KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Clonetrooper, Stormtrooper: Tomato, Tom-ah-to

Clonetrooper, Stormtrooper: Tomato, Tom-ah-to
Started by: cornponious

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cornponious
Kuntrious Kokious Maximus

Clonetrooper, Stormtrooper: Tomato, Tom-ah-to

You know what really gets my goat? It's all this "clonetrooper" nonesense. Come on, they're STORMTROOPERS! I don't care if they are clones, they are stormtroopers. We've called them stormtroopers since the 70's. All we know now is how they came to be. Ok, so they're clones, big deal! They are STILL stormtroopers.

Get over the clonetrooper thing. It sounds silly anyway.

cornponious

But then, so does "Count Dooku".

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 04:17 AM
Click here to Send cornponious a Private Message Find more posts by cornponious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

They're Clone Troopers, whether you like it or not. The Stormtroopers in the OT aren't all former Clone Troopers. That's actually what they're called, it's not just a bunch of teenagers messing around on the internet trying to confuse people.

Proof? Check out the SW Ep II Visual Dictionary.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 05:34 AM
Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr.Deflok

While we're at it, what's with this "Anakin Skywalker" nonsense? We all know his name is Darth Vader, Jesus Christ, get over it.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 05:48 AM
Click here to Send Mr.Deflok a Private Message Find more posts by Mr.Deflok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

lucas ruins surpises by confusing characters. in dvd commentaries he interchangably uses clone/storm troopers and also vader/anakin and palpatine/sidious. it's not fair to fans who haven't seen the imperial trilogy

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:42 AM
Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

not fair? so what! the movies been out for more than 20 years. you should have seen them already stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 10:47 AM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

yes

When I was little and the films were newly out sad I thought that they were called storm troopers because they had to stand out in the bad weather... confused

I do know better now though! big grin

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 12:14 PM
Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cornponious

Oh yeah?

quote:
Originally posted by Barf Heaven
They're Clone Troopers, whether you like it or not. The Stormtroopers in the OT aren't all former Clone Troopers. That's actually what they're called, it's not just a bunch of teenagers messing around on the internet trying to confuse people.

Proof? Check out the SW Ep II Visual Dictionary.

It doesn't matter. All stormtroopers are clones. Proof? Check out this link:

http://forums.starwars.com/thread.j...mp;thread=65998

Go to number 3. Never mind, i'll paste it:

George Lucas says in Starlog mag:"Boba [Fett] had a connection to stormtroopers. I sort of built him out of the stormtroopers, and I knew stormstroopers were clones."

And this: "A magazine called The World of Star Wars: a Compendium of Fact and Fantasy from Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back (copyright 1981, with the official Lucasfilm Ltd. mark), had an article about stormtroopers as clones: "Origin. The creation of an Imperial Stormtrooper. A cloned man is one of a group of genetically identical humans, an assembly line product. He is a thinking man, but he serves a specific purpose and no other." A link to a scan of the article can be found here <http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/im...1981clones2.jpg>. This, in and of itself, is not clinching evidence (form your own conclusions), seeing as how it was published in 1981, but it is an official publication from Lucasfilm, and corresponds to a lot of what what we've seen in the movies."

And then this: "The clonetrooper/stormtrooper relationship has been confirmed. From the Databank:

"The titular clone troopers of Episode II were designed to strongly hint at their eventual evolution into the Empire's stormtrooper ranks."

The way I see it, if it looks like a stormtrooper, and it smells like a stormtrooper, it's probably a stormtrooper.

cornponious

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 12:38 PM
Click here to Send cornponious a Private Message Find more posts by cornponious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Thing is, 'Stormtrooper' (with its Nazi link) sounds rather evil by default, and with the fact that the name is evil in mind, GL almost certainly wants to reserve use of that name until the Empire itself is formed., The Clonetroopers are good guys after all, see? Clonetroopers good, stormtroopers bad, hence the distinction in name.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 12:44 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

would it be fair to say that the imperial scout aren't stormtroopers? They seem far too stupid and not organized enough to be genetically mutilated clones

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 05:18 PM
Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bigsef3

"you're a little short for a storm trooper, arent you?" - storm troopers had a distinct height - ALL THE STORMTROOPERS ARE CLONES.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 05:46 PM
Click here to Send bigsef3 a Private Message Find more posts by bigsef3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Err, that does not prove much, many armed forces have a minimum height. Use ANH as an example and you have to ask why they have different voices.

One thing is clear- the officer classes in later times are not clones, unlike with the Clonetroopers.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 05:53 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

you know, MI5 recently made new guidelines, there agents can't be taller than 1m8 if I'm not mistaken
it can perfectly be the same with the clone troopers but than in ...shortness

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:04 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bigsef3

why would you let a clone be an officer? essentially they are grunts, cannon fodder..... Its just like in real wars today. You have the elite go to officer training and you draft a bunch of expendable men to do the dirty work. GL will change the voices in the archival editions. All the stormtroopers will be clones.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:05 PM
Click here to Send bigsef3 a Private Message Find more posts by bigsef3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bigsef3

yers and ush, i acknowledge that in the military there are height requirememnts, but all the storm troopers are THE SAME height. watch the movies, there is bareley a difference b/w any of them. GL was sending a message.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:06 PM
cornponious

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Err, that does not prove much, many armed forces have a minimum height. Use ANH as an example and you have to ask why they have different voices.

One thing is clear- the officer classes in later times are not clones, unlike with the Clonetroopers.

Yet more proof that stormtroopers are clonetroopers:

from the starwars.com forum:

"Both clonetroopers and stormtroopers wear distinctive white armor. In The Art of Episode II, you can see that the clonetrooper armour design is a fusing of Jango Fett's armor and the stormtroopers' armor. There has never been an unmasked, unarmored stormtrooper seen in the movies before, so it is not certain what exactly they look like underneath. The Databank lists the stormtrooper as 1.83 m (hence Leia's comment to Luke in ANH: "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"). --->Note that Boba Fett's adult height, Jango Fett's height, and the height of the clonetroopers are all 1.83 m as well."<---

I think this issue is resolved. Stormtroopers and clonetroopers are one and the same.

cornponious

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 09:03 PM
Spearhead
Prophet

I was wondering...was the Republic's/Empire's orders of clones ever stopped? Because if thats the case, then some regular humans could be mingled with the clones, thus explaining the different voices and apparent imcompetence of the scouts.

I'm a signature!

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 09:05 PM
Click here to Send Spearhead a Private Message Find more posts by Spearhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

please, the visual dictionary and the sw.c databanks are for fun not to proof something

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 09:37 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by cornponious
Yet more proof that stormtroopers are clonetroopers:

from the starwars.com forum:

"Both clonetroopers and stormtroopers wear distinctive white armor. In The Art of Episode II, you can see that the clonetrooper armour design is a fusing of Jango Fett's armor and the stormtroopers' armor. There has never been an unmasked, unarmored stormtrooper seen in the movies before, so it is not certain what exactly they look like underneath. The Databank lists the stormtrooper as 1.83 m (hence Leia's comment to Luke in ANH: "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"). --->Note that Boba Fett's adult height, Jango Fett's height, and the height of the clonetroopers are all 1.83 m as well."<---

I think this issue is resolved. Stormtroopers and clonetroopers are one and the same.

cornponious

I AGREE with you, Corn, I was just saying the height thing has nothing to do with it.

yerss, that is so, but GL's words on this appear to be clear.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 10:03 PM
eleveninches
God of my own world

Maybe the difference between clonetroopers and stormtroopers is who they are clones of.
If the first generation of clone troopers die either due to war casualties or old age (accellerated aging, remember), then maybe the stormtroopers/sandtroopers are the clones of somebody other than Jango.

It is ironic that the empire's strengh depends upon the stormtroopers, but yet when Jango is on board the star destroyer inn episode 5, one of the imperial officers says "Bounty hunters? we don't need that scum here." did he not know that clonetroopers were the clones of a bounty hunter??

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 10:52 PM
Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

/\ I meant that it was Bobba on the star destroyer, not Jango.
sorry

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 10:53 PM
Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote