KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » The happiest ending for a character

The happiest ending for a character
Started by: shadowy_blue

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
shadowy_blue

The happiest ending for a character

This could be from "The Silmarillion", "The Hobbit", or "The Lord of the Rings".

Who are the characters that you think had the happiest ending? Who do you think lived happily ever after, or who do you think had a bittersweet ending? Who are the characters who really had a bitter ending?

I always cry when I read the books and get to the end. The very last line in the book is a shot through my silly little heart. It's such a happy ending, but also such a bittersweet ending in a lot of ways.

I was just wondering what people thought about the end of the books. Some characters die, some character live on to uncertain fates and some get the ultimate "happily ever after" treatment.

Do you think things played out well? Are there characters or events you wished Tolkien had wrapped up differently? Is there anything that just doesn't make sense?

Old Post Feb 1st, 2004 09:59 PM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

I love the ending in the books. It's such a happy ending but at the same time it's so sad. I think the saddest part besides Frodo leaving Middle Earth would be the Ents. Almost all the characters got some kind of happy ending except the Ents who still don't know about the Entwives' whereabouts. Although it would be great if they managed to find them somehow, a part of me is being really pessimistic and thinks that the Entwives all died when the war came or fled east and died there.

I also always make myself believe that Eowyn and Faramir lived happily ever after because they deserve it. All their life they experienced despair and all the loved ones they had were lost. I think they deserve to be happy with each other for the rest of the time that was left to them.

Isildur's end is also tragic. Sure it was his fault to keep the Ring, but then again...maybe not. He kept the Ring as a weregild for his father's death but still the Ring betrayed him at the end.

Boromir's too is very bittersweet. He died and redeemed himself, but he never saw the White City and his people being saved. But then again, he saved a lot of people. He saved both Merry and Pippin, and Pippin afterwards saved Faramir, and Merry saved Eowyn. And Eowyn and Faramir soon afterwards met at the Houses of Healing. If not for Boromir at the first place I wouldn't have my favorite LOTR couple. big grin

I's also fond of picturing what it was like when Sam finally came to Valinor and finally saw Frodo again. Is Frodo dead already when Sam came? Or was Frodo in his deathbed? Were they very happy and jumping and laughing on the bed when they saw each other? Did they die at the same time? It's all open to interpretation.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2004 10:07 PM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Boromir is, as you said, bittersweet...

The most bitter end for my is (of course) BELEG love - killed by his best friend... so he died saving Túrin and Túrin unknowingly slay him sad *hugs poor beleg*

A very happy ending, I think, is Lúthien and Beren (his second death) - they lived a happy life together and one day it ended. Bit boring but happy.

Another bittersweet one is Finrod... killed saving Beren's life in his own former fortress on Tol-I-Ngaurhoth...
and one more bitter one: Fingon (see my signature stick out tongue )

And Sauron's end is just... well, depressing. He is such a cool character and obviously dies just because some hairy stupid little thing throws a piece of jewellry into a mountain mad

Old Post Feb 1st, 2004 10:46 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Camellia
Complete Tolkien geek

I think the story of Eowyn and Faramir is lovelysmile

Old Post Feb 1st, 2004 10:52 PM
Camellia is currently offline Click here to Send Camellia a Private Message Find more posts by Camellia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

I also don't know what to feel about Gollum's end. I guess I'm both sad and happy for him. Sad because of everything he went through because of the Ring, but then again, maybe even before the Ring came to his life, "Gollum" is already inside him, just waiting to be unleashed. And the Ring made it for him. I'm also kinda happy of his end because he seems very happy. He died holding the Ring that he's been lusting for for several decades. Notice in the movie, he tried his best to push the Ring up while he was burning in the lava just so he can see it as long as possible and to protect it from being "hurt". sad

Last edited by shadowy_blue on Feb 1st, 2004 at 11:14 PM

Old Post Feb 1st, 2004 11:11 PM
shadowy_blue

quote:
Originally posted by Exa

Aaaww...bad..bad....sad I also like Fingolfin's. He died fighting Melkor, and it wasn't very easy for Melkor too.

Nienor and Turin's end. sad They both fell in love not knowing that they're siblings. I know it's incest but they have no idea. I'm very sad for them. Turin will never be happy. Damn Melkor and his curse. mad stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 1st, 2004 11:21 PM
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

quote:
Originally posted by Exa
Boromir is, as you said, bittersweet...

The most bitter end for my is (of course) BELEG love - killed by his best friend... so he died saving Túrin and Túrin unknowingly slay him sad *hugs poor beleg*

A very happy ending, I think, is Lúthien and Beren (his second death) - they lived a happy life together and one day it ended. Bit boring but happy.

Another bittersweet one is Finrod... killed saving Beren's life in his own former fortress on Tol-I-Ngaurhoth...

And Sauron's end is just... well, depressing. He is such a cool character and obviously dies just because some hairy stupid little thing throws a piece of jewellry into a mountain mad

I know! I feel so bad for Beleg, but anyway, about Sauron. He didn't really die did he? His spirit just drifted away never to be seen again... right. Now, maybe he died, but I'm not for sure.

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 03:25 AM
BingaBonga is currently offline Click here to Send BingaBonga a Private Message Find more posts by BingaBonga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Though it seems so, I also do not think (and do not hope) that Sauron really died. No, he just cant have.

quote:
Originally posted by shadowy_blue
Aaaww...bad..bad....sad I also like Fingolfin's. He died fighting Melkor, and it wasn't very easy for Melkor too.

Nienor and Turin's end. sad They both fell in love not knowing that they're siblings. I know it's incest but they have no idea. I'm very sad for them. Turin will never be happy. Damn Melkor and his curse. mad stick out tongue

Yeah I also love Fingolfin's death... and the death of his horse Rochallor, died of broken heart after bringing the news of his master's death to Mithrim...... *cries*

And I think Túrin might become happy... in Valinor. According to the old version of his story, he was allowed to bathe in the baths of the Sun in Valinor as did Nienor, and so "the love between brother and sister became pure", well at least they lived happily among the gods afterwards... though they were originally mortal. And lol Túrin gets his revenge big grin

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 04:09 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rianna_d

I think Andreth and Aegnor had one of the most tragic endings... everytime I think about them I get very sad!
*sniff*
sad

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 05:07 PM
rianna_d is currently offline Click here to Send rianna_d a Private Message Find more posts by rianna_d Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

You're right... poor Andreth *cries* I always wondered why things like this didnt also happen between Idril and Tuor or other love stories between mortals and elves.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 05:35 PM
aniron

sniff sniff in my heart lotr hasn't finished sniff sniff

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 08:21 PM
aniron is currently offline Click here to Send aniron a Private Message Find more posts by aniron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

sauron didnt die big grin he is currently in the void...with melkor...partying his brains out big grinbig grin so dont be too upset...

Im Back happy

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 08:29 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
aniron

ok, hey do you think that the elves left britain when they went onto the ships and have gone to somewhere like france of africa? just a thought

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 08:35 PM
aniron is currently offline Click here to Send aniron a Private Message Find more posts by aniron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rianna_d

quote:
Originally posted by Exa
You're right... poor Andreth *cries* I always wondered why things like this didnt also happen between Idril and Tuor or other love stories between mortals and elves.

I guess that's what happens when an elf falls in love with a mortal woman sad so... stay away Legolas fans wink

Idril and Tuor were lucky, but poor Andreth and Aegnor... it would be so nice if they make a movie about them stick out tongue

*cries again*

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 09:34 PM
rianna_d is currently offline Click here to Send rianna_d a Private Message Find more posts by rianna_d Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
muse5
Fool of a Took

i think that faramir and eowyn's story ended the best, as shadowy said before, after all the despair that they faced they found each other. We can thank boromir for that whole thing happening, yeah for boromir being corrupt then redeeming himself at the end,

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time for peace, I swear it’s not too late

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 10:40 PM
muse5 is currently offline Click here to Send muse5 a Private Message Find more posts by muse5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

Happiest moment = Boromir comes back, teams up with the Witch King and Sauron and take over the world. smile

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 10:50 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
muse5
Fool of a Took

that would be kinda cool

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time for peace, I swear it’s not too late

Old Post Feb 5th, 2004 06:53 PM
muse5 is currently offline Click here to Send muse5 a Private Message Find more posts by muse5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote