KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » The Children Of Hurin

Would you get the book?
This poll is closed.
Yes 5 100.00%
No 0 0%
Maybe 0 0%
Total: 5 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Children Of Hurin
Started by: Unicor777

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

The Children Of Hurin

According to an internet article the son of Tolkin has completed one of his unfinished stories- http://www.mania.com/52290.html. WOuld you consider to procure the book?

$$$REMEMBER DUMBLEDORE$$$

R.I.P Headmaster Severus Snape

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Tigg, RebPhoe, Maika, Rogue, Sarant, ADarksideJedi, MUSC

Old Post Feb 20th, 2007 01:32 PM
Unicor777 is currently offline Click here to Send Unicor777 a Private Message Find more posts by Unicor777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Children of Hurin...

Published soon, apparently, being a continuing work for Christopher Tolkien for a few good years.

Been talk of a movie too.

Anyone interested? Or would you rather disregard Lord of the Rings and spam in the Tig party thread? smile

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Mar 27th, 2007 05:30 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

The uninteresting Tig thread wins.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2007 05:16 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
A.D. Skinner
Assistant Director

I can't wait until the release of this book, and I will be securing a copy for sure.

I did hear that Christopher said it would make a good movie, and if he has any sense, he will sell the rights to PJ instead of New Line or some other Corporate company. It is a shame that he won't be doing the Hobbit, but we are not hear to talk about that.

So what have you heard about COH?

Old Post Mar 30th, 2007 01:15 PM
A.D. Skinner is currently offline Click here to Send A.D. Skinner a Private Message Find more posts by A.D. Skinner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandos
Why would I want more?

Two questions: What's this about a new book? And PJ won't make The Hobbit?

Old Post Mar 30th, 2007 05:26 PM
Mandos is currently offline Click here to Send Mandos a Private Message Find more posts by Mandos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

The actual contents of the story I don't know, but the I believe it must be an editied acccount of the story of Turin Turumbar. To give people an idea of who he was, although I suspect some may know, I'll just say a few things about him.

The tale itself follows a typical structure for a tragedy, this ain't a Hobbit Pie eating competition.

The tale is about Turin, a man, related to Aragorn and Elrond in a very distant way (Turin's cousin, Tuor, was Elrond's grandfather).

It is set in the First Age, in Beleriand, which at the end of the First Age, sinks into the sea.

Turin's father, Hurin, was a great lord and warrior among the men in Beleriand. He was eventually captured by Morgoth (Sauron's master) after killing 70 odd trolls with his axe. So his son isn't a pushover.

Morgoth lays a curse on Hurin and his children after Hurin mocks Morgoth, laughs at him. This curse hangs over Turin, his sister and his father, leading to many evils.

Turin was an outcast, who travelled through many Elf kingdoms fighting against Morgoth and his orc legions; so they'll be plently of action.

In ironic comparison to the curse of Hurin, Huor, his brother, who was pierced by an arrow in the eye at the battle where Hurin was captured, was the father of Tuor, who's children and grandchildren caused the downfall of Morgoth.

In regard to Peter Jackson, he's in a legal battle with New Line in regards to his pay, and New Line have refused to work with him ever again.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2007 02:29 PM
The Rover

As far as I'm aware, the text of The Children of Húrin will simply be the Narn-text of Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth, but with the unedited parts not included in that book (e.g., Túrin amongst the outlaws, etc.) finished.

I think that of all the tales of the First Age, the Narn i Chîn Húrin seems the most adaptable to film, and agree that it would be an excellent film if the essence of the story and a large part of it (if not all) were retained.

Last edited by The Rover on Apr 2nd, 2007 at 01:13 AM

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2007 01:09 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Icicle
Wild Mage

Wow a new book, man I cant wait!!! And what are you talking about PJ wont be doing the Hobbit??

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2007 04:40 PM
Icicle is currently offline Click here to Send Icicle a Private Message Find more posts by Icicle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Google it Icicle, it's quite common knowledge amongst those in the know smile

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2007 06:17 PM
The Rover

quote: (post)
Originally posted by de Peverel
As far as I'm aware, the text of The Children of Húrin will simply be the Narn-text of Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth, but with the unedited parts not included in that book (e.g., Túrin amongst the outlaws, etc.) finished.

I think that of all the tales of the First Age, the Narn i Chîn Húrin seems the most adaptable to film, and agree that it would be an excellent film if the essence of the story and a large part of it (if not all) were retained.

What do you know....I was right. stick out tongue
Seriously, though, has no one save me bought this book? confused

Old Post Apr 27th, 2007 12:01 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

Its allready out !

Old Post May 6th, 2007 08:37 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

confused

Dude, do you seriously not read other people's posts? Or is that surprise?

Last edited by The Rover on May 7th, 2007 at 08:08 PM

Old Post May 7th, 2007 08:00 PM
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Willaume I've bought it, I havn't read it yet as I'm re-reading the Trilogy and the Sil but its on my "to read" list.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post May 7th, 2007 10:57 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

HIs books are ok.But I like his father's books alot better.Most of the books he writes are hard to understand.Inleast for me.jm

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 8th, 2007 02:49 AM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
HIs books are ok.But I like his father's books alot better.Most of the books he writes are hard to understand.Inleast for me.jm

Really? What a surprise.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post May 8th, 2007 03:39 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Originally posted by thefallen544
Willaume I've bought it, I havn't read it yet as I'm re-reading the Trilogy and the Sil but its on my "to read" list.

Hallelujah! A reply! stick out tongue
Trust me, the book is an actual narrative, as opposed to the annalistic Silm. wink

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi

It was written by J.R.R. Tolkien!
It was edited together by his son for coherence.

Old Post May 8th, 2007 10:15 PM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Oh I did not know that.Thanks for letting me know!jm

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 9th, 2007 02:44 AM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

S'okay. Its a bit odd, though.
It is a construction, but it seems to fit the general narrative structure, and those of his other works. wink

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:58 PM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Yea I know what you mean.I try to read of his books made by his son but they were so hard to read i gave up!JM

Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 10th, 2007 02:32 AM
The Rover

Well, the H.M.E. series was more about showing the roots of the legends and establishing just how much of The Silmarillion as published derived from his father's writings.

All in all, C.R. Tolkien deserves our respect. Although I have to admit that there were some minor mistakes that made it into the published work, and that some of the editorial work might have been taken too far, it still represents as best as possible Tolkien's original intentions and is a fabulous work.

Old Post May 10th, 2007 03:03 AM