KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Im new. Looking for a certain genre of movies.

Im new. Looking for a certain genre of movies.
Started by: cyb3rvampire

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cyb3rvampire

Im new. Looking for a certain genre of movies.

Hey guys. Im new to this whole "movie buff" thing. I enjoy watching movies, but recently it seems like there is so much shit out there, im 15 and i want to see some awesome independent/underground stuff. Im really open to any movies. The movies i like are usually pretty dark and gloomy, such as....Fight Club (great book too, and the author has many other great books) American History X, Natural Born Killers, Helter Skelter, and the FIRST matrix. I like a lot of Oliver stones stuff that i have seen, NBK, The doors, JFK.
I know theres a lot of good stuff out there, but i just dont know where to look. If anyone can recomend any movies that are simialr to these, please go ahead and tell me! or if you know of any movies you think i would like based on the movies i have enjoyed so far. Thank you! im open to anything, im willing to give anything a shot, even if its an independent film.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 05:33 AM
cyb3rvampire is currently offline Click here to Send cyb3rvampire a Private Message Find more posts by cyb3rvampire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Moved to Movie discussion...

anyway, some good dark films are....

Irreversible
I Stand Alone
Happiness
Donnie Darko
Kids
Man Bites Dog
Requiem for a Dream
Pi
Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer
Monster
28 Days Later
Taxi Driver
Last House on the Left

And all Stanley Kubrick films are a must. (Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, Dr Strangelove and Paths of Glory)

Last edited by BackFire on Jun 11th, 2004 at 06:00 AM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 05:58 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Ditto to Kubrick, especially Clockwork nothing more dark and gloomy than traveling with Alex and friends.

Also I would say Memento and Do The Right Thing which isn't really dark, but it is gloomy and tense.

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport.”

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 06:11 AM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Indie stuff and otherwise you may like:

May
Gummo
Bully
The Believer
12 Monkeys
Romper Stomper
City of God
Se7en
True Romance
Donnie Darko
Battle Royale
Wasabi

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 06:39 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Scarface and Boondock Saints (not really gloomy though). I really think Seven would be good for you which BF already mentioned.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 07:45 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Ah yeah, I forgot about Se7en.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 07:55 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Oh, gave credit to the wrong guy. Sorry CA.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 08:09 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ninjamaster

Re: Im new. Looking for a certain genre of movies.

quote:
Originally posted by cyb3rvampire
Hey guys. Im new to this whole "movie buff" thing. I enjoy watching movies, but recently it seems like there is so much shit out there, im 15 and i want to see some awesome independent/underground stuff. Im really open to any movies. The movies i like are usually pretty dark and gloomy, such as....Fight Club (great book too, and the author has many other great books) American History X, Natural Born Killers, Helter Skelter, and the FIRST matrix. I like a lot of Oliver stones stuff that i have seen, NBK, The doors, JFK.
I know theres a lot of good stuff out there, but i just dont know where to look. If anyone can recomend any movies that are simialr to these, please go ahead and tell me! or if you know of any movies you think i would like based on the movies i have enjoyed so far. Thank you! im open to anything, im willing to give anything a shot, even if its an independent film.

smokin' U're still young heh i can see that. well BIG BRO is watchin' u.
Basically movies and music is the story of you life,adventures,romance and outlooks on most aspects of it Philosophy,religion and so on.
We humans are in never-ending circle of life we are in MATRIX!
You've got to define your location within the Prismus Of DruHL your mindset ,dreams.losses ,defeats and so no.
Life is Hell,Storm Fury,Valley Of Despair,Conquest and Restoration.
If you want to analyse hell watch trilogies specifically Indiana Jones, Star Wars<the original>, Die Hard<SPLENDID!> and ROOTS!
Conquest see Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies.
Death and Romance read Shakespeare specially Titus Andronicus<ALL is WELL THAT ENDS WELL!>
Master Nature watch Species and Specie2.
To be a true warrior lead the Animal Kingdom so watch a lot of the National geographic channels programs.
Finally to be the ultimate killer,assassin,betrayer,lover, pssst CHAMPION you have to imagine urself in a trap of time where your most precious moments thoughts and instances<HEAVEN in short> can be contained purify it refine it define it and GIVE it to the world as the personification of wisdom and strength from personal experience<in short your PRIDE!> and BECOME a god to your SON!
U should BE on the right track NOW!
You're NOW a DOCTOR of INTRamural PHILOSOPHY!
See you when you're HERE HIGHER FINALLY!
MOVE

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 08:10 AM
Ninjamaster is currently offline Click here to Send Ninjamaster a Private Message Find more posts by Ninjamaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Re: Re: Im new. Looking for a certain genre of movies.

quote:
Originally posted by Ninjamaster
smokin' U're still young heh i can see that. well BIG BRO is watchin' u.
Basically movies and music is the story of you life,adventures,romance and outlooks on most aspects of it Philosophy,religion and so on.
We humans are in never-ending circle of life we are in MATRIX!
You've got to define your location within the Prismus Of DruHL your mindset ,dreams.losses ,defeats and so no.
Life is Hell,Storm Fury,Valley Of Despair,Conquest and Restoration.
If you want to analyse hell watch trilogies specifically Indiana Jones, Star Wars<the original>, Die Hard<SPLENDID!> and ROOTS!
Conquest see Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies.
Death and Romance read Shakespeare specially Titus Andronicus<ALL is WELL THAT ENDS WELL!>
Master Nature watch Species and Specie2.
To be a true warrior lead the Animal Kingdom so watch a lot of the National geographic channels programs.
Finally to be the ultimate killer,assassin,betrayer,lover, pssst CHAMPION you have to imagine urself in a trap of time where your most precious moments thoughts and instances<HEAVEN in short> can be contained purify it refine it define it and GIVE it to the world as the personification of wisdom and strength from personal experience<in short your PRIDE!> and BECOME a god to your SON!
U should BE on the right track NOW!
You're NOW a DOCTOR of INTRamural PHILOSOPHY!
See you when you're HERE HIGHER FINALLY!
MOVE

None of the movies you mentioned are really in the genre he was talking about.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 08:23 AM
Ninjamaster

Oh yeah Van Dammes the Quest and Replicator r kind of cool too.
Must see predator starring Schwarzenneggar<CLASSIC!>
Check out Golden Child starring Eddie Murphy and charles Dance.
Chuck Norris and Lou Gosset Jnr in FireWalker.
Richard gere in Officer and a Gentleman.
Define your lifestyle walk and talk wit' Travolta's classic Staying Alive and Saturday Night Fever<BEE GEES ROCK DUDE>!
Do not I repeat do not miss the Great Escape with Steve McQueen coz when it's time to GO i'm the KOOLER KING!
WELCOME TO THE CAUSE!
U're the effect i need to c a movie about this soon coz it must the story of republics and regencies and empires that divide and devour us !

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 08:30 AM
Ninjamaster is currently offline Click here to Send Ninjamaster a Private Message Find more posts by Ninjamaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ninjamaster

U got to c movies differently if u watch these specific ones u'll learn to understand that HELLFIRE and brimstone are killing movies everywhere.
I haven't seen a movie that made sense since Wim Wenders End Of Violence.
missing something here I'm a big man but movies are worse than when i wz younger. It's like watching video-games.
tell u what if Blade 3<bad vibes HERE> ever comes it's gonna be terrible coz i tell u what that guy HERO is gonna be wiped out for sure and I aint lyin!
Redefine your cousese and movie genre coz u'll be sucked int the MATRIX like everybody else.
DO not say you heard that from ME!
POWAH POWAH POWAH to the ppl INDEED!
Besides HE did SAY he was open TO anything!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 08:38 AM
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Still not seeing the connection of movies that you are recommending. That gimmick you have going is a little odd too btw.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 10:49 AM
Kes
Philie

BF and cinemaddiction pretty much said them all sad
I'll say:
Silence of the lambs
The bone collector (big Angelina Jolie speaking big grin)
Dark city
Equilibrium
Girl:Interrupted
Gia
These last 2 are more dramas.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 02:35 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cyb3rvampire

hey guys thanks a lot!! I was trying to think where i could get more info on those type of movies, since there not SUPER popular but i mean, there not liek underground flicks, and since it was my first post i didnt know what to except, i was afriad of everyone flaming me if people didnt like those movies, thank you so much guys. Ill definately give those a try, ive definately heard of se7en, scarface. And what about pulp fiction? it seems like a lot of you have those in your sigs, and what about this movie called "clock work orange'? ive heard its pretty damn good. and one last thought, to Cinemaddiction what are indie films? sorry for the n00bness.

THank you so much you guys! i wasnt expecting this great of a response. please, keep hte suggestions coming! im open to anything new or old, it doesnt matter!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 05:09 PM
cyb3rvampire is currently offline Click here to Send cyb3rvampire a Private Message Find more posts by cyb3rvampire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emancipator

All of the films mentioned are fantastic. BE SURE to check out equilibrium. I saw it after a recommendation from a member and it is a fantastic film!

http://www.moviesonline.ca

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 06:05 PM
Emancipator is currently offline Click here to Send Emancipator a Private Message Find more posts by Emancipator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
furryman
honky

indie is independent cool

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 06:29 PM
furryman is currently offline Click here to Send furryman a Private Message Find more posts by furryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

quote:
Originally posted by cyb3rvampire
hey guys thanks a lot!! I was trying to think where i could get more info on those type of movies, since there not SUPER popular but i mean, there not liek underground flicks, and since it was my first post i didnt know what to except, i was afriad of everyone flaming me if people didnt like those movies, thank you so much guys. Ill definately give those a try, ive definately heard of se7en, scarface. And what about pulp fiction? it seems like a lot of you have those in your sigs, and what about this movie called "clock work orange'? ive heard its pretty damn good. and one last thought, to Cinemaddiction what are indie films? sorry for the n00bness.

THank you so much you guys! i wasnt expecting this great of a response. please, keep hte suggestions coming! im open to anything new or old, it doesnt matter!

PULP FICTION IS GREAT! eek! Its more of a crime movie with hitmen and all that cool stuff rather than a dark/gloomy movie, but I HIGHLY recommend it. Its my favorite. big grin

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 08:57 PM
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

A recent dark one is 21 Grams which is a lot like Memento, but I thought Memento was better in my opinion, but it's still an excellent film.

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport.”

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 10:04 PM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
A recent dark one is 21 Grams which is a lot like Memento, but I thought Memento was better in my opinion, but it's still an excellent film.

I'll remember that.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 10:23 PM
big gay kirk

also try "Nikita..." and if you can get hold of a copy, a French movie called "The Last Battle..."

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 10:52 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote