KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » How does R2 loose his flying ability?

How does R2 loose his flying ability?
Started by: Soda

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Soda

How does R2 loose his flying ability?

In the OT u never see him fly, but in PT he flies in AOTC, I think a little in ROTS too (jumping out the ship).

Old Post May 19th, 2005 11:22 PM
Click here to Send Soda a Private Message Find more posts by Soda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Who said he does?

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post May 19th, 2005 11:23 PM
Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pablo G
Coolest Beaner Around

Yeah he hovers in ROTS, he spills oil over the droids and them turns them on fire with his turbines. Umm I don't think he required the ability to fly in the 0T or maybe it's too limited.

"You can get further with a kind word and a gun, than just a kind word" - Al Capone

Old Post May 19th, 2005 11:24 PM
Click here to Send Pablo G a Private Message Find more posts by Pablo G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Texansfan05
Jedi Knight

Maybe R2 want's to hold back his abilities later in life.

sig by Ast

Click here to Send Texansfan05 a Private Message Find more posts by Texansfan05 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lazerlike42
Darth Incompetant

I don't think there were really any situations in the OT where he would need to use this ability. Possibly to get out of the swamp on Dagobah, but then again we never actually see how he gets out, it's only loosely implied that he rolls out.

John 3:16 ^Thanks Ast Rofan^

Click here to Send Lazerlike42 a Private Message Find more posts by Lazerlike42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns
Hate has made me powerful

not to mention that he's serving on the Tantive 4 for the next 20 yrs. I would assume that they were removed for more useful parts he'd need now that he is back to his actual purpose of "astromech" droid and not assistant to a Jedi in a war.

Old Post May 19th, 2005 11:28 PM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Lucas shoves that idea back up his ass for Episodes IV to VI.

Flying R2D2. I still can't accept such stupidity.

Old Post May 19th, 2005 11:29 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

It was rumoured to be that the canisters for his jet packs are no longer available by the time the OT comes around.

Old Post May 19th, 2005 11:31 PM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

R2 D2 never lost that ability. Remenber that Senator Bail Organa orders both droids to have their memory wipe. Therefore R2 cannot use those abilities due to his wipe. Or it could be that during the memory wipe the technician removed those fighting mechanisms.

Old Post May 19th, 2005 11:32 PM
Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WindDancer
R2 D2 never lost that ability. Remenber that Senator Bail Organa orders both droids to have their memory wipe. Therefore R2 cannot use those abilities due to his wipe. Or it could be that during the memory wipe the technician removed those fighting mechanisms.

No, only C-3PO had a memory wipe.

Old Post May 19th, 2005 11:34 PM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns

only c-3po received a memory wipe. He says "Wipe the protocol droid's memory". And even if R2 had, his systems would still know all of its base programing and abilities. He just wouldn't remember people or events. Its like on a computer, you can wipe all of your documents and internet history, but its still gonna know if you have a mouse/keyboard/scanner/printer attached and how to make it work.

Old Post May 19th, 2005 11:37 PM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

"Oh, and have the protocol droid's memory erased."

Exactly. I'm also betting that most of his parts were removed for use on the ship. He is, after all, only a droid.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post May 19th, 2005 11:37 PM
Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns

uhhhh....the protocol droid is Threepio, Artoo is an astromech. And neither of them are ships, so I doubt there parts work in a ship. Do you install pistons into your computer? exactly...

Old Post May 19th, 2005 11:39 PM
kimmeh
vixen

It was said after AOTC that R2's jet packs only have a 20 year lifespan, so without being replaced they would have simply run out of gas by the time of the OT.. also Anakin modified R2 ALOT when he took him as his droid..

Old Post May 19th, 2005 11:51 PM
Click here to Send kimmeh a Private Message Find more posts by kimmeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns

exactly, i'm sure the Tantive 4 crew would require him to be a bit more "stock" since they ONLY need him for astromech jobs...which don't require flying.

Old Post May 20th, 2005 12:04 AM
Red Superfly

Well if he didn't require flying - how could R2 run out of gas if he never uses them?

It doesn't make any sense. No amount of rationalising can justify those stupid jetboots.

Old Post May 20th, 2005 12:10 AM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns

run out of gas....? that's not even canon...

Old Post May 20th, 2005 12:11 AM
Lazerlike42
Darth Incompetant

I'm confused as to where the run out of gas idea comes from confused

John 3:16 ^Thanks Ast Rofan^

Old Post May 20th, 2005 12:12 AM
Click here to Send Lazerlike42 a Private Message Find more posts by Lazerlike42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns

apparently some EU source so it doesn't really matter does it? certainly never read it in any of the books...

Old Post May 20th, 2005 12:13 AM
Red Superfly

I know. I wouldn't even consider those damn rocket packs canon if I hadn't seen them in the movies with my own eyes. I would have dismissed them as some stupid fanboy wet dream, but then again, Episode II was one big fanboy wet dream in general.

Old Post May 20th, 2005 12:14 AM