KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Anti-Tarantino

Anti-Tarantino
Started by: sarahvma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
sarahvma

Anti-Tarantino

This guy needs his head examined. He's a Tarantino fan who created a site devoted to Tarantino's blatant "plaigerism" and made two movies showing how Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are rip-offs. I have one question: WHO THE HELL CARES? Honestly, if you're going to a) remake or b) pay hommage to another movie, what difference does it make? When has he ever denied doing this? Well, friends - at least this guy put some really great Dogs songs at the bottom of every page - and the opening page has 2 long Tarantino sound bites. So those are at least worth it.

Anti-Tarantino Page

Last edited by sarahvma on May 30th, 2004 at 07:27 PM

Old Post May 30th, 2004 07:25 PM
sarahvma is currently offline Click here to Send sarahvma a Private Message Find more posts by sarahvma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Is that sound clip suppose to be anti-Tarantino? I loved it.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post May 30th, 2004 08:15 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sarahvma

lol - the funny thing is, the guy who created the site loves Reservoir Dogs. To defend himself he basically said "I believe credit should be where credit is due, and Tarantino never credits the films he rips off" (that's not a direct quote)

Old Post May 30th, 2004 08:55 PM
sarahvma is currently offline Click here to Send sarahvma a Private Message Find more posts by sarahvma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sarahvma

Surf around to each part (conspiracy and so forth) and you'll find some really awesome Dogs songs.

Old Post May 30th, 2004 08:56 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I been to that guy website before. He is just paranoid in my opinion. He is not the first or last person to accused QT of plagerism. That guy should watch a QT movie without being so judgemental. Pity for him.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:33 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sarahvma

lol - I just don't get it. Everyone borrows and steals. The question is: is it good? I mean, how many original-story movies have you seen that have been crap?

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 11:08 PM
iheartpott er
Restricted

Account Restricted

The people who don't like Tarantino are the people who like traditional, formulatic films that they don't have to worry about thinking and just need pure entertainment. Sad but true.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2004 02:45 AM
iheartpott er is currently offline Click here to Send iheartpott er a Private Message Find more posts by iheartpott er Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

I visited that site...sad state of affairs if you ask me....why can't just enjoy the greatest films ever made rather than picking them apart...maybe he should watch the matrix a 1,000 times.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2004 06:49 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Boring page.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2004 07:06 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sarahvma

What does this guy want - a personal apology for being "lied to"?

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2004 03:35 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I guess he just want people to visit his site. He prolly likes visitors.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 01:49 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batmanrules

wait id like to know more about this dogs and pulp being ripoffs.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 11:01 PM
batmanrules is currently offline Click here to Send batmanrules a Private Message Find more posts by batmanrules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by iheartpott er
The people who don't like Tarantino are the people who like traditional, formulatic films that they don't have to worry about thinking and just need pure entertainment. Sad but true.

Wrong. That's your "personal assessment"; (see blanketed statement)

quote:
Originally posted by sarahvma
Honestly, if you're going to a) remake or b) pay hommage to another movie, what difference does it make? When has he ever denied doing this?

There's a difference between "paying homage" and ripping movies off, basically giving no credit where it's due.

quote:
Originally posted by batmanrules
wait id like to know more about this dogs and pulp being ripoffs.

"Reservoir Dogs" is his version of Chow Yun Fat's "City on Fire"

"Pulp Fiction" isn't so much a blatant lift of anything, it's the actual "homage" of all his films;

quote:

First, to address the detractors. Yes, Pulp Fiction is an extraordinary catalog of movie references. The glowing suitcase is a reference to Robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly. Harvey Keitel's "cleaner" character is a reference to Luc Besson's La Femme Nikita and its American remake, Point of No Return. Uma Thurman's haircut is a reference to silent actress Louise Brooks. The hypodermic scene (with Eric Stoltz and Rosanna Arquette) was lifted from Martin Scorsese's American Boy. The Ricky Nelson singer in the diner is a reference to Tarantino's favorite movie, Howard Hawks' Rio Bravo. Other scenes and lines of dialogue were lifted from Don Siegel's Charley Varrick, Jean-Luc Godard movies, Brian De Palma movies, John Woo movies, Jack Hill movies, and an entire video store more.

"Natural Born Killers" is basically 1973's "Badlands"

"True Romance" same thing, it also rode in on the coattails of a smiliar film in 1992,"Kalifornia"

"Kill Bill" is basically "The Bride Wore Black" and "Enter the Dragon"

I'm aware that he's never denied that he's "borrowed" ideas for movies, but my disgust lies moreso in his fans, than himself. I know that he's very unoriginal, alot of his true fans won't admit it. Just because someone "borrows" from hundreds of movies to make his own movie, and uses the common thread of filthy dialogue and sexism, either positive or vile, doesn't make him at all original.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2004 03:00 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I could really care less if his films rip off the premise of other films. Who cares? Every movie does that in some way or another. I find his films vastly entertaining and intriguing, that's all that matters to me.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2004 07:50 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
I could really care less if his films rip off the premise of other films. Who cares?

We all should. QT has 4 (or 5 depending on your POV) movies now, and each and every one of them is based on or around other films.

Dont get me wrong, i love going to see a new QT movie - I like the fact that he's bringing small audience geek fair to the large screen : I like the fact that he's dialog driven and despite the fact that it's the violence that gets the press his characters are all defined by what they have to say : he's undisputed master at what he does - BUT...

He's often hailed as an auteur, an original voice - and he's far from it: Scenes - some dialog - camera angles and motion - camera tricks - even his plots are lifted and tweaked from other sources:

He doesn't like to admit it and gets pissy when confronted by the overwhelming evidence - which is a shame because I think his steal and montage/collage approach is fantastic: Movie equivalent of sampling.

Trouble is that he should be paying royalties to the people who's work he's re-using.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 09:10 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roundisfunny

"Kill Bill" is like "Enter the Dragon" HOW, exactly? The version of "Enter the Dragon" I saw was about a group of fighters (Bruce Lee among them) invited to the island lair of an evil genius to do battle. That doesn't sound anything remotely like any element of "Kill Bill", except maybe "fighters" and "battle", in which case, I suppose, "Kill Bill" is also a rip-off of "Braveheart", "Star Trek: First Contact", "Birth of a Nation", "Scooby-Doo" and a few thousand others.

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Aug 8th, 2004 10:40 PM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

I don’t really see any of Enter the Dragon in Kill Bill either - I did see the direction of Brian DePalma, Hershell Gordon Lewis, Sergio Leone & a shitload of The Shaw Brothers. Not to mention direct lifts of scenes and ideas including Battle Royale, The Bride wore Black, Hannie Caulder, Lady Snowblood, Dead and Burried, Black Sunday, They call her One Eye, Master Killer, Chinese Boxer, Fudoh, Black Lizard - the list goes on…

At least QT is fessing up this time and admitting he stole the stuff.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2004 11:51 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by roundisfunny
"Kill Bill" is like "Enter the Dragon" HOW, exactly?

Aside from the yellow jumpsuit, the entire "Crazy 88" showdown was lifted directly from "Enter the Dragon", where Bruce Lee tripped the alarm when he goes to inspect the island, he was overwhelmed by henchmen.

Zero, the list does indeed go on. Ichi the Killer, Yojimbo, Charlies Angels, yadda yadda yadda.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Aug 9th, 2004 at 05:10 PM

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 05:05 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Funny....but someone is confusing Enter the Dragon with The Game of Death (in that film Bruce wore the Yellow suit). QT did it as a homeage to Bruce. Jet Li did the same in Meltdown, similar yellow suit. The fight between The Bride and the Crazy 88 did not come from Enter the Dragon. The fight was inspired by Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman (1989). IMDB is a great movie site, but is also known to make mistakes so I don't believe everything I read from there.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Aug 9th, 2004 at 05:30 PM

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 05:27 PM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
Funny....but someone is confusing Enter the Dragon with The Game of Death (in that film Bruce wore the Yellow suit). QT did it as a homeage to Bruce. Jet Li did the same in Meltdown, similar yellow suit. The fight between The Bride and the Crazy 88 did not come from Enter the Dragon. The fight was inspired by Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman (1989). IMDB is a great movie site, but is also known to make mistakes so I don't believe everything I read from there.

..which is why I referred to the yellow suit as an aside, citing only the fight scene as being derived from "Enter the Dragon". Sorry if I wasn't making myself clear, there.

As for the inspiration for the fight, I'm going on memory, albeit fuzzy. There's no true way of pinpointing any real origin for such a fight, I suppose. I've just begun my little foray into Martial Arts cinema, so excuse my being green.

(Hope you weren't implying that I am using IMDB for my basis?)

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 07:11 PM