KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Widescreen or fullscreen?

Which is better, widescreen or fullscreen?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Widescreen 19 82.61%
Fullscreen 4 17.39%
Total: 23 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Widescreen or fullscreen?
Started by: JKozzy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Miffed Widescreen or fullscreen?

I'm very picky with my dvd's, this may be a bit off the subject, but I want everyone's opinion, what's better, widescreen (2:35:1, aka the black bars) or the full-screen versions (4:3).... myself, I prefer Widescreen... since it preserves the WHOLE picture, and will come in handy once I can afford a WS HDTV someday... smile wishful thinking...
My dad went and bought Reloaded at Bestbuy, and apparently there's supposed to be a special 30 minute bonus dvd that's exclusive to Bestbuy included.. well it wasn't there, so I was going to watch it and have him go get it.. then I noticed the fatal words at the top... "Full-Screen Version".. I immedietly threw it aside in shock, disgusted that I touched the thing. Yes, I'm quite anal upon my movies. I hate how it cuts out the movie. If the movie were shot in the 4:3 aspect originally, I might not mind as much. However, since I'm losing picture, I get mad. stick out tongue

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 01:35 AM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
priestjim
Grovda

Yes yes! I hate losing pixels! But what you may not know is that the original camera films at 4:3 and they widescreen it and then they cut it again so image how much information you miss!

Last edited by priestjim on Oct 18th, 2003 at 01:56 AM

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 01:44 AM
priestjim is currently offline Click here to Send priestjim a Private Message Find more posts by priestjim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

yes, i am anal about it also...i HAVE to have widescreen...can't stand losing that much of the picture...

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 01:54 AM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Widescreen hands down - Whoever say's Pan-Scan or Fullscreen is better is wrong...seriously. Also, it is not filmed in 4:3 at all, they use wide angle lenses.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 01:56 AM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Yes, full-screen. Too much stuff gets lost otherwise, or you get those peculiar shifts, when the editors have to move the picture from side to side, so the actor isn’t talking to thin air.
But most modern TV sets lets you decide which you want.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 01:58 AM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spydar1982
What Up G?

wide-screen most definitely!

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 02:00 AM
spydar1982 is currently offline Click here to Send spydar1982 a Private Message Find more posts by spydar1982 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

Omega> you mean WIDEscreen, full-screen is the one that pans...

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 02:11 AM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Glad that I have followers out there... heh like my diagram of the Smiths? For all we know, they could have cut out the cookies!!

priestjim> I've seen the cameras, I think it shows the 4:3 shooting range, but it really only records the widescreen; however maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by JKozzy on Oct 18th, 2003 at 02:28 AM

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 02:26 AM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Also, over here in the UK we get both versions in one purchase (if the film has a fullscreen counterpart)

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 02:29 AM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

With all movies? Or just select ones... I have Monsters Inc. in the USA and that's both versions, and Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery is the same... so is Legally Blonde I believe.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 02:44 AM
Sifer

The majority of movies. Even if the film is available in fullscreen and they don't put it on one DVD, they don't release them - it's widescreen or noscreen big grin

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 02:50 AM
SimplePriest

Widescreen period

No substitutions. I had someone buy reloaded for me and then I realized that they had wide and full screen. I was terrified at the idea that my friend might accidentally buy full screen. If he had, I would have definitely sold it to someone else and bought wide screen. No doubt in my mind.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 04:15 AM
SimplePriest is currently offline Click here to Send SimplePriest a Private Message Find more posts by SimplePriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Korri

i agree with Omega fullscreen rules!! big grin

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 10:06 AM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Verity

Widescreen. I always get mine widescreen. Just makes me feel like I'm in a theatre again smile

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 05:07 PM
Verity is currently offline Click here to Send Verity a Private Message Find more posts by Verity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rysdigital
the end has come

widescreen. 16:9 aspect ratio owns joo.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 05:39 PM
rysdigital is currently offline Click here to Send rysdigital a Private Message Find more posts by rysdigital Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rysdigital
the end has come

by the way, 'aka the black bars' -> the point is you don't get the black bars when you view the movie on a widescreen tv.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 08:25 PM
rysdigital is currently offline Click here to Send rysdigital a Private Message Find more posts by rysdigital Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
khalla

definately widescreen

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 08:49 PM
khalla is currently offline Click here to Send khalla a Private Message Find more posts by khalla Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LeAtHerRFace
Founder Of Fight Club

Wide screen is going to be better in the future, because the screens are going to get more distorted.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 09:37 PM
LeAtHerRFace is currently offline Click here to Send LeAtHerRFace a Private Message Find more posts by LeAtHerRFace Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HyperDream
Oh the hugemanitee!

you end up missing literally HALF the movie in full-screen!

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 10:05 PM
HyperDream is currently offline Click here to Send HyperDream a Private Message Find more posts by HyperDream Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

I just mention the black bars since I don't have a widescreen TV rysdigital... I want one thoughsad

Old Post Oct 18th, 2003 10:06 PM