KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Why does the search engine SUCK?

Why does the search engine SUCK?
Started by: BlackC@

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

Why does the search engine SUCK?

Honestly, I typed in the EXACT title of a thread I made a week ago and it came up with nothing.

The search engine sucks. Can't we get a new one?

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 02:37 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

Believe it or not, that is the new search engine.

And people have been bitching about it for months. confused

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 03:05 AM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

It works just fine.

If you're looking for a specific thread title, then type 'title:thread title'.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 03:19 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

It always tells me that I'm using "invalid characters", which I guess is referring to the colon. Personally, I hate this new engine. Sometimes when don't know the exact title of a thread, I try to use keywords and I still get back nada.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 04:29 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

You can't put a space after the colon, that's why it says that.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 04:30 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ThorinWoofer
Static Stance

I have never had a problem with the search engine.

But then again, I hardly use it.

Please Respond To My PM Barker

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 04:38 AM
ThorinWoofer is currently offline Click here to Send ThorinWoofer a Private Message Find more posts by ThorinWoofer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I use it constantly and rarely am unable to find what I'm looking for

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 05:01 AM
ThorinWoofer
Static Stance

Maybe the search engine doesn't like certain members.

Please Respond To My PM Barker

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 05:21 AM
ThorinWoofer is currently offline Click here to Send ThorinWoofer a Private Message Find more posts by ThorinWoofer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BlackC@
Honestly, I typed in the EXACT title of a thread I made a week ago and it came up with nothing.

The search engine sucks. Can't we get a new one?
What were the search terms you used and what is the thread you're referring to?

I want to do a diagnostic on this.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 09:24 AM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I think the new search engine is useful in some aspects just as the old one was for others. Usually I find what I am looking for.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 10:37 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, it's definitely the fastest, most accurate and most useful we've ever had; just needs a bit of knowhow on how to operate it.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 01:03 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well, it's definitely the fastest, most accurate and most useful we've ever had; just needs a bit of knowhow on how to operate it.

I have to agree with you, now that Lana clarified what I was doing wrong (spacing after the colon in my search.) I would ask, however, that maybe a more detailed descriptor of how to use the new search engine, like one of those "Complete Idiot's Guide to using the new KMC Search Engine". Some would argue that such an action would be unnecessary, but then again, we do have some people on KMC who are candidates for brain transplants................myself included. stick out tongue

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 01:48 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Well said hun, I've given up attempting to use the Search Engine because I never got the desired results. Most likely because I wasn't doing it right laughing out loud

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Nov 26th, 2006 09:56 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

Originally posted by Ushgarak

Only for posts, does nothing for thread titles (yes I've tried the method Lana posted, how many average posters know that by the way?), which is pretty much the point of the search anyway so you dont make duplicates. So whenever a mod bitches about 'using the search', I can now reply 'I did, and it sucked so heres a duplicate' happy

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 05:59 AM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

The search engine works fine for me, thread titles included. I prefer it by far over the old one, since we can work with less than three characters now.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 08:31 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

How do you use it?

Look, I type in 'Jade Empire' for example, (this is the thread Im looking for: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...re+forumid%3A66 )

It comes up once in the normal search, on the third page. The rest are just posts mentioning it. I dont want to sit through and look at each page of search results for something that should come up clear as day.

I try the whole 'title:thread title' thing, 'title:Jade Empire' comes up with "Sorry, but no results were found for your search."

Its crap.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 10:07 AM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

I ticked off "Search titles only" and typed in "Jade Empire" beneath KMC Search.

Attachment: jade empire.jpg
This has been downloaded 224 time(s).

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 10:14 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

Oooh....you're using that search....Im talking about the one down the bottom of the page thats easier to use but a pain in the ass to get results..

That one searches the whole of KMC though, I just want to search the forum I know the thread is in, and it doesnt work.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 10:30 AM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Of course we are. You can narrow down your search by searching by forum, which I didn' t even do in your case. You can even narrow down further by searching by user.

Make poverty history.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 10:36 AM
Hazardous

Thats the part Im complaining about, searching by forum doesnt even give good results. It worked fine before the new one was put in place but now you can type in the entire thread title and not come up with anything, even though it is there.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 10:39 AM