KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The LEAST Talented Filmmaker of All Time?

The LEAST Talented Filmmaker of All Time?
Started by: Primitive Screwhead

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Primitive Screwhead
Bullsh*tt!

The LEAST Talented Filmmaker of All Time?

Well, there's been extensive discussion about the most talented filmmakers of all time... but after having watched Troy last night, I have to comment that Wolfgang Petersen is going in the wrong direction with his movies ever since he did the excellent Das Boot. I think that Troy is Petersen's worst work yet... Orlando Bloom was completely laughable with his portrayal of Paris (look beyond the pretty boy looks all you Bloomers... he was utterly mis-cast here), Brian Cox completely overracted, and way too many liberties were taken with the Trojan history. Even worse, I was completely devastated seeing Peter O'Toole's acting ability wasted in scenes with a Brad Pitt who didn't look like he had any desire to be on the set.

I'm not saying Petersen's at worst director level ever just yet (save that for Ed Wood), but if he keeps up at his current pace, he'll be working his way into that group very soon. Air Force One? The Perfect Storm? Outbreak? I would never have thought movies like these would have come from the same director as In The Line of Fire and Das Boot.

At any rate, I didn't want this to turn into a Troy review. I wanted to see if anyone was in agreement that Petersen needs a couple decent outputs to salvage his directorial reputation. He'll get his chance with Ender's Game in 2006... but I'm not holding my breath.

Artwork by Cinemaddiction!!!

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 08:06 PM
Primitive Screwhead is currently offline Click here to Send Primitive Screwhead a Private Message Find more posts by Primitive Screwhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Spike Lee. His movies are always the same propganda bullshit.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 08:07 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloomBabyGirl
Bond....James Bond

ya down with spike lee. i like all of wolgang petersons films

bitches bow down

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 08:47 PM
BloomBabyGirl is currently offline Click here to Send BloomBabyGirl a Private Message Find more posts by BloomBabyGirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Without a doubt is gotta be Danny Boyle! Only two of his films are very good. Transpotting and Shallow Grave. From there he has stunk like skunk! A life less ordinary, The Beach, 28 days later? Bah!

Another down the hill filmaker is John Woo (yeah I admit he is not the same) His best films are Hard Boiled, The Killer, Face off, but after that he made Mission Imposible 2, WindTalkers, Paycheck?....Yuck!

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 09:13 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Primitive Screwhead
Bullsh*tt!

quote:
Originally posted by BloomBabyGirl
ya down with spike lee. i like all of wolgang petersons films

Just out of curiosity, what did you like about Air Force One?

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 09:28 PM
Primitive Screwhead is currently offline Click here to Send Primitive Screwhead a Private Message Find more posts by Primitive Screwhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloomBabyGirl
Bond....James Bond

are u serious? i loved air force one. what didnt u like bout it? acting was pretty good and i like movies about how screwed americas presidents are and cmon its harrison ford

bitches bow down

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 10:52 PM
BloomBabyGirl is currently offline Click here to Send BloomBabyGirl a Private Message Find more posts by BloomBabyGirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloomBabyGirl
Bond....James Bond

ok i lied i dont like AAL of em. the never ending story was shit

bitches bow down

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 11:02 PM
Primitive Screwhead
Bullsh*tt!

quote:
Originally posted by BloomBabyGirl
are u serious? i loved air force one. what didnt u like bout it? acting was pretty good and i like movies about how screwed americas presidents are and cmon its harrison ford

I think the premise was a little far-fetched... and the escape pod bit just really set me over the edge in terms of realism. This was the starting point in Ford's career where he really seemed to be out of place in the roles he was taking (Random Hearts, Six Days Seven Nights and Sabrina are all movies during that time frame that were bad choices for him in my opinion).

Still, I don't fault him for taking the roles. I'm merely stating that Peterson's casting efforts and style certainly took a turn for the worse later on in his career.

Conversely, I actually thought Neverending Story wasn't too bad. Of course, we'll never really get to know now if Jonathan Brandis could ever make it as an adult actor. How unfortunate that he committed suicide.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 11:19 PM
BloomBabyGirl
Bond....James Bond

so sad. six days seven night was terrible...any way....of course air force 1 wasnt real but cmon,,...tell me u didnt like watching the president squirm

bitches bow down

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 11:28 PM
Mortanius
Just begin again

Kevin Smith.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 11:42 PM
Mortanius is currently offline Click here to Send Mortanius a Private Message Find more posts by Mortanius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roundisfunny

Michael Bay. I also agree about John Woo's American works.

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 11:47 PM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloomBabyGirl
Bond....James Bond

il iked paycheck if only it wasnt ****ed up by ben afflek

bitches bow down

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 12:07 AM
~JP~
yeah baby

Well here's my opinion, which is sure to get a rise out of the masses....I HATE Tarrentinos stuff. messed

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 02:31 AM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The True Fear
Restricted

Account Restricted

peter jackson sucks major whale ass

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 02:51 AM
The True Fear is currently offline Click here to Send The True Fear a Private Message Find more posts by The True Fear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mhuda

There are two least talented filmmakers of all time: W-A-C-H-O-W-S-K-I B-R-O-S.

Thanks to their stupid movie The Matrix Revolultions, they used to be cool directors, but now they're shadows of themselves. They proved that they had nothing to offer with their stupid Matrix sequels...okay, at least The Matrix Reloaded was tolerable, but The Matrix Revolutions made me angry. That movie should be trashed in a fire so nobody has to ever endure that horror show again.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 04:09 AM
mhuda is currently offline Click here to Send mhuda a Private Message Find more posts by mhuda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creechuur
Ish Disturber

Whoever made The Muskateer. That movie was so bad it made me mad to capitalize the name just now. American accents in a period movie set in France was one of the less annoying horrors. God, how I hate that guy, whatever his name is.

McG can suck it as well.

"Did Braveheart run away? Did Payback run away?"

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 04:36 AM
Creechuur is currently offline Click here to Send Creechuur a Private Message Find more posts by Creechuur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Primitive Screwhead
Bullsh*tt!

quote:
Originally posted by Creechuur
Whoever made The Muskateer.

That would be Peter Hyams. Good call on that one... let's see, he's also blessed us with the following garbage:

End of Days
Timecop
Sudden Death
Stay Tuned
The Relic (probably the best of this lot)

Hyams completely slipped my mind.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 01:53 PM
BloomBabyGirl
Bond....James Bond

o god. i thought i would neer have to hear bout time cop again no

bitches bow down

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 02:45 PM
Zerosparx

Stephen Sommers...I only know of 3 of his movies but they are all horrible. He also edits his films to have lower ratings to make more money off teenagers.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 07:15 PM
Zerosparx is currently offline Click here to Send Zerosparx a Private Message Find more posts by Zerosparx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Boy
Kevski

How can people mention Michael Bay, Stephen Sommers, John Woo blah.... cos at least these guys do something original- love it our hate it.

It's as simple as this....... PAUL W. ANDERSON

www.myspace.com/throughsolace
Through Solace- The Stand out in March 08 on Holdfast Records

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 09:07 PM
Bad Boy is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote