KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Review: Saw

Review: Saw
Started by: lil bitchiness

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lil bitchiness
-

Arrow Saw

I just came back from seeing this movie, and frankly, i liked it.

This a psychological thriler, in the style of 'Se7en' and the likes. The serial killer in this movie, does not actually physically kill anyone, but he makes his victims kill themsels, and in that respect I think it was rather good. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: The serial killer is wanting his victims to appreciate being alive basicaly, and gives them the chance to live, but in a very sinistar ways

The movie was rather clever, however, there were a few scenes that were rather unnecessary. What I liked about this movie was the fact that some bits in it seemed cheesy as hell at the time, however, as the movie progresses it appears to be way more complicated than it lead us to believe.

The way it was filmed was also not the typical psychological thriler type and there are no super cool detectives who will come in and save the day. The movie rather contrencates on the victems and the crimes rather than the aftermath, which was also another thing i loved about it.

Its very disturbing, and somewhat gory. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: especially the sawing of the foot bit

I would definitivly recomed it! Again, its not a horror slasher type movie, its a psychologial thriler, and i cant say it was scary, but it was rather disturbing. There were some odd uneccesary bits, but the movie wastes no time in the introductions and the likes, it basically starts as it starts if that makes sense.

thumb up see it.

Note
I didnt see this thread anywhere, and its kind of hard to search for it, seeing how it has only 3 characters, so if theres a thread already about this, post the link and I'll merge it.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Oct 10th, 2004 08:52 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

iv heard a alot about it and it looks like being the best horror/thriller movie in years

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Oct 10th, 2004 11:20 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Snipes
Number 1

i really wanna see this movie, im just hoping its not R18+ in Australia, if so ill have to wait till its on dvd.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 12:47 PM
Snipes is currently offline Click here to Send Snipes a Private Message Find more posts by Snipes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carnival_junkie
God

I cannot ****ing wait for this movie.
It's not out here yet...

I have no speech, no name. I live in the action of death, blood cry and the penetrating wound. I am destruction. Absolute and alone.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 09:09 PM
carnival_junkie is currently offline Click here to Send carnival_junkie a Private Message Find more posts by carnival_junkie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

Going To See It On Friday.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 09:20 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not one of the best horror movies in years, but it's definitely worth seeing, the ending is interesting.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 10:25 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by <<Solo>>
Going To See It On Friday.

Sneak preview? "The Grudge" is out this Friday, with "Saw" on the Friday before Halloween. I'm going to both. Hell, AND "Dawn of the Dead" (2004) DVD is out next Tuesday!

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 12:31 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Sneak preview? "The Grudge" is out this Friday, with "Saw" on the Friday before Halloween. I'm going to both. Hell, AND "Dawn of the Dead" (2004) DVD is out next Tuesday!

Oh man, that's right, I'll have to wait an extra week.But are you saying that there's a sneak preview this coming up Friday?

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 01:19 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Nah, I figured maybe you knew of one, and that's why you said you were seeing it this Friday instead.

Anywho, looks more promising than "The Grudge", IMO. Check out the website, too!

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 01:47 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

The UK gets a movie before the US?

Outrageous!

So how exactly does he [SPOILER - highlight to read]: make them appreciate life?

I'm not planning on seeing it, maybe renting it.
Telling me wont spoil anything.

Spill the beans...

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 04:43 AM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Nevermind...[SPOILER - highlight to read]: He is suffering from a terminal illness and thus hates people blessed with perfect health that are throwing their lives away and have them play his games to teach them the value of their own blessings.

Awh, that's so sweet!
Mother Teresa you b!tch, move over for Saw! love

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 04:48 AM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Exactly!

Have you seen it then, Tex? Or have you read that from a review?

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 03:35 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

It has been out for a week or so here in Britain.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 05:19 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fearnix
Piggy

I'm going to see it in 3 days big grin

Hey Pig Piggy Pig Pig Pig

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 05:48 PM
Fearnix is currently offline Click here to Send Fearnix a Private Message Find more posts by Fearnix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

I saw this movie last weekend(sneak preview) and besides the revelation as to where the killer was hiding which i thought was clever the movie didnt do too much for me, i wouldve liked if they had gone a bit deeper into the killers mind, his motivations, how he picked the victims and i also found the guys were pretty stupid not to be able to find a way to cut through the chains plus the killer himself wasnt to healthy to be able to pull elavorate puzzles and ways to kill like he did, it was an "ok" movie, not plannin gon seeing it anytime soon again

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2004 02:25 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

Just came out here tonight, my friends are going to see it. I might see it tomorrow, I hope stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 30th, 2004 12:40 AM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Sorry everyone, but bluntly, this movie was bad. It was sloppy, generic, predictable, and obviously amatuerish. It's no surprise that this film was the first from James Wan, it shows.

I'll go ahead and just skip the plot, simply read C-Dics summary of it if you don't already the plot. But I will say this, the story is not unlike the plot in Phone Booth. A bitter crazy guy wants his victims to apreciate life and blah blah blah. So, using very questionable logic, he tortures these people usually to death in order to get them to apreciate life.

The biggest problem of this film was the simple stupidity of pretty much all of the characters. They were all stupid to the point of being mentally handicaped. Danny Glover and his partner are a perfect example of this. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: In the middle of the film when they had the chance to capture the guy immediately after seeing him walk into the room which they had snuck into after figuring out where he was hiding. Instead, they sat and watched him for about 10 seconds, letting him get situated and get near the man he had captured. Then when the guy turned on his drill of death, they ****ed around with him, asking him to turn it off, rather then just immediately shooting the machine to shut it down. It took these cops about 30 seconds to figure out that they should shoot the machine. By then it was too late and Danny Glover got his neck sliced by some hidden knife the bad guy had concealed that sprang out of teh arm of his jacket, not unlike the gun from Taxi Driver.

Something else really dumb is that the bad guy (who is a god damn dying old man who in the end could barely walk) becomes superman when he attacks someone, moving faster and seemingly with more force then anyone else on the earth can contend with. He even managed to ambush Adam, when Adam knew where he was. Another example of using stupid character as an excuse for the success of the villian, something a lot of bad and sloppy movies do.

Another typical amatuerish move was to have the bad guy win at the end. I'm so sick of movies taking the easy way of leaving the audience in a sense of unsatisfaction and frusturation by simply having the bad guy win. A good movie will find a way to have the story feel unfair while still beign satisfying (for a good example of this, watch Se7en. The bad guy dies AND the movie still leaves us frusturated, but not cheated, as this movie does.

One last gripe, the "twist" at the end was really dumb. "oooooh, the dead body in the middle of the room is actually the killer." yeah, way to pull a cheasy gimmick twist out of your ass.

Okay, now to the positives. The movie had a good, grainy and dark feeling to it. Very atmospheric. Some good sets and props. Nifty, little wierd torture devices. That's about all of the positives.

Over all, this movie was very poor, and used the easiest device of leaving the audience frustruated, and unsatisfied, and ultimately, cheated. If you want a good psychological movie, watch Se7en, or Audition. Don't bother with this generic and pretentious movie.

I'll give it 4 our of 10.

Last edited by BackFire on Oct 30th, 2004 at 12:57 AM

Old Post Oct 30th, 2004 12:54 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
Sorry everyone, but bluntly, this movie was bad. It was sloppy, generic, predictable, and obviously amatuerish. It's no surprise that this film was the first from James Wan, it shows.

I'll go ahead and just skip the plot, simply read C-Dics summary of it if you don't already the plot. But I will say this, the story is not unlike the plot in Phone Booth. A bitter crazy guy wants his victims to apreciate life and blah blah blah. So, using very questionable logic, he tortures these people usually to death in order to get them to apreciate life.

The biggest problem of this film was the simple stupidity of pretty much all of the characters. They were all stupid to the point of being mentally handicaped. Danny Glover and his partner are a perfect example of this. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: In the middle of the film when they had the chance to capture the guy immediately after seeing him walk into the room which they had snuck into after figuring out where he was hiding. Instead, they sat and watched him for about 10 seconds, letting him get situated and get near the man he had captured. Then when the guy turned on his drill of death, they ****ed around with him, asking him to turn it off, rather then just immediately shooting the machine to shut it down. It took these cops about 30 seconds to figure out that they should shoot the machine. By then it was too late and Danny Glover got his neck sliced by some hidden knife the bad guy had concealed that sprang out of teh arm of his jacket, not unlike the gun from Taxi Driver.

Something else really dumb is that the bad guy (who is a god damn dying old man who in the end could barely walk) becomes superman when he attacks someone, moving faster and seemingly with more force then anyone else on the earth can contend with. He even managed to ambush Adam, when Adam knew where he was. Another example of using stupid character as an excuse for the success of the villian, something a lot of bad and sloppy movies do.

Another typical amatuerish move was to have the bad guy win at the end. I'm so sick of movies taking the easy way of leaving the audience in a sense of unsatisfaction and frusturation by simply having the bad guy win. A good movie will find a way to have the story feel unfair while still beign satisfying (for a good example of this, watch Se7en. The bad guy dies AND the movie still leaves us frusturated, but not cheated, as this movie does.

One last gripe, the "twist" at the end was really dumb. "oooooh, the dead body in the middle of the room is actually the killer." yeah, way to pull a cheasy gimmick twist out of your ass.

Okay, now to the positives. The movie had a good, grainy and dark feeling to it. Very atmospheric. Some good sets and props. Nifty, little wierd torture devices. That's about all of the positives.

Over all, this movie was very poor, and used the easiest device of leaving the audience frustruated, and unsatisfied, and ultimately, cheated. If you want a good psychological movie, watch Se7en, or Audition. Don't bother with this generic and pretentious movie.

I'll give it 4 our of 10.

sooo true

i was expecting too much from this movie. ill be more generous

6/10

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2004 01:11 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I wasn't expecting much, and it still disapointed.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2004 01:15 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

it was a low budget movie right?

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2004 01:21 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote