KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Will the Original cuts of the OT get released?

Will the Original cuts of the OT get released?
Started by: C-3POTheClever

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
C-3POTheClever

Will the Original cuts of the OT get released?

Now that Disney's boughs Lucasfilm, do you reckon we'll get the Original Trilogy released in their 'Original Versions'? A lot of people sseem to think & hope that'll be the case. Do you think it will? Do you want it to be? I persoally hope that they release both versions on the same disk, so people who love the Original versions can watch them & people like me who like the upgrade in special effects can watch the edited editions.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2012 10:35 PM
Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

the OT and PT belong to fox, not lucasfilm.

http://www.slashfilm.com/20th-centu...-set-difficult/

so whether or not they release the classic trilogy will be up to fox

good news: no egos standing in the way anymore.

bad news: george lucas edited the original negatives. so the only way it could be done would either be reverse-editing to get as close to the original as they can, or perhaps using an existing reel, though im not knowledgable enough on that sort of matter to know if its even possible to do that.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Nov 19th, 2012 04:28 AM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

Re: Will the Original cuts of the OT get released?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
Now that Disney's boughs Lucasfilm, do you reckon we'll get the Original Trilogy released in their 'Original Versions'? A lot of people sseem to think & hope that'll be the case. Do you think it will? Do you want it to be? I persoally hope that they release both versions on the same disk, so people who love the Original versions can watch them & people like me who like the upgrade in special effects can watch the edited editions.

I'm not sure if 20th Century Fox is still out of the picture.

Disney owns Marvel studios which made the Avengers and all of those films, and they own the characters now. Yet they were still distributed by Paramount.

Disney basically bought the production company LFL, and the rights of Star Wars, which Lucas got the most out of it. They might still go through Fox. I don't know it's all behind the scenes business, and who gets what. Blow jobs and handshakes

Old Post Nov 20th, 2012 02:49 AM
Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Will the Original cuts of the OT get released?

Originally posted by OB1-adobe
I'm not sure if 20th Century Fox is still out of the picture.

Disney owns Marvel studios which made the Avengers and all of those films, and they own the characters now. Yet they were still distributed by Paramount.

Disney basically bought the production company LFL, and the rights of Star Wars, which Lucas got the most out of it. They might still go through Fox. I don't know it's all behind the scenes business, and who gets what. Blow jobs and handshakes

really?

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

Old Post Nov 20th, 2012 01:02 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

If the OT without all the enhancements get released, the look between the two series will be much more glaring. Just satisfying a vocal minority while a new generation has grown up seeing the PT first, watching The Clone Wars and reading all the EU lit...it wouldn't be good business to do it, now.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Nov 20th, 2012 09:03 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by roughrider
vocal minority

im sure you have evidence to back this claim to be anything beyond a wish.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2012 09:09 PM
C-3POTheClever

If the OT without all the enhancements get released, the look between the two series will be much more glaring. Just satisfying a vocal minority while a new generation has grown up seeing the PT first, watching The Clone Wars and reading all the EU lit...it wouldn't be good business to do it, now.

U so agree on that! I myself really hope that just the original cuts won't get released, for it just wouldn't look right with the PT & possibly even the ST (which isn't out yet). I think it would be a good idea though, to release both versions on one disk so people who love the Original versions & hate the changes can watch them & people who like them can watch the newer versions. But I certainly don't think they should just release the Original cuts. I mean, the PT & the OT is inconsistant enough as it is. It'd be even worse if the OT was left the way it was when it was made.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2012 05:12 PM
Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

so....classic triligy release would be bad because it would make a lot of people happy who want it and would upset fans of the special editions...even though it would not have any impact on the edited versions.

yet somehow its the people who want the CT released who are the irrational whiners.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2012 05:32 PM
darthmaul1

U so agree on that! I myself really hope that just the original cuts won't get released, for it just wouldn't look right with the PT & possibly even the ST (which isn't out yet). I think it would be a good idea though, to release both versions on one disk so people who love the Original versions & hate the changes can watch them & people who like them can watch the newer versions. But I certainly don't think they should just release the Original cuts. I mean, the PT & the OT is inconsistant enough as it is. It'd be even worse if the OT was left the way it was when it was made.

Let's face it, there are things alot of us would keep in the special editions and things we would remove.
I don't know why this day in age they couldn't release a bluray with the option to pick if you want the added scene played or not or the alternate scene played or not for every scene that was added or altered.
for me the effects need to be tweaked a bit. (Lukes saber in bens house)
but i would remove greedo kind of shooting first, remove the whole jabba scene in ep4, put boba's voice back from the original, take vader saying noooo out of jedi, i could go on.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2012 07:32 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by focus4chumps
so....classic triligy release would be bad because it would make a lot of people happy who want it and would upset fans of the special editions...even though it would not have any impact on the edited versions.

yet somehow its the people who want the CT released who are the irrational whiners.

They're the ones who can't get on with their lives, aren't they?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2012 08:32 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

They're the ones who can't get on with their lives, aren't they?

i find it fascinating, the level of immaturity which drives some to belittle people online simply because they would like an original cut of the trilogy made available.

what i find even more fascinating is how said release would somehow ruin their experience of the edited versions.

Last edited by focus4chumps on Nov 21st, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Old Post Nov 21st, 2012 10:00 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Yeah Roughrider, I agree with Focusforchumps...whats the beef with the anti-choice thing..?

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 12:19 AM
Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

"Choice is the enemy of Order and Predictability. To love them is to fear Choice."
---probably nobody.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2012 03:28 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Originally posted by darthmaul1

for me the effects need to be tweaked a bit. (Lukes saber in bens house)
but i would remove greedo kind of shooting first, remove the whole jabba scene in ep4, put boba's voice back from the original, take vader saying noooo out of jedi, i could go on.

I can not for the life of me understand why the lightsaber colours haven't been fixed! I agree that it would be better if Han shot first, I kinda like the Jabba scene, but to me it's always been there, so I'm probably looking at that fro the wrong point of view, Boba Fett's original voice was undoubtably better, but because he's a clone of Jango Fett, he should have the same voice as Jango (although, he was in a different part of the gallexy, so I suppose it's possibe that he wouldn't have the same accent). They most certainly should get rid of the NOOO. That was just such an unnessasery change!

Old Post Nov 29th, 2012 12:03 AM
darthmaul1

I can not for the life of me understand why the lightsaber colours haven't been fixed! I agree that it would be better if Han shot first, I kinda like the Jabba scene, but to me it's always been there, so I'm probably looking at that fro the wrong point of view, Boba Fett's original voice was undoubtably better, but because he's a clone of Jango Fett, he should have the same voice as Jango (although, he was in a different part of the gallexy, so I suppose it's possibe that he wouldn't have the same accent). They most certainly should get rid of the NOOO. That was just such an unnessasery change!

They can add pointless rocks infront of R2 (that no one had a problem with) but they can't truely fix the light sabers.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2012 07:46 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

im sure you have evidence to back this claim to be anything beyond a wish.

The gi-normous box office of the prequels, the huge DVD sales of the Special Edition OT, the record setting sales of the six film set on blu-ray...

I could go on, but I let the numbers speak for me. How many do you think refused to buy into anything regarding the Special Editions and the PT on pure principle?

Old Post Dec 4th, 2012 10:22 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Yeah Roughrider, I agree with Focusforchumps...whats the beef with the anti-choice thing..?

Because they are owned by George Lucas, and if anyone understands anything about what he values most as a filmmaker, it's control over his work. Read his biography Skywalking or watch the documentary about the founding of American Zoetrope (whcih coincided with his debut feature, THX-1138) and you'll hear the horror stories of studio interference, of people taking his films away from him when they didn't even understand them; both THX-1138 and American Graffiti soon after. That's the sort of thing he used his profits and control post Star Wars to get away from forever. To have control over his films and not be dictated to by producers, studio executives, or even fans.

Whatever 'enhanced' version of Star Wars he puts out, it's the one he wants out there, that he will stand by. No one has to buy it if they don't want to. And yet they have.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2012 10:32 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Aye I bought the Blurays myself, along with DVDs, the VHSs, and every other format.

But still.. it'd be awesome to have HD versions mastered from the original trilogy for nostaligia and historic reasons, among others.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Dec 5th, 2012 12:00 AM
Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

The gi-normous box office of the prequels

does not take into account ticket prices. hint: in 1977 the average movie ticket was $2.23, nor was there nearly as much of a foreign box office market. it takes no account to box current office trends. to compare dollars from 1977 to today is ridiculous. the closest anyone has done is adjust box office sales accounting for inflation, in which ep4 blows ep1 out of the water.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

the huge DVD sales of the Special Edition OT, the record setting sales of the six film set on blu-ray...

since the original cut was not offered there was no basis for comparison, and use of words like "huge" and "gi-normous" amount to nothing more than puffery.

I could go on, but I let the numbers speak for me. How many do you think refused to buy into anything regarding the Special Editions and the PT on pure principle?

the numbers do not speak for you.
there are no numbers to reflect the people who would buy classic trilogy blu-rays. your absolutist conclusion (if someone buys the SE blu-ray they are against the release of a classic trilogy) is completely fallacious.

Because they are owned by George Lucas

wrong again. fox owns right to the OT and PT.

Last edited by focus4chumps on Dec 5th, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2012 12:02 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

wrong again. fox owns right to the OT and PT.

I'll let Kevin Spacey say it best, below... big grin

Fox does not own the rights to the Star Wars saga. If they did, they could have made any number of films after ROTJ in 1983 right up until TPM in 1999, and past that. George Lucas owned the rights, and just had a distribution contract with Fox for the films. They could not make a film unless he wanted to. Even before the sale with Disney, he's had The Clone Wars series running for years on a network owned by Warner Bros., not Fox, and they couldn't do anything about it. The only thing that is a hitch in Disney's ownership of Lucasfilm, is Fox has the right to distribute the old films on disc until about 2020, holding up any ultimate collection that includes future films. That's all Fox owns.

And who was getting into comparisons of what the PT grossed versus the OT? Not me. It's known that adjusting for inflation that Gone With The Wind and Star Wars are still No. 1 & 2 all time.

How about getting back to basic math?

The combined amount George Lucas spent on the three PT films - north of $350 million.

The combined worldwide gross of the three PT films - $2.5 billion.

THAT, is evidence of a blockbuster smash films series, my friend. not of a film series that NO ONE likes, as the media and certain fans keep putting it. And they all came back to buy the DVDs in huge numbers, AND again to buy the blu-rays in record numbers.
As far as George Lucas is concerned, if they films weren't popular they wouldn't keep coming back. But they have, and they still do. The perception some cranky fans still put out there after all these years, in no way reflects reality.

Attachment: lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg
This has been downloaded 29 time(s).

Old Post Dec 5th, 2012 04:17 AM