KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » M Night Shyamalan's "Avatar: The Last Airbender"

M Night Shyamalan's "Avatar: The Last Airbender"
Started by: Silverstein

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

M Night Shyamalan's "Avatar: The Last Airbender"

M. Night's Avatar?
Toon adaptation playing name game with Cameron flick.

January 9, 2007 - M. Night Shyamalan is making Avatar, but don't confuse this project with James Cameron's forthcoming feature. This Avatar is a live-action version of the animated children's series Avatar: The Last Airbender which airs on Nickelodeon.

Shyamalan, according to Variety, has signed a three-picture deal with Paramount's MTV Films and Nick Movies to bring the show to the big screen. The Sixth Sense filmmaker will reportedly write, direct and produce what the studio hopes will become a franchise.

So, how can there be two movies coming out with the same title? That's just it... there can't. Paramount claims that it has registered the name of their project with the MPAA, and that they confirmed their deal with M. Night just hours before the 20th Century Fox announcement that they'd given the green light to Cameron's project.

A representative from 20th Century Fox, however, pointedly told the trade, "We own the movie title Avatar. There won't be another film called Avatar coming from anyplace." Sounds like a title war is brewing.

Avatar: The Last Airbender follows the adventures of the successor to a long line of Avatars who must put aside his irresponsible ways and stop the Fire Nation from enslaving the Water, Earth and Air nations.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/753/753858p1.html

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 01:48 AM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

Great way to follow up "Lady in the Water", M. Night!

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 02:08 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

Hmm...I've seen that show before simply because my little sis watches it. It seems really....ghey. I'm looking forward to see what Shyamalan does with it.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 02:40 AM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I haven't even seen Lady in the Water, but I loved The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Is Lady in the Water worth seeing, or is it as poo-poo as it seems?

This 'Airbender' sounds...childish. Yeah, and 'ghey'. Whatever that means...

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 03:01 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

I kind of like that show....M Night's just going to ruin it sad

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 03:04 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I haven't even seen Lady in the Water, but I loved The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Is Lady in the Water worth seeing, or is it as poo-poo as it seems?

This 'Airbender' sounds...childish. Yeah, and 'ghey'. Whatever that means...

its worth a rent i guess, or a borrow from a friend. i liked the atmosphere of Lady in the Water: i didn't like the cast at all, in my opinion, shyamalan's weakest movie, maybe on par w/ The Village. He gave himself too big of a role in the film... sad

i guess airbender may sound corny, but i actually like the show stick out tongue it looks cool to me, and i liked shyamalan's sixth sense, unbreakable and signs. the cool thing about M. Night is his plot twists...some of em...

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 03:12 AM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

If it's on par with The Village then it must be a giant pile of festering shit.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 05:13 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

holy crap i hated the village. why didn't they just ****ing have modern medicine in the village? it's not like any of their kids would have been like "shit no, medical advances such as these weren't made until the twentieth century! this whole village is a sham!"

signs was okay, bordering on bad. unbreakable might have been my favorite; i enjoy the sixth sense less everytime i watch it.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 09:52 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Originally posted by Solo
Great way to follow up "Lady in the Water", M. Night!
laughing laughing

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 11:15 AM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Originally posted by manorastroman
holy crap i hated the village. why didn't they just ****ing have modern medicine in the village? it's not like any of their kids would have been like "shit no, medical advances such as these weren't made until the twentieth century! this whole village is a sham!"

Wurd like a mutha-futha, b*tch.

"Oh, but it's all about post-9/11 America..."

"Shut the f*ck-up, you retard!"

"Mmmm-mmhh..."

Originally posted by manorastroman
signs was okay, bordering on bad. unbreakable might have been my favorite; i enjoy the sixth sense less everytime i watch it.

Signs was okay until they showed the stupid rubber dildo aliens.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 02:48 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Well, let's see...

Sixth sense had a good ending and a cool twist. No contest.

Unbreakable was a good film but a predictable ending. Comic book fans like I did appreciated but didn't actually praise the film.

Signs was pretty stupid but entertaining film. Yeah, okay, make sense of this....Aliens from other worlds invade earth and their only weakness is water...yet despite this set back the super intelligent beings decide to invade a planet full of water. Genius writing right there M. Night (sarcasm if you don't notice)

The Village tells the story of a peace loving hippie University professor who decides to create his own Utopia. Just to get away from our tragic and violent world. However, reality comes back and bite him on the ass when an actual crime happens. Illustrating that no matter where you run off to....that evil human nature that have haunts us since early civilization will always be present. Hahaha! Great writing M. Night you hit it out of the ballpark.

Haven't bother with Lady in the water yet. Might check it out sometime.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Jan 10th, 2007 at 09:14 PM

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 09:08 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

Haven't bother with Lady in the water yet. Might check it out sometime.

Not worth checking out. IMO.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 09:51 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ax3l
Dream Finder

Super super waste of talent.

One little spark...

Old Post Jan 11th, 2007 12:42 AM
Ax3l is currently offline Click here to Send Ax3l a Private Message Find more posts by Ax3l Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Alright, as far as I see it, some of you guys are being a little harsh.

I mean, The Village wasn't really that bad of a movie. And you might think I'm stupid for thinking that, but hear me out. I didn't like the movie after I first saw it either. Why? Because I expected something totally different, as did so many other people. I expected there to be monsters and so forth, but what I got was totally different. After a while, I gave the movie a second shot, and I actually liked it a lot better. The plot twist was exactly what it was supposed to be: unexpected.

Lady in the Water was so-so, IMO.

And this movie seems like it will be rubbish. I've seen the cartoon and I may be biased against anime, but I think it's shit. No man could make a good movie out of a horrible anime show.

I don't know why he's wasting his talent and potential on a project such as this.

Poor M. Night...

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jan 11th, 2007 12:55 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx

The Village for me, i was expecting a scary horror flick and that hecklers went around town disguised as the fairytale monsters, and then the twist was that in the end, the monsters that appeared at one point in the film were actually real.

Because usually M Night's movies end with the like ghosts are real, superheroes are real, aliens are real, but this time...monster's aren't real. and lady in the water had no twist...and avatar wont either atleast i dont think

although m night has lost his magic in his last two...or three films, i dont think the avatar will be that bad...

Old Post Jan 11th, 2007 01:51 AM
thedrownedgod

it sucks to make your best work first then your always living up to it

if you can look paste the fact that the earths atmoshphere is basically water (ever heard of humidity) then signs wasnt bad

the village sucked

i liked lady in the water dont watch it expecting a sixth sense type movie and its cool I really like what he did to the critic in this movie

Old Post Jan 11th, 2007 02:24 AM
thedrownedgod is currently offline Click here to Send thedrownedgod a Private Message Find more posts by thedrownedgod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

the water thing wasn't the only stupid part in signs. the whole "swing away" thing was fully, completely, inexcusably heavy handed and idiotic.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2007 06:45 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I enjoyed all of M. Night's movies, except for "Lady" which I could only tolerate 25 minutes of.

As usual, people are being overly critical of Science Fiction movies. "Signs" and the great water debate? Anyone ever stop to consider that they chose a remote farm town, devoid of water masses, to invade? The "swing away" quip was for dramatic effect, suggesting that someone with dreams of making it big, having their career cut short, can make a difference with a little unintentional comic relief that just so happens to save the day. "The Village" I thought was a stroke of genius. Nobody saw the end coming, and if you did then either A) you're a lying bastard or B) you wrote the script. Great social commentary to boot. Keep in mind, utopian societies exist and thrive without fear.

That said, this whole "Avatar" is going to be Shymalan's "Marnie" or "Topaz". Just totally out of his element.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2007 07:36 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

M. Night Shyamalan aside, b/c I could care less about him, I'm looking forward to this movie.

I'm a fan of the show and was ecstatic when I found out this movie was being made. Especially since I've been imagining a Live Action Movie to this show for a long time now, thinking that it would never happen and here it is.

Now on to M. Night Shyamalan. I don't trust him to make this movie. He's so far out there, why was he chosen?

I'm not saying the movie is doomed. I'm just saying I wouldn't have thought him to be the one to be put at the helm of this movie.

So I'm slightly nervous about the whole thing.

He better not try and put his own little spin on it too and I don't want to see no d@mn TWISTS!!!!!

I better not even notice M. Night himself as a character in this movie. If I do so help me God.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Jan 11th, 2007 07:40 AM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Originally posted by Silverstein
The Village for me, i was expecting a scary horror flick

So were the 10-year old kids behind us in the theater who offered their masterful review as the credits started rolling:

"That sucked!"

Last edited by botankus on Jan 11th, 2007 at 05:56 PM

Old Post Jan 11th, 2007 05:53 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote