KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Obi-Wan and the darkside

Obi-Wan and the darkside
Started by: Jedimaster3838

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jedimaster3838

Obi-Wan and the darkside

Okay, okay, I know this is really stretching it a little bit, but was Obi-Wan dabbling in the darkside when he killed Darth Maul. When they were fighting he always had this really mean look on his face, when Qui-Gon always seemed to be calm, cool, and collected. And after Maul killed Qui-Gon Obi-Wan was very upset(which is understandable, but anger is a darkside trait, so is revenge, correct?) Its looks very much like Obi-Wan was angry(which would seem natural, but the light/dark line is such a fine line) and vengeful(again understood) Was it the power of the darkside that destoryed Darth Maul? Maul always had this look of "yes, let your anger grow" look on his face.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2000 03:34 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

This is a very good question JM3838. I think it was in a comic version of TPM that I Obi-Wan says to Yoda something like "Master, I couldn't control my anger after master Qui-Gon was struck down." So he was indeed angry over Qui-Gon's death.
Also, in Empire Strikes Back, when Yoda says that Luke has too much anger Ben replies, "Was I any different when you taught me?"
It shows us that from time to time Obi-Wan does have trouble controlling his actions in the Force, but I doubt he'll ever get as close to turning to the Dark Side as Luke did.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2000 03:40 AM
Click here to Send Darth Daft a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Daft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theEvilJedi

Truth Darth,but I also heard you can ONLY destroy your enemy using the anger/darkside inside you.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: (Looks up at his chains) "Good job!"

Old Post Oct 13th, 2000 04:05 AM
Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xantos Clone

obi wan and the darkside

yes, but it was his anger and over-aggresisness that almost killed him....he was getting too angry and maul was feeding on it...

it was only when obi wan was calm and started to concentrate (when hanging from for dear life) and used his 'jedi' skills to finally defeat maul...

he had control over his anger at the end and killed him...

Old Post Oct 13th, 2000 12:35 PM
Gundark
Mayhem

Obi Wan and the darkside

I totally agree with XC on this. You could see on Obi-Wan's face as he was dangling over the edge, that he seemed to totally shut Maul out of his mind temporarily so he could totally concentrate on a) pulling Qui-Gon's lightsaber to him, and b) flipping his body back up out of the shaft. (I've noticed George is really into shafts.) Then he finished Maul off so quickly because he at that point had total control over his anger and caught Maul by surprise.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2000 07:58 PM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

Re: Obi Wan and the darkside

I agree with you XC and Gundark. That is a good point about Obi-Wan controlling his anger while hanging on the edge of the pit. When he is fighting Darth Maul you notice that he doesn't ever seem to really strike at him at his soft spots of anywhere open. He is just striking anywhere with his lightsabre because of his anger and so Darth Maul can easily block all of his attacks and knock him into the pit. Once in there, Obi-Wan realises the situation and uses the Force instead of relying on anger and hatred for Maul.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 12:07 AM
Click here to Send Darth Daft a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Daft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedimaster3838

Good call on that guys. He did seem to gather himself while hanging for dear life. I guess he figured using his anger wasn't working, and he saw the light, no pun intended, and killed Maul. <Sigh> why did he have to die? He was such a great character.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 05:07 AM
theEvilJedi

Yet he did not kill Maul without using the darkside.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 09:12 AM
Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xantos Clone

obi wan and the darkside

hmmm....I know this is going to make my stock fall, but here I go....

I hate to disagree with a council member Master EJ, but killing a sith lord is not a darkside trait.

In fact, it's what Yoda said finally made him a jedi. Even yoda and obi wan want Luke to face vader and kill him to become a full fledge jedi.

Obi wan become one with the force (light side) and killed maul. I don't agree that he used the dark side to kill maul.

I don't see this getting me on the council anytime soon....I know......

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 09:49 AM
Darth Daft

Re: obi wan and the darkside

Don't worry, Xantos Clone. You don't have to agree with what council members say. You made a perfectly good point.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 06:30 PM
theEvilJedi

I guess your right.I heard that before but i don't know if it is true.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 09:23 PM
Darth Daft

I think that although Obi-Wan was angry when he was fighting Maul he wasn't nessecarily nearing the Dark Side. He seems like the sort of Jedi who would never turn to the Dark Side, but still feels it's nesecary to let out some of his anger over certain things. He may have been able to control his emotion, but he felt that at the time, he had a right to have hatred over Maul, even if it is an attribute of the Dark Side.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2000 12:47 AM
theEvilJedi

Finally someone is here to talk to.smile

Old Post Oct 15th, 2000 12:52 AM
Darth Daft

Oh hi EJ. cool

Old Post Oct 15th, 2000 12:55 AM
theEvilJedi

You sure like those emoticons.laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 15th, 2000 12:56 AM
Darth Daft

Yeah I find that one funny. rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Oct 15th, 2000 12:57 AM
theEvilJedi

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 15th, 2000 12:58 AM
Darth Daft

smile sad wink no expression rolling on floor laughing cool cool big grin stick out tongue embarrasment eek! : 0] smokin' laughing out loud evil face

Old Post Oct 15th, 2000 01:04 AM
theEvilJedi

Calm down little one.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2000 01:09 AM
Darth Daft

Sorry got a little carried away. We've come off topic a little so where were we?
Ah yes, Obi-Wan and the Dark Side. I'm not sure if he was using the Dark Side while fighting Maul. We've mentioned that he was angry and hateful of Maul (both attributes leading to the Dark Side) but does anyone think he may have been scared at all.
"FEAR leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."
Do you think that as Darth Maul appeared Obi-Wan was SCARED and after Qui-Gon was struck down he became ANGRY and then HATEful of Maul. And then as Qui-Gon died in his arms he had to SUFFER the loss of his master. Does this all fit together or is it just coincidence that it matches with what Yoda said?

Old Post Oct 15th, 2000 04:13 AM