KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Middle Earth Quotes to discus

Middle Earth Quotes to discus
Started by: Smodden

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

Middle Earth Quotes to discus

here is how this works...

you say a quote and we discus it here...

tell what the quote says to you personally...tell what you think tolkien was thinking when he wrote that quote...what the character meant (if it was a character)...ect

so i will go:

"When dawn comes, I will bid men sound Helm's horn, and I will ride forth...Maybe we shall cleave a road, or make such an end as will be worth a song..."-Theoden

beutifull arangement of words said by the king of rohan...
when the ppl of m:e do something of importance they hoped they were in songs and tales...they did not have magazines and newspapers...to carry news back and forth and to have your deed put into a song insured your deeds would live on at least for a little while when you died. People would walk by your grave and sing the song of theoden and his many deeds...

Old Post Apr 28th, 2004 10:39 PM
Smodden is currently offline Click here to Send Smodden a Private Message Find more posts by Smodden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

My turn? eek!

quote:
This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and the counsels of the Great.
- Elrond

I loved the profundity of the statement. When I first read it I was greatly moved, though I have no idea yet that the Hobbits will develop to be fully matured and will have a tremendous impact to everyone's lives. It was very moving and inspiring because we haven't really heard of Hobbits before. All the events in The Silmarillion only regarded the valor and intrepidness of the Elves and Men and Valar and even Dwarves, and it is very unexpected that creatures such as Hobbits will be the major hope of everyone in Middle-earth.

The statement has such a strong force to it and it makes you want to admire the Hobbits more. happy

Old Post Apr 28th, 2004 10:55 PM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

"It is inevitable." - Elrond.

I forget when he says this....

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2004 11:26 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

lol,

"the eagles are coming" - ya know I was going to chose this quote, I actually think it is a great line to resemble the anticapation.....just like in Moria when Gandalf states "They are coming"

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Apr 29th, 2004 12:37 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

"fool of a took!"-gandalf the gray

how can you not love that line..?

Old Post Apr 29th, 2004 04:47 PM
Smodden is currently offline Click here to Send Smodden a Private Message Find more posts by Smodden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

"Last of all Hurin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed; and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered, and each time that he slew Hurin cried 'Aure entuluva! Day shall come again!' Seventy times he uttered that cry; but they took him at last alive..." - The Silmarillion

winks-b...

this is my all-time fav quote of the sil...it literally shakes me down...its that powerfull of a quote...the first time i read it...i just froze and couldn't read any more...just picturing turin slaying countless orcs...with the words: Aure entuluva....echoing in my head over and over...untill i was saying it...aloud, i don't know why but its just something about the situation, and him being sooo desparate, and never giving up hope...i love that line...

Old Post Apr 29th, 2004 04:52 PM
Discos
The Discmeister

it gets quite annoying that quote lol, gandalf totally puts him down and Pippin wants gandalf to like him

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Apr 29th, 2004 04:52 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

quote:
originally written by jrr tolkienstick out tongueIn that vast shadow once of yore
Fingolfin stood: his shield he bore
with field of heaven's blue and star
of crystal shining pale afar.
In overmastering wrath and hate
desperate he smote upon that gate,
the Gnomish king, there standing lone,
while endless fortresses of stone
engulfed the thin clear ringing keen
of silver horn on baldric green.
His hopeless challenge dauntless cried
Fingolfin there: 'Come, open wide,
dark king, you ghatsly brazen doors!
Come forth, whom earth and heaven abhors!
Come forth, O monstruous craven lord,
and fight with thine own hand and sword,
thou wielder of hosts of banded thralls,
thou tyrant leaguered with strong walls,
thou foe of Gods and elvish race!
I wait thee here. Come! Show thy face!'

Then Morgoth came. For the last time
in those great wars he dared to climb
from subterranean throne profound,
the rumour of his feet a sound
of rumbling earthquake underground.
Black-armoured, towering, iron-crowned
he issued forth; his mighty shield
a vast unblazoned sable field
with shadow like a thundercloud;
and o'er the gleaming king it bowed,
as huge aloft like mace he hurled
that hammer of the underworld,
Grond. Clanging to ground it tumbled
down like a thunder-bolt, and crumbled
the rocks beneath it; smoke up-started,
a pit yawned, and a fire darted.

Fingolfin like a shooting light
beneath a cloud, a stab of white,
sprang then aside, and Ringil drew
like ice that gleameth cold and blue,
his sword devised of elvish skill
to pierce the flesh with deadly chill.
With seven wounds it rent his foe,
and seven mighty cries of woe
rang in the mountains, and the earth quook,
and Angband's trembling armies shook.

Yet Orcs would after laughing tell
of the duel at the gates of hell;
though elvish song thereof was made
ere this but one - when sad was laid
the mighty king in barrow high
and Thorndor, Eagle of the sky,
the dreadful tidings brought and told
to mourning Elfinesse of old.
Thrice was Fingolfin with great blows
to his knees beaten, thrice he rose
still leaping up beneath the cloud
aloft to hold star-shining, proud,
his stricken shield, his sundered helm,
that dark nor might could overwhelm
till all the earth was burst and rent
in pits about him. He was spent.
His feet stumbled. He fell to wreck
upon the ground, and on his neck
a foot like rooted hills was set,
and he was crushed - not conquered yet;
one last despairing stroke he gave:
the mighty foot pale Ringil clave
about the heel, and black the blood
gushed as from smoking fount in flood.

Halt goes for ever from that stroke
great Morgoth; but the king he broke,
and would have hewn and mangled thrown
to wolves devouring. Lo! from throne
that Manwë bade him build on high,
on peak unscaled beneath the sky,
Morgoth to watch, now down there swooped
Thorndor the King of Eagles, stooped,
and rending beak of gold he smote
in Bauglir's face, then up did float
on pinions thirty fathoms wide
bearing away, though loud they cried,
the mighty corse, the elven-king;
and where the mountains make a ring
far to the south about that plain
where after Gondolin did reign,
embattled city, at great height
upon a dizzy snowcap white
in mounded cairn the mighty dead
he laid upon the mountain's head.
Never Orc nor demon after dared
that pass to climb, o'er which they stared
Fingolfin's high and holy tomb,
till Gondolin's appointed doom.

well., what CANT you love about that!?!?

Im Back happy

Old Post Apr 29th, 2004 06:09 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

that just reminded me

boromir took three arrows and thrice he rose

yet another sil reference

Im Back happy

Old Post Apr 29th, 2004 06:11 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thorondor
Love?

"Doom!" - Elrond

need i say more? lol

A God Among Geeks

Old Post Apr 29th, 2004 06:13 PM
Thorondor is currently offline Click here to Send Thorondor a Private Message Find more posts by Thorondor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

I just want to say...these are the reasons why I love the bad minions in Middle-earth.
quote:
There is a third kind: pickers of bones, meddlers in other mens sorrows, carrionfowl that grow fat on war. What aid have you ever brought, Stormcrow?
- Wormtongue

quote:
Murderers and elf friends! Slash them! Beat them! Bite them! Gnash them! Take them away to dark holes filled with snakes, and never let them see the light again!
- The Great Goblin

quote:
… his name is Melkor, Lord of All, Giver of Freedom, and he shall make you stronger than they.
- Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

quote:
One thief deserves another.
- Saruman

quote:
Now we see you, you nasty little creature! We will eat you and leave your bones and skin hanging on a tree... we'll hang him head downwards on a tree for a day or two.
- Spider, in Mirkwood

quote:
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar.
- Smaug

quote:
You have grown, Halfling. Yes, you have grown very much. You are wise, and cruel. You have robbed my revenge of sweetness, and now I must go hence in bitterness, in debt to your mercy. I hate it and you!
- Saruman

quote:
It takes more to make a king than a piece of Elvish glass, or a rabble such as this. Why? Any brigand of the hills can show as good a following.
- Mouth of Sauron

quote:
Radagast the Brown! Radagast the Bird-tamer! Radagast the Simple! Radagast the Fool! Yet he had just the wit to play the part I set him. For you have come, and that was the purpose of my message. And here you shall stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from your journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!
- Saruman

quote:
Gibbets and Crows! Dotard! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs!
- Saruman

quote:
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bare thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind be left naked to the lidless eye.
- Witch King

quote:
"We are seeking Baggins," he said hissing out the name like a snake. "Baggins is with them. If he comes, you will tell us, and we will repay you with gold. If you do not tell us, we will repay you - otherwise"
- Black Rider

They have the coooooollesstt lines in the whole damn books!!! cool big grin love

Last edited by shadowy_blue on Apr 29th, 2004 at 09:09 PM

Old Post Apr 29th, 2004 09:07 PM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

Now, to break them down...
quote:
There is a third kind: pickers of bones, meddlers in other mens sorrows, carrionfowl that grow fat on war. What aid have you ever brought, Stormcrow?
- Wormtongue

When I first read this...I remember my first thought was..."Wow! He's cool........and a bastard."
There was just something in that line that is too cool to say and hear, but if you look at it in a deeper way, that was very cruel of him to say something like that. Now, I'm starting to believe that he indeed was affected by some of Saruman's attitudes.
quote:
Murderers and elf friends! Slash them! Beat them! Bite them! Gnash them! Take them away to dark holes filled with snakes, and never let them see the light again!
- The Great Goblin

I was having a sensory overload when I first read this. Wow! A parallel statement. And just like I said, it's cool. I really can't put my finger on why it appeared very cool to me, but yes..it is. You could really feel the Goblins' hatred toward the Elves, and they were really very determined to kill Bilbo and the Dwarves.
quote:
… his name is Melkor, Lord of All, Giver of Freedom, and he shall make you stronger than they.
- Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Hhmm, I will kinda take the path of The Bible here, but not too much. Just a little bit, just for reference. That particular line of Sauron reminded me of the Devil who tempted Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. The Devil promised that if Eve bit the apple (symbol for temptation)..they will be stronger and more knowledgable and more powerful than God. Sauron really is a deceiver, and very great at that. wink
quote:
- Saruman

It caught my attention because...again...it's cool. wink I've never thought of it before. One thief deserves another..LOL..stick out tongue But if you'll really think about it, it's very true.
quote:
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar.
- Smaug

All I can say is....LOL! laughing out loud Well, that's not all...but that was the first thing that came to my head when I've read it. stick out tongue

I'll do the rest later. big grin

Old Post Apr 29th, 2004 10:22 PM
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

*calls s-b*mobile

vvery good all of smaug's lines are pure genius...i love everyone of his lines...big grin

Old Post Apr 30th, 2004 01:45 AM
Exabyte

quote:

Great quotes, Shadowy. I like especially the one with Morgoth being the giver of freedom, this idea fascinates me, I also started to search for more quotes like that (i only never can remember where I wrote them down...)

The line above you quoted somehow reminds me of one of Feanors lines in the Silmarillion - a thief shall reveal thieves or something like that, I cant remember correctly, it's one or two sentences after Mandos' comment on Feanors famous quote ("and if I shall break them, I shall break my heart, and i shall be slain, first of all Eldar of Aman" - "Not the first..." (in reference to Finwe, slain shortly before by Melkor)

Old Post Apr 30th, 2004 11:38 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
muse5
Fool of a Took

quote:
Originally posted by Smodden
"fool of a took!"-gandalf the gray

how can you not love that line..?

one of my friends named me 'fool of a took' or just 'took', for people who know me... know why i appreciate that line so much, i have done soo many things like pippin's moria skeleton in my life, but that was just great

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time for peace, I swear it’s not too late

Old Post Apr 30th, 2004 03:44 PM
muse5 is currently offline Click here to Send muse5 a Private Message Find more posts by muse5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

quote:
I will not give you counsel, saying do this, do that.

This said by Galadriel.

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2004 07:24 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

quote:
Originally posted by Exa
The line above you quoted somehow reminds me of one of Feanors lines in the Silmarillion - a thief shall reveal thieves or something like that, I cant remember correctly, it's one or two sentences after Mandos' comment on Feanors famous quote ("and if I shall break them, I shall break my heart, and i shall be slain, first of all Eldar of Aman" - "Not the first..." (in reference to Finwe, slain shortly before by Melkor)

Oh, I found it. big grin
quote:
'And is he not Vala as are they,' said his thought, 'and does he not understand their hearts? Yea, a thief shall reveal thieves!' Then he cried aloud: 'This things I will not do of free will. But if the Valar will constrain me, then shall I know indeed that Melkor is of their kindred.'

Very excellent quote indeed. big grin I just love his attitude so much.

Old Post May 1st, 2004 04:44 AM
The Inkeeper

isnt there a

ifi break them i shall break my heart and know that the vala are indeed the kindred of morgoth

or soemthing like that in there

Im Back happy

Old Post May 1st, 2004 09:48 AM
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

quote:
Originally posted by Kitoky
This said by Galadriel.

also...

"it is said do not ask the elves for counsil for they will say both yes and no..."

i forgot exactly who said that....frodo?...to an elf in the shire...??

Old Post May 1st, 2004 02:58 PM
Thorondor
Love?

elrond was it not?

edit - no it was the elf he and sam met near the start of the FoTR

A God Among Geeks

Old Post May 1st, 2004 02:59 PM
Thorondor is currently offline Click here to Send Thorondor a Private Message Find more posts by Thorondor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote