KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Veteran Forum

Veteran Forum
Started by: BackFire

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Veteran Forum

A forum for people who have been here over a year or so... would be a good insentive for people to stay around.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2003 11:55 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
G.P
living bank advertisement

But wouldn't some younger members (I am ) feel a little ostracized because they couldn't participate...
It may be a good idea and may agree with it (at least for the 'veterans', who could talk there as they used to before the rising of members last summer). But does the forum really need to try to keep its member ?

PS : I don't know if I am the right member to give my opinion here. I'm still a newbie, after all...

Last edited by G.P on Oct 5th, 2003 at 08:10 AM

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 08:04 AM
G.P is currently offline Click here to Send G.P a Private Message Find more posts by G.P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Well it would give you something to look forward too, plus i know several veteran members who would love it for sure. It would be something of a reward to those who have stuck with it.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 09:34 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

GP is right, people really do feel ostracised by such things and then we get into all sorts of hassle with people trying to become veterans and then compalining of bias when we do not see them as such.

The areas for the mods and JC members are the closest you get, and they are a necessity.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 11:33 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

hmmmm, tricky business, BF...
with that some members would feel like outcasts, a section where they are like ... prohibited to visit while the ones who can are also "just" members.

though I do think I know what feeling you have to get this forum through

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 11:34 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

dont know if veterans the right word. cos you would all say I'm a pretty active member, and most people know me, but I've only been here six months. and everyone loves lindsy and silver_tears, and theyve only been here a coupla months, and theyve posted more than me

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 01:12 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

well, I like you phoe smile
just a few more months and you're off the newbie-list wink

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 01:15 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix
dont know if veterans the right word. cos you would all say I'm a pretty active member, and most people know me, but I've only been here six months. and everyone loves lindsy and silver_tears, and theyve only been here a coupla months, and theyve posted more than me

as has been discussed before, post cound does not equate to credibility.

And i guess you're right us, never thought of the hassle it would induce. oh well stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 05:24 PM
yerssot

oh, no hassle intended huh wink

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 05:27 PM
BackFire

nah, i just know many of the old veterans dont come around as much because of how hectic the forum is, i thought it would be nice to give them a place that would be the way the forum used to be.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 05:28 PM
yerssot

well, perhaps some, but some because of having equired a real life

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 05:33 PM
BackFire

nah stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 05:35 PM
julibug

well, to throw in a thought - the gdf doesn't seem so overwhelming as it did for awhile before the otf was created. perhaps avoiding the super high-paced, less coherent areas would be all that is necessary. while i post there a little, i find the gdf, and various other areas of the site calmer and more welcoming. make sense?

Old Post Oct 6th, 2003 12:34 AM
julibug is currently offline Click here to Send julibug a Private Message Find more posts by julibug Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

yeah, thats very true, the gdf is very calm these days, with the otf taking all the traffic.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2003 12:59 AM
REXXXX
Networking

Yes, I agree...

Old Post Oct 6th, 2003 06:25 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LindsIsSexyK
ALL GROWN UP NOW =)

I guess this idea has already been discussed but I personally have neutral feelings on it. I'm a newbie so my opinion may not be the best but I really think that your member status should start to be decided by your socialization on KMC.

I personally feel that I am not a newbie, even though to all of the vet members I really am. I have made tons and tons of friends from here and even if I have never talked to the member before, I usually almost always know who that person is.

Just because I have only been a member since June, doesn't mean I haven't put in as much time and effort as the vet members to get to know people on KMC better, and also get to know how KMC works.

People change and forums change, things can't stay the same forever. I think that the vet members should stop trying to draw a line imbetween all of us because it just makes people feel more animosity towards each other.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2003 07:04 AM
LindsIsSexyK is currently offline Click here to Send LindsIsSexyK a Private Message Find more posts by LindsIsSexyK Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Yes, but these veteran members, who have been here for years i think would enjoy a little forum for themselves, i feel they earned it, but again, the newer members would get upset that their was a forum that they couldnt view, so i guess it wouldnt work.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2003 07:59 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The purpose of the OTF was to create a calmer GDF, of course, so if that is the effect then it is working just fine.

And we know forums evolve, Lindsay- I have seen it plenty of times- but on the other hand no-one has the right to come along and say that the established members who have made it what it is now have to be in a place that is run like the new people want it. Besides, the people who say that the oldies should change to like how the new people have made it now are normally the first to complain when a subsequent wave of posters wants to change it again. I've seen THAT several times as well...

Also, no offence, Lindsay, but you barely leave the OTF, so you can't really say you know how this place 'works'. You know how one section works- sure. But not the whole place.

However, I think this all demonstrates the big problems that would be caused by trying to tie down who is and who isn't a 'veteran' member. It really would cause resentment.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 6th, 2003 at 11:52 AM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2003 11:49 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

linds, you seem to feel personally attacked judging your reply messed
I assure you, that was not the intention of anyone

Old Post Oct 6th, 2003 05:51 PM
BackFire

It was just an idea, a way to give something to the poster who have been here the longest and contributed the most.

Linds, i agree, you are'nt a newbie, but i wouldnt consider you a veteran, just something in between. And in Linds' defense, i have started seeing her in forums other then the OTF lately, so thats good smile

Again, it was just an idea.

Last edited by BackFire on Oct 6th, 2003 at 07:25 PM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2003 07:22 PM