KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » What is your favorite underrated movie...

What is your favorite underrated movie...
Started by: LindbergMTL

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LindbergMTL

What is your favorite underrated movie...

Yeah, what is your favorite movie that you think is the most underrated, ignored, underestimated masterpiece?

For me, it's Woody Allen's SLEEPER.

what a masterpiece. I saw that movie when I was 12 and it made me want to make movies.

A clarinet player who also runs a health food store is frozen and brought back in the future by anti-government radicals in order to assist them in their attempts to overthrow an oppressive government. When he goes off on his own, he begins to explore this brave new world that has Orgasmatron booths to replace sex and confessional robots.

Watch the movie and see how incredibly prophetic it was. In the movie, everybody is happy (as on prozac?) , the president is nothing but a cloned nose and a carefully controlled image (sounds familiar?) , and everybody is filed, except for Miles Monroe (Woody), and I could go on...

So funny, so brilliant... This film should be studied in film schools !

Luna Schlosser: Oh, I see. You don't believe in science, and you also don't believe that political systems work, and you don't believe in God, huh?
Miles Monroe: Right.
Luna Schlosser: So then, what do you believe in?
Miles Monroe: Sex and death - two things that come once in a lifetime... but at least after death, you're not nauseous.

What 's your underrated movie of all time ?

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 02:39 AM
LindbergMTL is currently offline Click here to Send LindbergMTL a Private Message Find more posts by LindbergMTL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

"Ginger Snaps", probably.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 05:06 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starwing

Andrew Niccol's 2005 movie titled The Lord of War, staring Nicolas Cage.

Quote from IMDb: An arms dealer (Cage) confronts the morality of his work as he is being chased by an Interpol agent (Hawke)

I enjoyed that movie a whole lot more than how I may have originally thought I would.

I also thought Ridley Scott's film Kingdom of Heaven was brilliant. However, it didn't do any business at all in the U.S. It did tremendous business overseas. I greatly love the film.

Last edited by starwing on Mar 3rd, 2007 at 07:54 AM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 07:44 AM
starwing is currently offline Click here to Send starwing a Private Message Find more posts by starwing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
speiderman

cypher.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 12:28 PM
speiderman is currently offline Click here to Send speiderman a Private Message Find more posts by speiderman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

TMNT

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 02:55 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I don't think "Lord of War" was underrated. "TMNT", the live action, is a fun movie, and well liked. Not exactly "ratable", though.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 02:57 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starwing

I disagree: ask how many people have seen the Lord of War. The movie didn't make any money and disappeared from the movie house (and from our radar) very quickly. I say that makes it underrated. smile

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 03:38 PM
starwing is currently offline Click here to Send starwing a Private Message Find more posts by starwing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Core
I don't think "Lord of War" was underrated. "TMNT", the live action, is a fun movie, and well liked. Not exactly "ratable", though.

It deserves a lot more than it gets. Critics thrash the hell out of this movie. The IMDB rating is in the dumps, and it's frowned upon by Rotten Tomato critics.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 04:28 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidey-dude
Restricted

Account Restricted

badder santa

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 08:56 PM
spidey-dude is currently offline Click here to Send spidey-dude a Private Message Find more posts by spidey-dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Mine would be Shoot To Kill with Tom Beringer and Kirstey alley

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 09:05 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

The Boys Next Door with Charlie Sheen. Very Underrated and violent film from the 80's.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 09:17 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Originally posted by starwing
I disagree: ask how many people have seen the Lord of War. The movie didn't make any money and disappeared from the movie house (and from our radar) very quickly. I say that makes it underrated. smile

Eh. 30,000 people on IMDB.com have rated it, it grossed 50% over its budget, and stayed in theatres for a month and a half. It did well. I didn't particularly like it because it was too long, and didn't really "excite" me, as Nic Cage was miscast.

Originally posted by Dusty
It deserves a lot more than it gets. Critics thrash the hell out of this movie. The IMDB rating is in the dumps, and it's frowned upon by Rotten Tomato critics.

I know it's opinion and all, but this isn't really a movie critics can be "critical" of. It's dated, silly, and fun. The acting was over the top, it was guys in foam turtle suits, and really bad choreography. It's a movie lovers movie. I love it, the critics and whoever else can trash it all they want. I saw it in the theatres when it was released and like it to this day. Underappreciated, maybe, Underrated, no way.

They bash "UHF" too, but it's a work of parodical genius.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 09:40 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

May

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 09:47 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

Originally posted by starwing
Andrew Niccol's 1997 movie titled Gattaca, staring Ethan Hawke.

Yeah, I agree.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 10:06 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starwing

Originally posted by The Core
Eh. 30,000 people on IMDB.com have rated it, it grossed 50% over its budget, and stayed in theatres for a month and a half. It did well. I didn't particularly like it because it was too long, and didn't really "excite" me, as Nic Cage was miscast.

Box Office Total: $24,033,036 [Gee, that's a lot of money.] wink
Box Office Opening: $9,390,144
No. of Weeks in Top 10: 2
Highest Ranking: 3
Rotten Tomatoes critics approval 61%

Your opinion is that you didn't like it, some critics opinions are that they didn't like it, and the film didn't make much money at the box office. However, I enjoyed the film A LOT, and so I say it's underrated. That's the whole point of the subject of this thread.

Last edited by starwing on Mar 4th, 2007 at 12:04 AM

Old Post Mar 4th, 2007 12:00 AM
manorastroman

gattaca's a good choice, and so's may. well...i don't know if may is underrated so much as underwatched.

payback (mel gibson) is a really solid movie...

Old Post Mar 4th, 2007 12:08 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DanZeke25
You can't beat me.

Four Brothers

Old Post Mar 4th, 2007 12:52 AM
DanZeke25 is currently offline Click here to Send DanZeke25 a Private Message Find more posts by DanZeke25 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Röland
Masked Vigilante

Carlito's Way

Rorschach's Journal: October 12th, 1985. Tonight, a comedian died in New York.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2007 01:33 AM
Röland is currently offline Click here to Send Röland a Private Message Find more posts by Röland Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
doan_m

Equilibrium: Despite all the silly twirling.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2007 02:47 AM
doan_m is currently offline Click here to Send doan_m a Private Message Find more posts by doan_m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

A little foreign flick called "Suite 16"

Old Post Mar 4th, 2007 04:03 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote