KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Battle of directors+ Lucas, Speldberg

Battle of directors+ Lucas, Speldberg
Started by: Lee-San28

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lee-San28
Im A Bloddy Rock God!

Question Battle of directors+ Lucas, Speldberg

in your opinyon who do you think is better, and who do you like better and why?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 04:29 PM
Lee-San28 is currently offline Click here to Send Lee-San28 a Private Message Find more posts by Lee-San28 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Spielberg, by default. As a director, he's directly influenced countless other filmmakers. Lucas has two movies in "THX-1138" and "Star Wars". Honestly, that's it. The most popular of the franchise, "Empire Strikes Back", was directed by Irvin Kerschner.

Steven, the list is endless.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 07:21 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

I thought American Graffiti was really good too... But other than those (Graffiti, THX and A New Hope) I don't think there's anything else that displays much directing talent on Lucas's part. Spielberg, on the other hand, has made a huge number of good films, some great ones, and a few excellent.

To be honest, I think all the fame and fortune went to Lucas's head. As is evidenced by what became of the Star Wars franchise. He turned it into a blockbuster, when it started as a creative, inspired, innovative and artistic independent film.

As a technological visionary: Lucas. As a director: Spielberg.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 08:50 PM
DeVi| D0do is currently offline Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

how do you spell spielberg so wrong in the subject line..

but yea lucas hasnt done a large body of great works, so its not that close of a contest.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 08:57 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Both Went to the University of So Cal, and I really love both director's workings. But even more so, when they work together. Like say, the 'Indiana Jones' Trilogy (soon to be 4). And also, Star wars: episode III, Those were the best action scenes in the trilogy (thanks to Lucas and 'berg).

But If I have to compare the two, Spielberg has more great movies behind his belt. But Like said before, Lucas has the bigger franchise.

Lucas: THX, ROTJ, and A new Hope.

Spielberg: Jaws, SPR, Minority Report, The color Purple, Empire of the Sun, Schindler's list, ET, Jurassic Park, CE3K, Hook, The Terminal, and Catch me if you can.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 09:29 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I like Lucas' earlier work, as for overall director, Spielberg for me out of the two. But neither of the two are favourite directors for me.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 10:22 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

For me Lucas is nothing but a two hit wonder as a director. Star Wars and American Graffiti that's about it...now, as a marketing person Lucas is pure gold!

Last edited by Dusty on Feb 24th, 2006 at 11:35 PM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 10:40 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Ash231
Harbinger of Dur

Spielberg of course, Lucas is simply can't direct anything, the romance is terribly done in SW and the same goes for the wooden dialouge aswell.

Sig by Inhuman

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 10:46 PM
Bad Ash231 is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Ash231 a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Ash231 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarkWizard

Lucas: THX, ROTJ, and A new Hope.

Spielberg: Jaws, SPR, Minority Report, The color Purple, Empire of the Sun, Schindler's list, ET, Jurassic Park, CE3K, Hook, The Terminal, and Catch me if you can.

Lucas didn't direct "Return of the Jedi", it was Rich Marquand, and you mention "Hook" of all movies, and forget "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"?

For shame. no

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 02:28 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Lucas didn't direct "Return of the Jedi", it was Rich Marquand,

Thanks for the heads up, I was not aware of that. smile

quote:

and you mention "Hook" of all movies, and forget "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"?

Originally posted by DarkWizard

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 02:37 AM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

I think Lucas was more involved in Jedi than just producing and writing the story. You can tell by the whole feel of the film... its much more similar to the prequels than either of the other classic films.

And in my opinion, Hook was one of Spielberg's duds...

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 02:45 AM
DeVi| D0do is currently offline Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

Most definitely Spielberg. Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, and Munich were three of the most intense movies I have ever seen. He's also consistently made great films for over 25 years.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 03:52 AM
Rapscallion is currently offline Click here to Send Rapscallion a Private Message Find more posts by Rapscallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Originally posted by Rapscallion
Most definitely Spielberg. Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, and Munich were three of the most intense movies I have ever seen. He's also consistently made great films for over 25 years.

With a few speed bumps.

(WOTW) messed

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 04:05 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Ah. "CE3K" is a bizarre abbreviation, as if it were "Close Encounters 3000".

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 05:28 AM
Kram3r

Spielberg easily takes the cake. He's easily one of the most recognisable and influential filmmakers of today. There's no surprise that with Spielberg's talent he's able to please the audience and create films with artistic integrity. There is a lot of people who will sacrifice that to make a popular movie.

Last edited by Kram3r on Feb 25th, 2006 at 05:48 AM

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 05:46 AM
Kram3r is currently offline Click here to Send Kram3r a Private Message Find more posts by Kram3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Ah. "CE3K" is a bizarre abbreviation, as if it were "Close Encounters 3000".

haha. yeah. I remember reading that abbreviation in a magazine once.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 04:30 PM
Impediment
Endless

Spielberg, by far. Jurassic Park, Lost World, Close Encounters, The Color Purple, The Terminal, Jaws, The Indiana Jones trilogy, and Schindler's List are examples why. Lucas, while I still have respect for his imagination, creativity, and his skills as a director, his recent works that are the horrible episodes I, II, and III are proof enough that Spielberg still has the upper hand.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 05:47 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Spielberg by a billion. Though both are overrated.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 09:29 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

Originally posted by MildPossession
I like Lucas' earlier work, as for overall director, Spielberg for me out of the two. But neither of the two are favourite directors for me.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 10:13 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Obi Mynobi
Restricted

Account Restricted

lucas is lightyears better then spielberg. any idiot can tell between qualitie and quantitie. Lucas movies are always best.

join the darkside or else!

Old Post Feb 26th, 2006 03:53 AM
Obi Mynobi is currently offline Click here to Send Obi Mynobi a Private Message Find more posts by Obi Mynobi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote