KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Why is LOTR popular amongst ALL nerds?

Why is LOTR popular amongst ALL nerds?
Started by: Dogbert

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NinthCorona

Question Why is LOTR popular amongst ALL nerds?

I am not a huge fan of the LOTR, matter of fact, i dun even really like it that much. n i'm not sayin it is for geeks, but it is PAINFULLY obvious in my school that the kids that play chess and have big backpacks are HUGE fans of the movie. ALL of them like it. there is a club for it i think. y do all the nerds like the movie?

P.S. i am NOT calling n e of u nerds

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 05:48 AM
NinthCorona is currently offline Click here to Send NinthCorona a Private Message Find more posts by NinthCorona Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aurora
Princess

They have taste!!!!

I am amazed at the kinds of friends I have made by the movies and the books. I have met ppl who I would have never have spoken to in school, not being conceided or anything, I just didn't think I had anything in common with them. These are the same ppl who have taught me so much, made me laugh, and thourohly entertained me.

I am a LOTR Geek! And proud of it! If there was a convention tomarrow near me I would gladdly go and do our secret hand shake! U know the one, don't ya. Okay maybe I am a little lost. This is the Star Trek web site isn't it?

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 06:19 AM
Aurora is currently offline Click here to Send Aurora a Private Message Find more posts by Aurora Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Member.

LOTR trilogy is something that comes once in a lifetime. Strangers become friends waiting out in the cold for 24 hrs. Many LOTR may be really smart people with no sense of fashion, but many aren't.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 07:47 AM
Member. is currently offline Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

I love chess and lotr's but Ive never been called a nerd before...thanks happy

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 07:51 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ilvorlandobloom

not ALL nerds like it.... the other day at school i was tryin to convince a nerd that LotR rocks, but i guess hes more into harry potter...

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 08:25 AM
ilvorlandobloom is currently offline Click here to Send ilvorlandobloom a Private Message Find more posts by ilvorlandobloom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

1.Because we need to express ourselves and discover our identities by comparing ourselves to fictional characters. We don't like to do so through real life people cuz real life changes real people all the time.

Fictional characters stay the same forever and we discover ourselves and our meaning in life through these characters. The characters in LOTR are very deep and complex characters whose inner qualities are expressed, and affected in the book constantly and we put ourselves in there positions and think "What would we do?"

2.Because in today's society standards, serious literature is considered a geek thing. The "not geeks" think they are too cool to learn anything through books (shows how much they know) and compare and model their lives through pop culture icons who are also imperfect humans who can be influenced to do stupid things.

Fictional characters are more prefered by us geeks because you feel as if you actually know them because you actually get to know them through the character's thoughts, actions, and emotions.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 08:25 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ilvorlandobloom

and i am glad to say i am not a nerd

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 08:26 AM
ilvorlandobloom is currently offline Click here to Send ilvorlandobloom a Private Message Find more posts by ilvorlandobloom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

To the geek question: Well, the word geek is so subjective. We are all geeks about something. Clothes, books, movies, super hero's, comics, shopping, sports, etc. Every single person on Earth has their moment of geekdom.

Bringing it back to LOTR...yes, I think most geeks like it. But all different kinds of geeks. Some geeks like it because they are intrigued by the magic (the "Magic the Gathering" geek). Some geeks watch it, intrigued by the fighting (yer "Matrix" geek). Some watch it, intrigued by the costumes and sets (good old fashioned "Movie Geeks"!). And some, like myself, like it for the excellent way it illustrates the perserverance of men under the most difficult of circumstances (the "History Geek").

So yes, LOTR is popular among geeks, but then I suppose most things have a rather large "geek" following...seeing as how all of us in our own special way are gigantic geeks.

So being a geek should sound insulting for others but for me, I am more than happy to admit that I am an LOTR geek and I don't care. It makes me more proud of myself. smile

Last edited by shadowy_blue on Dec 24th, 2003 at 08:33 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 08:28 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

By the way, I just used the term "geek" because I think it's more appropriate in relation to LOTR fandom than the term "nerd". They're like the same but there are still some differences. smile

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 08:30 AM
ilvorlandobloom

i am a LotR geek, i even took a lotr test and that was what it said cuz i got every single question right! but i will never say that im a nerd. a geek, but not a nerd.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 08:40 AM
Gotwa
Ring Master

I think if you have.. 'i love orlando bloom' as the basis for your name you're a nerd.. x.x.. but.. not all nerds like LotR, sorry.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 08:41 AM
Gotwa is currently offline Click here to Send Gotwa a Private Message Find more posts by Gotwa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

Yeah, I think the topic title went too far as to say that ALL nerds like it. I don't think so. Just most of them perhaps. smile

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 08:44 AM
Leon s.kenedy
Warrior

LOTR is best film in the world... presious... evil face

Last edited by Leon s.kenedy on Dec 24th, 2003 at 08:49 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 08:46 AM
Leon s.kenedy is currently offline Click here to Send Leon s.kenedy a Private Message Find more posts by Leon s.kenedy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ilvorlandobloom

whats so nerdy about Orlando Bloom, eh?

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 08:47 AM
Gotwa
Ring Master

Nothing about him, just that you idolize him enough to make a name after him. And I was kidding.. until now. big grin

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 08:55 AM
Gotwa is currently offline Click here to Send Gotwa a Private Message Find more posts by Gotwa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ilvorlandobloom

lol, i was kidding too...hey what do u mean 'until now'? lol
i dont idolize him, im just OBsessed. laughing out loud

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 09:00 AM
AngelArwen
Angel in Elf's Clothing

I am SO proud to be a geek. I think it's unnatural. But if I had to choose between being a geek who reads and is cultured, and being someone cool who dresses well, I would SO choose the geek. I think being cultured is underrated in our society. And I think that most people who like LOTR are considered geeks because they know so much about it, more so than any casual movie-goer would. As of yet, I don't know enough about LOTR to become a geek, but I would definitely like to progress to geekdom eventually. ^^

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 09:16 AM
AngelArwen is currently offline Click here to Send AngelArwen a Private Message Find more posts by AngelArwen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ilvorlandobloom

all i have to do to become a true LOTR geek is read the Silmarillion. big grin

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 09:24 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Nerds have good taste I guess, unless they're nerds who like the matrix films.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 09:26 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ilvorlandobloom

hey, whats wrong w/ the matrix?

Old Post Dec 24th, 2003 09:30 AM