KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » The prime of anakin skywalker

The prime of anakin skywalker
Started by: master harmax

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
master harmax

The prime of anakin skywalker

According to Obi Wan : Anakin was the best starpilot in the galaxy, exceptionally strong with the force, a cunning warrior, and a good friend.

According to Yoda : Anakin was a "powerful jedi" ( ESB )

In ANH, in the scene where the rebel pilots are preparing to take off to attack the approaching death star, one of the senior fighters tells Luke, that if he is half as good as his Father, he will do all right.

So what I'm wondering is .... just when are we going to see all this ? Because, from whatever we know of Ep.2 we aren't really going to see the prime of anakin skywalker before his fall from grace ... we will probably see him do some cool stuff in the chase on Coruscant ... but leaving that aside, hardly anything else ... in fact what we ARE going to see is him getting shellacked by Count Dooku.

And obviously, a large portion of Ep.3 will be devoted to showing the actual fall of anakin and from what I know, Darth Vader is going to return ( with James Earl Jones doing the vo's and all ).

So I don't know just WHERE and WHEN we will see Anakin, the best pilot in the galaxy, powerful jedi, cunning warrior, good friend etc.etc.... i.e. the prime of anakin skywalker.

or for that matter even IF .... because another important issue that will have to be resolved in Ep.3, is, how did Yoda and Obi Wan manage to survive the jedi purge, and evade Darth Vader, with Darth Sidious and the imperial army behind him. And between Anakin's fall and the afore mentioned loose end ( and also other important things ), i fail to see where there is time to show anakin as a powerful jedi knight and the best pilot ... as of now, at the end of Ep.2 he is still very much a padawan ... and a rather badly defeated one at that.

Last edited by master harmax on Mar 7th, 2002 at 10:55 PM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2002 10:51 PM
Click here to Send master harmax a Private Message Find more posts by master harmax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Right time is indeed a big problem; in the end all we can do is see what they can fit into ep.iii (with Vader only playing an absolutely tiny role if he does appear).

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 7th, 2002 10:54 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedi fernando

best starpilot? well i guess weŽll get to see that in episode III
but we already know he is a very good pilot : podrace, coruscant chase.

exceptionally strong with the force? mmm highest midichlorian count remember, and weŽve seen how strong with the force he is in the podrace and at the end of tpm, weŽll probably see more in AOTC and episode III.

a cunning warrior? well, i hope we see that in AOTC in the geonisian battle and weŽll probably see a lot of that in episode 3 before, while and after turning to the darkside.

a good friend? well we know his feelings towards obi wan: "youŽve been like a father to me" in AOTC, and theyŽre very good friends coz anakin went to geonisis to "save" him remember? and weŽll probably see more of their friendship in episode III. I HOPE.

anakin skywalker probably was very famous after being the only human and being a 9 year old who won the podrace on TANTOOINE, so thats why he would be famous. and he probably make himself famous as a pilot during the clonewars.
im pretty positive weŽll see anakin fight as a pilot in episode III.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2002 11:51 PM
Click here to Send jedi fernando a Private Message Find more posts by jedi fernando Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

All that is fair enough, but I do understand Harmax's basic point; from Obi-Wan's basic description of Anakin we might have expected to see rather a lot more of these skills than it seems will happen.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 12:00 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
He-Man

Hey hey hey. You're all forgetting that Anakin destroyed the droid control ship. That definetly made everybody think his a great pilot even more than just the podrace.

And there is a ten years time between ep I and II and we don't know what has happened during that time. Ani and Ob1 can be good friends but we don't see that kind of stuff on the films.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 02:10 PM
Click here to Send He-Man a Private Message Find more posts by He-Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediOasis
Better Man

Exacxtly, I'm sure after the battle of naboo Anakin became well known for destorying the droid control ship, plus the podrace and in EPII we see the chase through Coruscant. And from what we know of his fight at the end is that Obi-Wan gets his stuff handed to him as well and Anakin doesnt die against one of the greatest wielders of the lightsaber in the galaxy and he's only a padawan, so thats something. Obviously the Jedi Council thinks enough of his ability by assigning him to protect Padme.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 07:53 PM
Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
master harmax

All that's well and good ...

All I'm saying is, in the OT, by Yoda's and Obi Wan's description, Anakin was made out to be an exceptionally brilliant jedi before his fall to the dark side ...

Upto now, ( and that includes AOTC ), what we've seen is a potentially brilliant jedi, and an exceptional padawan - the pod race, the exploit of blowing up the droid control ship, the chase through coruscant -

but what we havent' seen in TPM ( obviously ), and what we are NOT going to see in AOTC ( by the looks of it so far ) is an exceptionally brilliant jedi ... in fact I think in AOTC, the emphasis is going to be more on Anakin's weaknesses, emotional as well as in his abilities as a jedi, rather than on his brilliance ...

which is fine ... nothing wrong with that ...

but, i just thought it might be nice, or, in fact neccessary to also show his greatness, in action, as well ... not just by words, by telling us that he's got the highest midiclorean count, and he's the chosen one etc.etc. - which hasn't come out so far, either in TPM, which doesn't count because that's the movie with him as a really young boy - or, in AOTC, from whatever we know of the spoilers ... just to justify the way he's been built up in the OT.

Which leaves Ep.3 - and that's going to be all about his fall mainly -

thus we come to my point = we haven't seen the prime of anakin skywalker, "powerful jedi" in the words of yoda - and by the looks of it, we might never ...

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 09:17 PM
Click here to Send master harmax a Private Message Find more posts by master harmax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Just because we don't see his brilliantness doesn't mean that he isn't great. GL has to show his youth and his fall, he can't show everything in between.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 09:20 PM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

We are still seeing less than we might have expected to, though, that's the thing. And I am VERY surprised than Anakin does not do any star fighting in this film. After being so clearly referred to as the greatest star pilot in the galaxy and everything...

In Episode one he accidentally destroyed the DCS, not the thing legends are made of.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 09:25 PM
LanceWindu

But did Anakin ever tell anybody that is what an accident that he destroyed the DCS?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 09:32 PM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That's not really the point; we have to eqaute on-screen to what we hear in ANH and ROTJ, and it is simply surprising that we will have to wait until episode three to see his famous starfighter talents in action.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 09:45 PM
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

Doesn't podracing and the chase scene count? Remember, other humans can fly ships in space, but Anakin is the ONLY human who can podrace. I thought that was the whole point of putting that in TPM.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 10:05 PM
Click here to Send jedi212guy a Private Message Find more posts by jedi212guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

He was called a STAR pilot; the whole podracing thing showed he was precocious but it is hardly the same, by a long shot.

Look, he hasn't shot down a single enemy fighter! When someone has a legend as being the greatest star pilot ever you expect to see him kicking some butt in space!

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 10:18 PM
Julie
The Student

I say we all wait until Aotc and then decide if we get to see Mr. Chosen one at his bestwink

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 10:31 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Err... let;s just say we have good reason to beleive he does no starfighting in AOTC; he's impressive but still a Padawan.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 10:34 PM
master harmax

Exactly my point ...

I never meant to say, that just because we haven't seen his greatness in action, he's not great ... of course he's great and exceptional. That's his character !

But what I meant to say was, since he WAS built up to be this great jedi DUDE and all that, and that was reinforced in TPM with things like the highest midichlorean count and the chosen one and all that ... it would have been opportune perhaps to have brought that out in ep.2 = to actually show Anakin kick some serious ass - especially as a star pilot warrior, because he is the " best star pilot in the galaxy ", also that rebel warrior telling luke in ANH that if he did half as well as his father, he should do ok.

And pod racing like Ush says, shows the potential genius of a young boy prodigy - ditto the blowing up of the droid control ship, in which their WAS some degree of luck involved.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 10:36 PM
Julie
The Student

I agree that TPM did not emphasize Anakin's greatness, but just as you said...he was a little boy then...this is 10 yrs later.

No starfighting in AotC for Anakin...so sad.....sad

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 10:39 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
master harmax

Yeah - especially considering his status as the best starpilot in the galaxy !

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 10:43 PM
Julie
The Student

True........Luke was supposed to be good too.....and we don't see him making that many kills....perhaps Anakin get his share of kills and fancy flying in EpIII?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 10:45 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, I would assume so. Which brings it back around to Harmax's basic point, that we don't actually see Anakin at his prime for very long!

Which is a shame.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2002 11:14 PM