KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Miffed Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

I saw "Ghost Dog" last night for the first time, and I have to say that it didn't live up to the hype.

Forest Whitaker's a good actor, and the plot was very unique, but the execution stunk, like all the motivation was spent on the outline and not the actual MAKING of the film. It was clumsy at times, the characters were incredibly shallow and vanilla, there was a lot of out of place humor that really killed whatever dramatic angle they were shooting for, and it was a very basic, straight forward movie with no real feeling, IMO.

"Ghost Dog" the character was an interesting take, but he didn't even have a story, really. No background, other than being someones "retainer", which pretty much spells the ending out for you, thus making the proceedings obsolete, null, and void. Just filler.

Poor flick, if you ask me. What's the appeal?

Old Post May 1st, 2005 08:35 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moviejunkie23

i saw that movie when i lived in a bad area of phoenix, and there was a shoot out outside while me and some friends watched. It completley freaked us out. Now i can't help but associate that movie with that

Old Post May 1st, 2005 08:45 PM
moviejunkie23 is currently offline Click here to Send moviejunkie23 a Private Message Find more posts by moviejunkie23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morpheus
The Gospel R3L0AD3D

raver I dont know, I sitll want 2c this film. anything with the word
SAMURAI in it i want 2c it.

(I've become very big on samurai. im thanking
become one.)

She doesn't quite chop your head off. She makes a Pez dispenser out of you.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 01:39 AM
Morpheus is currently offline Click here to Send Morpheus a Private Message Find more posts by Morpheus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

I love Ghost Dog! The music is the bomb, the performances are funny and it's very strange = CINEMATIC EXCELLENCE. It's also a pretty old movie...

Ou, Ou, Ou is all you Need...

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 05:50 AM
Ou Be Low hoo is currently offline Click here to Send Ou Be Low hoo a Private Message Find more posts by Ou Be Low hoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

i thought this film seemed a bit hollow and the casting was uninspired...not as good as it was supposed to be

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 11:20 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Haven't seen this movie in quite a while. From what I remenber the film has some dark comedy and a mix of drama with a gangster background. I have to see it again.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 04:21 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I just watched 'Ghost Dog: Way Of The Samurai' again the other day; I still love it. It's so strange and original, the characters are perfect. I love the friendship between Ghost Dog and the French-speaking ice cream seller. It's a great movie.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2006 01:20 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Watch the original that Ghost Dog was influenced by, Le Samourai(1967), fabulous. I thought Ghost Dog was wonderful also.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2006 06:42 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
edwinian
Heavy Metal

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ou Be Low hoo
I love Ghost Dog! The music is the bomb, the performances are funny and it's very strange = CINEMATIC EXCELLENCE. It's also a pretty old movie...

the music is actually done by the RZA (who does most of the beats for Wu-Tang Clan and also did the music for the Kill Bill series).

i own the vinyl LP to this soundtrack and it's just amazing.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2006 05:14 PM
edwinian is currently offline Click here to Send edwinian a Private Message Find more posts by edwinian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

I liked it, style over substance, but it is very funny in places, the stupid gangsters in particular and the rapping and soundtrack by RZA are inspired.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 11:19 AM
papabeard is currently offline Click here to Send papabeard a Private Message Find more posts by papabeard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote