KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Why weren't any actors from LOTR nominated?

Why weren't any actors from LOTR nominated?
Started by: Darth Revan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Revan
-

Shocked Why weren't any actors from LOTR nominated?

I thought for sure Sean Astin was going to get nominated for Best Supporting Actor... And Viggo... And Hugo... And the lady who plays Eowyn (forgot her name).. And definitely Ian...

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2004 06:02 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pinksuezo
I'm not that new!

because the characters in lotr are mythological-type characters, u know, like the bad guy and the hero and the mentor (i.e. gandalf), etc.

they may have done an excellent job portraying the characters they r spose to, but its not seen as being in the same category as dramatic "real people" roles, with "modern" problems and not legendary-type problems.

gollum did get some kind of recognition, though didnt he? (i.e. best special effects or somthin like that last year?) thats kind of a nod to serkis, i think.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2004 06:17 AM
pinksuezo is currently offline Click here to Send pinksuezo a Private Message Find more posts by pinksuezo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

You would havw to do STAGGERINGLY well to get an acting nomination with thisd sort of work. It was a miracle that Alec Guiness got nominated for Star Wars, and he was THE man, you know?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 4th, 2004 12:34 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ash007
Strength and Honour

mmmmmmm Alec Guiness i dont think so i didn't like him much wink

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post Mar 4th, 2004 12:57 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

NLC cinema suggested Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn and Sam as "supporting actors"... but they werent nominated in the end.

The problem is I think also that Tolkien's characters have little in common with usual film characters and are thus difficult to be compared to others.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2004 02:24 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Camellia
Complete Tolkien geek

If anybody should have got anything, Andy Serkis should have got some recognition.

But then again, I don't think that was exactly necessary...is that the right word?

Old Post Mar 4th, 2004 03:57 PM
Camellia is currently offline Click here to Send Camellia a Private Message Find more posts by Camellia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

I think the reason no-one got an award was because it was an ensmeble piece -- every part of the story was equally important, and therefore every actor/character was equally important. If one actor had over-shadowed the rest, it would have defeated the object.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2004 04:46 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

the main reason i can see is that their characters were spread out over 3 films. And the oscars can only nominate movies from last year/this year. You need a full character to nominate and none of the ROTK actors played full characters.

I understand why McKellan got a nom in LOTR, cause his character had a begining and an end ( remember he supposedly DIES in Moria).

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Mar 4th, 2004 09:08 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

It's such an ensemble piece that, if everyone here took a vote on who should be nominated, who could it possibly be? There's Elijah, Viggo, Ian - for supporting? There's Daisy, Sean Astin, Serkis, and many more, we wouldn't know who to chose, and there would be alot of bickering and whining so I'm just happy with them just getting the Golden Globe for Outstanding Cast Performance in an Ensemble Piece. smile

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2004 12:24 AM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pinksuezo
I'm not that new!

whos daisy?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2004 05:34 AM
pinksuezo is currently offline Click here to Send pinksuezo a Private Message Find more posts by pinksuezo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

David Wenham...wink It's his nickname. big grin

Old Post Mar 5th, 2004 06:29 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

Opps did I say that, my bad embarrasment

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2004 12:47 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

Yeah, there's simply too many equal parts there, picking out one performance is sketchy. Also because of this, none of the actors really get enough time and space to do an award-winning performance, even if they're good.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2004 02:40 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RaventheOnly
GheutWunOlathWholSsussun

I just concur that it would be rather difficult to decide "which" character should play the lead role, Frodo is supposed to be the main character but the form of the movie itself suggests otherwise. Along with that there aren't really any awards given that would accommodate such a large cast as some of you point out.

Last edited by Kitoky on Mar 5th, 2004 at 08:44 PM

Old Post Mar 5th, 2004 03:18 PM
RaventheOnly is currently offline Click here to Send RaventheOnly a Private Message Find more posts by RaventheOnly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote