KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » okay whats with the name Darth?

okay whats with the name Darth?
Started by: Mr Parker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mr Parker

okay whats with the name Darth?

Other than the original star wars trilogy,thats my extensive knowledge of star wars because I have tried to forget the last two star wars movies since I think they are so bad.If it was ever explained in the last two movies,I missed it since I only saw them once each-the original trilogy I have seen those movies countless of times so I know just about everything you can know from the original series.was it ever explained WHY there is more than one DARTH? When Lucas came up with Darth Maul,I have always wondered why are all the villians named Darth? someone please explain that to me.Im sure someone here must know the answer.I dont come to the star wars section that much so sorry if this has already been discussed before.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2004 11:51 PM
Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Reborn Again
I'm HELL's Wrath!

GL said in an interview that Darth is merely Dark with TH at the end replacing the k... as in THX1138, his worse movie. All the Darth's are dark in nature, see where i'm going w/ this? GL has worked in THX1138 into all his movies somewhere. In Star Wars Luke says: "Prisoner transfer from cell block 1138." When he and Hal infilrate the prison conplex to rescue Leia.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2004 12:26 AM
Click here to Send Reborn Again a Private Message Find more posts by Reborn Again Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spearhead
Prophet

Dark Lord of the Sith

It's a title.

I'm a signature!

Old Post Nov 24th, 2004 02:48 AM
Click here to Send Spearhead a Private Message Find more posts by Spearhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

When the Sith order was first founded there were hundreds of them. They fought amongst themselves and were nearly wiped out. The only one who survived was Darth Bane. He created the 'always two there are' rule. All of the Sith that followed took the name 'Darth' as a mark of respect.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 02:25 PM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

That's the EU started.
And to be more accurate, when the Sith were founded there weren't hundreds of them, only one. That was Exar Kun, who became The Dark Lord of the Sith, and first after his death did the hundreds of Siths come.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 02:32 PM
Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

even from the EU perspective, chilled monkey is way off... they already had the name of Darth before and during the life of Bane

Old Post Nov 26th, 2004 01:22 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Agent
Screen Writer

chilled monkey is accurate just not correct.

Anyway haven't you guys seen George Lucas's movie Indiana Jones? Huh huh? well indy was watching starwars and all these dark jedi came in and screamed at him. "indy we need a name to name ourselves or an initial signature please tell us?"
And indy said "How about Darth Blank."
And they said "Thanks" and lived happily ever after.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2004 09:52 PM
Click here to Send Stealth Agent a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Agent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flying Ferret

Darth should never have been a title. It's totally an EU inferrence. Even Obi-Wan's line in ANH seems to indicate that he's saying it as a first name, "You can't win, Darth." So, it's more like, "You can't win, Steve." Because if you substitute with another title, "You can't win, Lord." It just sounds weird.

So, intiatially, before ESB, before EU, Darth Vader was an actual name. Anakin Skywalker really WAS slain by Darth Vader, and Obi-Wan was not a liar. Now, in the prequels, he's not only a liar, but he's also delusional.... "your father was a good man" No, according to the prequels he was a bratty little boy, and grew up to be a stalkerish psycopath before he "turned to evil." "Your father was a great star pilot." No, he drove around in a pod. "When I first met your father, I was amazed at how strong he was with the Force." No, you called him a 'pathetic lifeform' and 'dangerous.' And he wasn't strong with the Force... he just had a lot of Midi-upyer-buttums. "I took it upon myself to train him..." No, you did it out of obligation to your fallen master. "Yoda who trained me..." Gee, did you forget about Qui-Gon? Not only delusional, but afflicted with Alzheimer's, too!

So, I lament the destruction of the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2004 08:15 PM
Click here to Send Flying Ferret a Private Message Find more posts by Flying Ferret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Nefarus
Redi Knight

I've read in several Star Wars comics a buddy of mine has, that Sith's are given the name Darth, for shadow warrior.

Flying Ferret, Obi-Wan is not a liar, he's just telling the story from his point of view.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2004 08:42 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Nefarus a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Nefarus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

Well would you want someone telling you that your father was a peice of shit? I mean its the first time he's heard anything real about him. And the fact that he was the only human who could "pilot" a pod racer, and also did quite a job with the starfighter at the end of the movie. As far as him being amazed about how strong he was with the force...being as how GL intrduced that stupid-ass midicholian crap, and how that makes you strong with the force...."the count is off the chart more than 20,000, more than Master yoda." so i would say he was amazed. But he did take it upon hisself to train him, "without the consent of the council if I must" something around those lines....And lastly, Yoda DID train him....who was Yoda training when OB1 was looking for Kamino?......younglings,..what was OB1 at one time....a youngling!!..YAY!!!....dude, basically it was a way for GL to cover his tracks.

And Nefarus is right as well.....Darth is a title meaning Shadow Warrior...ive heard GL say it as well,...just have to find where...

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2004 10:41 PM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flying Ferret

Flying Ferret, Obi-Wan is not a liar, he's just telling the story from his point of view.

I grow tired of the "certain point of view" sentimentality. It has been bent to the breaking point for me. Lucas has always said the original films were created to instill "moral value," etc., etc. How is it moral to have these shades of gray and half-truths from a man who is suppose exemplify goodness. With the "certain point of view" many things could've been sugar-coated for Luke. "Oh, no Luke, those weren't your aunt and uncle fried to a crisp in front of the house, they were just scarecrows from last halloween... yeah, that's the ticket."

I'm tired of the revisionism and CPOV!! This has corrupted and degraded these films too often and too far. Yeah, sure, if you stand on your head, turn look through your eyelids, I'm sure you COULD see pod-racing as "star-piloting."

SNORT! Right!

And Nefarus is right as well.....Darth is a title meaning Shadow Warrior...ive heard GL say it as well,...just have to find where...

So what. Lucas says lots of things and then contradicts himself. I wouldn't believe a thing comes out of his cake-hole anymore.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2004 11:35 PM
Click here to Send Flying Ferret a Private Message Find more posts by Flying Ferret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt

HE MADE THE MOVIE DIPSHIT!!! IF HE SAYS SOMETHING, THEN THATS IT! Who the hell are you to change HIS vision? So youre saying Anakin never flew a star ship in that movie?? Then i suggest you go back and watch it agian, noob. The CPOV was part of the movie to begin with, so how has it corrupted the movie when that was part of it? And saying his aunt and uncle are burnt scarecrows is a little different than how he explained his fathers "demise". And i think i speak for most people here, we dont want to hear anything out of YOUR cake-hole anymore. If you have so much beef with the movies, THEN DONT WATCH THEM!!!!

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2004 01:22 AM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spearhead
Prophet

quote:
Originally posted by Flying Ferret
Darth should never have been a title. It's totally an EU inferrence. Even Obi-Wan's line in ANH seems to indicate that he's saying it as a first name, "You can't win, Darth." So, it's more like, "You can't win, Steve." Because if you substitute with another title, "You can't win, Lord." It just sounds weird.

if you say, "You can't win, Doctor," does that sound bad? Not really...or else, it really is a first name and everyone's name is Darth no expression

I'm a signature!

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2004 01:41 AM
Click here to Send Spearhead a Private Message Find more posts by Spearhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt

lol, yeah...Darth=Mike laughing laughing laughing laughing

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2004 03:22 AM
Flying Ferret

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
HE MADE THE MOVIE DIPSHIT!!!

I don't think I much like the tone of your voice.

quote:
IF HE SAYS SOMETHING, THEN THATS IT!

Yes, he says what happens in his movies, and that's it, but that doesn't make it like... GOOD!!!

quote:
Who the hell are you to change HIS vision?

I'm not changing his movies. I'm saying I have an imagination, and utilization clues...hints, inferrences and ideas & concepts presented in the original movies should have shaped the films into something rather than what they are.

quote:
So youre saying Anakin never flew a star ship in that movie?? Then i suggest you go back and watch it agian, noob.

My, my, aren't we uppity. I did see this films, and pod-racing doesn't count as a "great star pilot." Hmmm. I didn't see him flying around in space...amongst the stars in that little pod-racer. Did you? Are we watching the same film? And what star-piloting did we see in AOTC? Ooh, he flew around in Padme's pretty little ship some....niiiice.

quote:
The CPOV was part of the movie to begin with, so how has it corrupted the movie when that was part of it? And saying his aunt and uncle are burnt scarecrows is a little different than how he explained his fathers "demise". And i think i speak for most people here, we dont want to hear anything out of YOUR cake-hole anymore. If you have so much beef with the movies, THEN DONT WATCH THEM!!!! [/B]

You are a temptuous little one. And I'll continue to post here. Check your 'tude, bud. Maybe I'll stick around just to see you get all blue in the face.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2004 03:49 AM
Darth Subjekt

Ok, first off i dont give a rats ass if you like my tone. And i didnt know that typing on the computer constitutes as a "voice". What was Anakin flying in the end of TPM? a yellow starship maybe? He also flew a speeder quite well in AOTC. But i guess someone of your immense, infinite wisdom, just couldnt see the whole sequence of him saving OB1 and chasing Zam, huh? So you didnt see him fly that much in the first two prequels,...did you see Vader kill all the remaining Jedi? So, that does that mean it didnt happen? And i dont recall OB1 saying, "he was a great star pilot." he said he was a great pilot...thats it.

And also, im not your bud, i wont "check my 'tude" for you or anyone else for that matter. You, nor anyone else can get me "blue in the face". So dont think you have any kind of significant affect over me or my emotions. Dont give yourself that much credit. All youre going to do by posting such idiotic posts, is turn the people here against you. But since you soooo beyond all of our tedious, insignificant lives, im sure you wont care. And yes i do get "uppity" (***) when people like you, come to a place where real fans of the greatest movies of all time, come to discuss how much we love and admire the MASTERPEICE of which GL bestowed upon us, and dump over it stating that it could have been better with your ideas. If you an make it better, than i say again, go make your own movies and se what people think. Dont try to challenge me. Ep 1 wasnt the greatest, but was ore than essential to the story. And Anakin was a good man up to the point when he changed. He always wanted to help people and just misplaced his feelings and how he handled them.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2004 04:48 AM
Flying Ferret

Ok, first off i dont give a rats ass if you like my tone.

Didn't think you would, but it really sounds like you have one.

And i didnt know that typing on the computer constitutes as a "voice".

How long have you been posting on the web? By now you ought to know that a "tone" or "voice" can be inferred through writing...

What was Anakin flying in the end of TPM? a yellow starship maybe?

"Oops.." "Maybe this..." "Maybe this..." Yeah, sounds real 'great' and 'skilled' to me. Everything he accomplished, he accomplished by accident.

He also flew a speeder quite well in AOTC.

Not a starship.

But i guess someone of your immense, infinite wisdom, just couldnt see the whole sequence of him saving OB1 and chasing Zam, huh?

I saw it. Yawn. I liked it the first time I saw it in "Fifth Element."

So you didnt see him fly that much in the first two prequels,...did you see Vader kill all the remaining Jedi? So, that does that mean it didnt happen? And i dont recall OB1 saying, "he was a great star pilot." he said he was a great pilot...thats it.

He did. Obi-Wan: "He was the best star-pilot in the galaxy..."
As for Vader "killing Jedi" from what rumors I've heard, it sounds like I'll be disappointed there, too.

And also, im not your bud, i wont "check my 'tude" for you or anyone else for that matter. You, nor anyone else can get me "blue in the face".

Sounds like you're already there.

So dont think you have any kind of significant affect over me or my emotions.

Then why do you sound so riled?

All youre going to do by posting such idiotic posts, is turn the people here against you.

You've seem to be the only one who turned against me.

But since you soooo beyond all of our tedious, insignificant lives, im sure you wont care. And yes i do get "uppity" (***) when people like you, come to a place where real fans of the greatest movies of all time

Yep, sounds like I don't affect your 'emotions.'

come to discuss how much we love and admire the MASTERPEICE of which GL bestowed upon us, and dump over it stating that it could have been better with your ideas.

"Bestowed?" Shall I bow down now and lick Lucas feet? You're already headed in the wrong direction if you think Lucas (and any director/actor/writer for that matter) can do no wrong.

If you an make it better, than i say again, go make your own movies and se what people think.

I may not be able to make movies, but there are alternatives...

Dont try to challenge me.

Okay. You're just inviting challenge with a line that.

Ep 1 wasnt the greatest, but was ore than essential to the story.

No, they're not "essential", the Original Trilogy would've been just fine without them.

And Anakin was a good man up to the point when he changed. He always wanted to help people and just misplaced his feelings and how he handled them.

Yes, Annie, from TPM was a good, helpful, kind, courteous, a regular boy scout, but Obi-Wan said, "good MAN" not "good little boy." And, what happened to that little boy? I don't see him anywhere in AOTC.

Last edited by Flying Ferret on Dec 3rd, 2004 at 06:02 AM

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2004 05:58 AM
Prozak
Bad Mother F****r

Sorry Subjekt, but flying ferret is correct to say that Lucas contradicts himself every time he opens his mouth these days. Lucas had the OT as his source material to write these prequels, (forget the EU Lucas only treats the movies as canon), yet he was unable to write prequels that remained faithful, i.e. accurate to the facts, to the movies that inspired them. When questioned about these glaringly obvious MISTAKES he makes no excuses but simply resorts to the old adage that these are his movies and he'll write them as he sees fit, which is the response of an ******* and proof that he doesn't have a clue really.

FF has made his point, clearly and accurately, but you have yet to prove him otherwise. Your only defence is to shout and quote Lucas' favourite excuse about the prequels being HIS movies, like your typical 'real fan'. Well I've got news for you, they aren't just his movies, they're everyones, anyone who's bought a star wars product or contributed to Lucas success. If the man can't handle a little criticism he should stop making movies and if you can't stand a little critique then perhaps you should stop watching 'em too.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2004 10:54 AM
Click here to Send Prozak a Private Message Find more posts by Prozak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flying Ferret

Thank you, Prozak, and from what I've seen, Lucas is the most ungrateful "artist" there ever was. Fans of the OOT pumped all that money into those films, essentially helped him create ILM with their capital, helped create Skywalker ranch, plus much, much, much more. And it seems like he didn't look back to see what it was that got him there. This may be otherwise, Lucas may not be such a lout if I met him in person (but, boy his quotes in interviews sure do paint him otherwise!), but that's not how it appears.

if you say, "You can't win, Doctor," does that sound bad? Not really...or else, it really is a first name and everyone's name is Darth

Oh, it's a title NOW! But, in one of the early drafts Lucas had a character called "General Vader"... first name "Darth." And, he was NOT a Sith, he just led the empire's troops. He was just a second tier character.

So, "Darth" was NOT a title from the beginning. And, Lucas wasn't even using the word Sith (so, no "DARk lord of SiTH"). It was a first name. So, the idea that Lucas "intended" this from the very beginning is total pap. So much like many other ideas which he "intended" from the beginning.

Darth Subjekt

We really got off on the wrong foot. Let me first say, that I could NOT have come up with a lot of ideas which Lucas presents in TPM, and many of them like. My complaint is execution and improper adherence to the first set of movies which he created. It's mystifying to me that he can't get some story concepts straight.

I looked back through your posts, and I'm glad you don't like the midichlorian concept. I'm glad we both can at least agree on that.

Last edited by Flying Ferret on Dec 3rd, 2004 at 02:11 PM

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2004 01:57 PM
Darth Subjekt

Ya kow what? We dont have to agree on this or anything else really. But....as i do, youalso are very much entitled to your opinions and thoughts, and i shouldnt be the one to tell you what you THINK is wrong. I agree and have said from the day i saw TPM, that it wasnt the same "type" of movies as the OT. Theres a lot of things in the movies that do in fact contradict themselves, but the way i look at it is, ya know, its his dream, his vision...ill accept what he puts in front of me.

To me its like going up to Beethoven and telling him he wrote the %th incorrectly, or to change a note here or a note there....although i would prefer different things to happen in SW, it just wouldnt be "star wars" if it were any different. Do you see where Im coming from? And youre right about the "darth" thing...it was once going to be a name, not a title, but now it is a title, as we've seen other people with Darth in their name. SO, with all that said, and as much as i do like to argue, lets just stop and go on from here...both of us.......ok? I dont like, not liking someone. Fair enough?

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2004 04:19 PM