any compromise will mean surrender to the other side. And if the bill doesn't pass, both sides will blame each other based on their above stated ideologies. The American public will suffer, and both sides will use that suffering to proselytize their bases, and America's process of bipartisan brainwashing will continue it's eternal cycle.

BTW, saying the Dems hate it "cuz Trump" is eerily similar to when McConnell was refusing to pass Veteran Aid bills "cuz Obama". Again, bipartisan hypocrisy proves to be the poison of American thinking.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 05:41 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lestov16
The main contention seems to be this:

I think both sides have merit from their viewpoint, and the argument over this bill is actually a consummate epitome of conservative vs liberal economic policy. The Dems want money to go directly to the workers who are now unemployed, whereas the Repubs want the money going primarily to sustain the failing businesses that were involuntarily shut down. Again, where you fall in this argument depends on whether you think the backbone of the economy is the employees or the employers.

The thing is, they need to work out a compromise soon, but both parties are so fervent in their positions that they believe any compromise will mean surrender to the other side. And if the bill doesn't pass, both sides will blame each other based on their above stated ideologies. The American public will suffer, and both sides will use that suffering to proselytize their bases, and America's process of bipartisan brainwashing will continue it's eternal cycle.

BTW, saying the Dems hate it "cuz Trump" is eerily similar to when McConnell was refusing to pass Veteran Aid bills "cuz Obama". Again, bipartisan hypocrisy proves to be the poison of American thinking.

Seems like the Dems are right this time?

The people targeted by this (people making less than 55k for individuals and I don't remember what it is for married couples) are going to spend it all, anyway. Some businesses are just wanting that money to prop up their company and the people are not necessarily going to spend it on their business.

Airlines

Hotels

and all the other stuff people are not doing due to the inappropriate COVID-19 hystera.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 05:47 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

You suck /bash

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 06:01 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Originally posted by dadudemon

The people targeted by this (people making less than 55k for individuals and I don't remember what it is for married couples) are going to spend it all, anyway. Some businesses are just wanting that money to prop up their company and the people are not necessarily going to spend it on their business.

Airlines

Hotels

and all the other stuff people are not doing due to the inappropriate COVID-19 hystera.

I never said one side was right and the other was wrong. I said that both sides had merits to their arguments, which they do. One could make the argument that workers should be prioritized over businesses as people can create(or recreate) businesses, whereas businesses can't create people. People will hopefully spend it all, on necessities, as they will be unemployed for 9 months or more under quarantine and still must cover their nutrition, medicine, and utilities. I don't think it's even possible to waste it, as all extravagant spending locales have been closed down (unless they decide to foolishly splurge on Amazon). Also, it seems the Dems also want more money going towards the hospitals and health professionals who actually have to fight this thing. I think it's safe to say the hospitals need more increased and immediate funding than the airports/hotels atm.

I'm not saying you're 100% wrong, but I am saying that your views can be contested (and are being contested in Congress as we speak).

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 06:12 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Looks like they’d rather play politics then help out millions of out of work people. **** them they should be stripped of their office

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 08:09 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon

Airlines

Hotels

Nothing they pass will be perfect, but getting money out to *some* people who need it is better than nobody who needs it getting any money I would imagine. It seems like repubs wanted to give people cash and dems didn't think it went far enough and wanted unemployment insurance, etc. If it's the only plan they can get the repubs to pass I say go for it, it will be republicans who take the hit if it doesn't work out.

Dems need to decide how long they are willing to delay over this. Cuz it probably isn't just going to be republicans upset over this block.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 08:36 PM
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Surtur
It seems like repubs wanted to give people cash and dems didn't think it went far enough and wanted unemployment insurance, etc.

It seems like you did not read it, because Republicans want to give half-a-trillion dollars to corporations, and Democrats want to give money to actual people.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 10:00 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I gotcha, repubs bad dems good.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 10:01 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus

Nothing they pass will be perfect, but getting money out to *some* people who need it is better than nobody who needs it getting any money I would imagine. It seems like repubs wanted to give people cash and dems didn't think it went far enough and wanted unemployment insurance, etc. If it's the only plan they can get the repubs to pass I say go for it, it will be republicans who take the hit if it doesn't work out.

Dems need to decide how long they are willing to delay over this. Cuz it probably isn't just going to be republicans upset over this block.

This is a difficult situation. History, and human nature itself imo, would suggest that large corporate bailouts without strict regulations and direction for spending will create significant agency problems. Giving out money to corporations that might not necessarily use it to support the consumer (The backbone of the American economy) is a very possibility.

I haven't read the Bill, but perhaps 50/50 split in the funding, as simple as that seems? And much more allocation to hospitals and health care professionals? That last point should be bipartisan. Seems like the center has been hollowed out. Too many extreme voices.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 10:33 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Some corporate bailouts will be needed. We absolutely need to bail out the airlines even though they are greedy as f*ck(while also forbidding them from their stock buy back practices).

However, the question is *when* to bail them out. I'd save the corporations for last.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 10:36 PM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Anyone who truly believes that the democrats blocked this emergency bill because they truly care soooo much about American workers you are incredibly naive:

https:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWEyaJH2oPI

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 11:36 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Lestov16
I never said one side was right and the other was wrong. I said that both sides had merits to their arguments, which they do. One could make the argument that workers should be prioritized over businesses as people can create(or recreate) businesses, whereas businesses can't create people. People will hopefully spend it all, on necessities, as they will be unemployed for 9 months or more under quarantine and still must cover their nutrition, medicine, and utilities. I don't think it's even possible to waste it, as all extravagant spending locales have been closed down (unless they decide to foolishly splurge on Amazon). Also, it seems the Dems also want more money going towards the hospitals and health professionals who actually have to fight this thing. I think it's safe to say the hospitals need more increased and immediate funding than the airports/hotels atm.

I'm not saying you're 100% wrong, but I am saying that your views can be contested (and are being contested in Congress as we speak).

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
It seems like you did not read it, because Republicans want to give half-a-trillion dollars to corporations, and Democrats want to give money to actual people.

Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Anyone who truly believes that the democrats blocked this emergency bill because they truly care soooo much about American workers you are incredibly naive:

https:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWEyaJH2oPI

Looks like I am not getting a clear answer from anyone so I have to actually research this myself.

If I understand the situation correctly, no, the Republicans are not in the right and the Dems are correct, this time, to block it. And idiot can contest facts all they want: they are still an idiot. I have to deal with idiots on this very site and their contesting facts still does not matter - they are still wrong.

So I did some research...

The part 2 of this bill was passed, begrudingly, by the Republicans:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...ing-it-to-trump

They complained about this bill not covering small businesses. It didn't. 500 or more employees. This is the Dem's house bill that the Republicans begrudgingly passed. Trump signed it.

Part 3 is the one that is being contested.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pe...nse-bill-recess

https://www.countable.us/articles/4...rus-relief-bill

Here is what the Republicans wanted (and this is largely created with both parties and has bipartisan support, according to the article):

1. Direct cash payments to Americans (agreed)

2. Forgivable loans to small businesses to cover payroll, employee leave, rent, and other expenses (agreed)

3. Relief for distressed companies in hard hit sectors of the U.S. economy such as air travel & hospitality (disagreed : let them fail - these assets don't just evaporate if the large corporations go bankrupt)

4. Expanded unemployment insurance with waivers of the ordinary requirements that applicants look for work or go through a waiting period to get benefits (agreed)

5. Funding for hospitals & healthcare providers (agreed)

6. The phase-in provision, which limited recovery checks to $600 for people with small tax burdens, has been removed so those people could receive up to $1,200 per person. (The phase out provisions, which begin gradually at $75,000 for individual taxpayers & phase out entirely at $99,000 remain in the bill.) (agreed)

7. Forgivable loans for small businesses to cover payroll, leave, rent, other related expenses increased from $300 billion to $350 billion. The loans would only have to be repaid if funds are spent on other activities, and essentially convert to grants if spent on the previously described categories. (agreed)

8. Increased funding for hospitals up to a total of $100 billion, including $70 billion to be distributed by the Dept. of Health & Human Services (HHS). (agreed but only if all entities associated with these medical institutions agree to a 5 year lobbying moratorium so that a true Universal Healthcare bill can be passed in the future) smile

Here is what the Dems want above and beyond this:

1. $150 billion in loans for corporations. (disagreed, lol, wtf? Self-righteous hypocritical assholes)

2. A requirement that the airline industry offset its carbon emissions. (disagreed, stupid dumbass Democrats)

3. Reports related to pay equity and the diversity of corporate boards. (disagreed, holy shit, stop it you giant piece of shit Democrats. Enough of this identity politics bullshit)

4. An elimination of the U.S. Postal Service’s debt. (agreed but whatever it is just moving money around bank accounts)

5. Funding for audits of elections, same-day voter registration, and early voting. (agreed but this doesn't go far enough - should be a provision for electronic voting from mobile)

6. Minimum funding standards for community newspaper plans. (agreed? Whatever. Newspapers are going out but they are "small" local businesses)

7. Expanding collective bargaining powers for federal workers. (disagreed, stop with the union bullshit, Dems)

Old Post Mar 24th, 2020 02:00 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
meep-meep
What are you angry about?

^I agree with all that, and only that. No underlying political issues should be in this bill.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2020 03:14 AM
meep-meep is currently offline Click here to Send meep-meep a Private Message Find more posts by meep-meep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

DDM, part 3 are the points pushing Democrats to block the bill?

SMH. Also, enough with identity politics. Is it some kind of disease with the left? Wtf does pay equity and board diversity even mean? When is pay not equitable? How do you define diversity? What if you can’t find qualified people that fit your standard of diversity? This is a crisis and they want to play musical chairs with the BOD? What business does government have to dictate who’s on a board? If they bail out a company and want to have federal representatives on the board, that’s fine. A much better directive would be, at least two engineers on the board of an Aerospace company for example.

I’m going to have to read this bill myself. Dems are their own worst enemy. Running those points in an ad, if true, helps push another Trump victory.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2020 04:31 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
DDM, part 3 are the points pushing Democrats to block the bill?

SMH. Also, enough with identity politics. Is it some kind of disease with the left? Wtf does pay equity and board diversity even mean? When is pay not equitable? How do you define diversity? What if you can’t find qualified people that fit your standard of diversity? This is a crisis and they want to play musical chairs with the BOD? What business does government have to dictate who’s on a board? If they bail out a company and want to have federal representatives on the board, that’s fine. A much better directive would be, at least two engineers on the board of an Aerospace company for example.

I’m going to have to read this bill myself. Dems are their own worst enemy. Running those points in an ad, if true, helps push another Trump victory.

Yeah, I at first thought it was the GOP being bad. You can see my response to Lestov where I clearly was on the Dems side. Because I was a dumbass and was drinking the Mainstream Media koolaid and fell for the lies (I should not have done that because I know better).

But it turns out that the Dems are the ones being shitheads and I was wrong. I had to look at the damn details, myself, to determine the truth. That's frustrating. I went through CBS, Foxnews, and MSNBC articles before I could find real details.

And about your point, yes, I had to manage a large government contract with diversity provisions in it. I was practically begging black people and Native Americans to work for me because we didn't want fines. As long as they were just decently intelligent and had decent work ethic, I'd hire them. It felt racist as hell because I had to hire and consider people only based on the color of their skin. I singled people out just because of their ethnicity. It felt slimey and racist. Racist against the people I was overly zealous to hire and racist against all other candidates who may have been more qualified (Asians, Indians, and white people).

Old Post Mar 24th, 2020 02:27 PM