KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » The Seven Palantiri

The Seven Palantiri
Started by: Kitoky

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kitoky
Starting Anew

Question The Seven Palantiri

Exa - Everyone

I need some confirmation...can you guys tell me what the fates were for each of the Seven Palantiri that came to Middle-Earth? I know Feanor was said to have made them and there's one master Palantir that lies in the Tower of Avallónë on Tol Eressëa. And Elendil scattered the other palantiri all over Arda after the Fall of Numenor, and I forget what happened to them.

Thanks

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 03:56 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

Was just reading about the palantiri my self this morning, so here what I read big grin

Palantiri.

The seven Palantiri stones, (Those who watch far and wide) Fëanor made them in Eldamar in Aman in the Days of the Threes, it says " ..and other crystals he made also, wherein things far away could be seen small but clear, as with the eyes of the eagles of Manwë.." Elendil brought them from Númenor to Middle-earth in the Downfall of Númenor in the S.A.3319. The Palantiri was given to Elendils heir as a gift from the Eldar. The Palantiri looked like; in rest; to be made of solid glass or crystal in deep black hue, and perfectly smooth spheres, the size was for the smallest about 1 feet and the great stones ( nr. 3 + 4 ) much larger and so heawy they couldnt be liftet by one man. They were standing on round tables made of black marble.

The use of the stones : the small stones could only "talk" to each other one to one, a third couldnt break in or interfer but had to wait until the connection was finished only the great stones was able to do this ( the one in Osgiliath and prolly the one at Amun Sûl ) they were all set with poles corresponding to the Earth poles in order to be functional, if they by accident should be removed from the pole to pole corresponding they would not work and had to be set right again in both vertikal and horisontal. If you wantet to look Eastward you had to look in it from the Westside, the smaller stones was fixed at a direction but they could be reset, the great you could walk around like sweeping the horison It demands a great will to use the Palantiri to there fullest, everybody could look in them and see what there might be in its line of sight but only those with a strong will was able to enlarge specific things, objects or humans concentrating only on this or keep another strong will in another stone from shoving what he might desire. The seven stones was kept in :

1 The city Annúminas.

2 The tover Elostirion at Emyn Beraid in Grey Havens.

3 The tover of Amun Sûl. (Later Weathertop)

4 The Dome of Osgiliath in the city Osgiliath. in Gondor.

5 The tover Minas Ithil (Later Minas Morgul)

6 The tover Minas Anor (In Minas Tirith) in Gondor.

7 The tover Orthanc. in Nan Curunir / Isengaard.

The known destiny of the seven stones are as followed :

1 + 3.: The Palantiri in Annúminas and the one at Amun Sûl went down in Bay of Forochel with Arvedui in T.A.1975 while Arvedui tried to escape to Mithlond from the evil Witch-king from Angmar, the Palantiri from Amun Sûl was the most importent of the western Palantiri; 1 + 2 + 3.

2.: The last Palantiri in the west, the one in Elostirion at Emyn Berain in Grey Havens left middle-Earth with the same ship as Elrond left with. That one Palantiri did not corresponded with the others but was set towards the ocean so Elendil could have a straigt look ahead the Blessed land, Tol-Eressëa and Avallónë.

4.: The Palantir in Osgilliath, the strongest of them and called Anarions Palantiri, was lost in the war of the Kin-strife in the ruin and burning of the tower in the city in T.A.1437 during the reign of Eldakar. ( Pme.)

5.: Minas Ithils Palantir was captured by Sauron when Minas Ithil fell under the Nazgul wrath, T.A2002, this Palantiri was Isildurs Palantiri and the Palantiri vanished when Sauron and his dark kingdom Mordor was finaly destroyed in T.A3019

6.: The one in Minas Anor, may probably still be there lying in Rath Dinen with Denethor II. but all there is to see in it, if they dont have pover of the ancient to turn it away, is the burning hands of Denethor II.

7.: The last Palantiri, the one from Orthanc came in the hands of Aragorn II., T.A.3019 and where it vent after his death there is no saying but i asume it was left over to his son Eldarion and it still is in his heirs costody in Minas Tirith in Gondor.

The last conclusion may be that 5 of the stones have returned to where they came from or have been destroyed and one of the remaining cant be used and the last is out there so check out ya familytree smile

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 04:10 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

The Seven Seeing Stones were made by Feanor in Eldamar in the Days of the Trees; the elves gave them to the Men of Númenor and Elendil brought them to Middle-earth in the seven Ships he built.

Where the Stones were kept:
1. City of Annúminas
2. Tower Elostirion in the Emyn Beraid near Mithlond
3. Watching Tower of Amon Sûl (Weathertop)
4. Osgiliath in Gondor
5. Minas Ithil (Minas Morgul)
6. Minas Anor (Minas Tirith)
7. Orthanc in Isengard

What happened to them:
N°1 and N°3 drowned in the Bay of Forochel together with the Last King Arvedui in TA 1975 when he fled to Mithlond.

N°2, Last Palantír of the North, didnt correspond with the others; Elendil only used it to see westwards to Aman; Elrond took it with him in his ship.

N° was the most mighty and (even before N°3) biggest one; he was also called Anárions Stone and was lost during the Kinstrife of Eldacar and Castamir in TA 1437 when the Tower was burnt.

N°5, Isildur's Palantír, found his way into the hands of Sauron at the Fall of Minas Ithil in TA 2002 who used it to contact Saruman. He disappeared in TA 3019.

N°6 was often used by Denethor; he most probably still lies in his burnt hands in Rath Dínen in Minas Tirith.

N°7, the last one, was given to Aragorn after the fall of Orthand in TA 3019; its not clear what happened to it, Aragorn's son Eldarion probably inherited it.

Edit shit my text took too long time big grin

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 04:17 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

Oh my gosh, thank you guys. I love you!

Edit -

Okie, I just realized, that Exa's explaination was much more understandable then Lord Andres'

Erm...Lord Andres, what's with the 1+2+3 signs. No offense.

And Exa what's the N(degree) 1? And so forth? I'm guessing that is just to Number the Palantiri.

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Last edited by Kitoky on Jan 19th, 2004 at 04:39 PM

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 04:18 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by Kitoky
Okie, I just realized, that Exa's explaination was much more understandable then Lord Andres'

Erm...Lord Andres, what's with the 1+2+3 signs. No offense.

And Exa what's the N(degree) 1? And so forth? I'm guessing that is just to Number the Palantiri.

Actually I noticed afterwards that I had written nearly the same thing as he had though mine was based upon the facts noted in one of my numerous explanations for myself

I guess 1+2+3 are the Palantíri of the North

N°1 and so forth used for Palantír number one, two, three and so on, as noted by Tolkien
I used N° cuz I have no idea how to shorten "number" in english... I didnt want to use the german Nr.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 06:39 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

Oh I see now.

And I may also want to ask this now, in the RotK movie after Pippin's song is done, and we see Gandalf sit in the streets of Minas Tirith, and the thing that Gandalf is looking at....doesn't that looks like a broken crib?

Thank you so much Eezy!!

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 06:41 PM
Exabyte

Somehow, yes... you mean this scene...?
(just a moment im scanning through my galleries for the photo)

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 06:45 PM
The Inkeeper

yeah because people dont die in valinor so babies there go for HIGH prices

so he was thinking of the profit he could make from Manwe

Im Back happy

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 06:49 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

laughing laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud laughing Sauron

Thank you so much Eezy!!

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 06:50 PM
Kitoky
Starting Anew

quote:
Originally posted by Exa
Somehow, yes... you mean this scene...?
(just a moment im scanning through my galleries for the photo)

Did you have a pic?

Thank you so much Eezy!!

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 06:51 PM
Exabyte

I DO have a pic but it wont let me load it up... do you mean the scene when he's sitting around looking stupidely? Il try again with another one where you cant see everything

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 06:58 PM
Exabyte

Dunno if it works, the other one didnt

Attachment: gandalf_mtstreet.jpg
This has been downloaded 74 time(s).

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 06:58 PM
Kitoky
Starting Anew

No Gandalf was just sitting there the sun going down and he's sitting on the bench one the right side of the street and the camera starts to slowly moves out and we can see this broken something that he's staring at and it looks likes a crib.

Something like that but you could see a crib on the other side....

Thank you so much Eezy!!

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 06:59 PM
Exabyte

Yes I know but that pic didnt want to be uploaded big grin

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 07:07 PM
The Inkeeper

(please log in to view the image)

gandalf: COME ON GUYS!!!! its my damn tea break....can a wizard get ANY privacy.....oh my eru put that away im no doctor

Im Back happy

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 07:12 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Do you mean this scene? Or later? Or earlier?

Dunno if you can still recognize anything
had to reduce the size

Attachment: gandalfminas.jpg
This has been downloaded 70 time(s).

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 07:13 PM
Kitoky
Starting Anew

THAT EXACT POSITION but alittle bit later where the camera widens out and shows a pile of broken stuff.

Thank you so much Eezy!!

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 07:15 PM
Exabyte

big grin big grin

Il try to find one though I think all of those I have are earlier
Il ask a friend but that may take some time

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 07:18 PM
Kitoky
Starting Anew

Okie thanks Exa!

Thank you so much Eezy!!

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 07:20 PM
Exabyte

edit
tried to upload again totally but again didnt work

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 07:27 PM