KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » The Merovingian -- Could he have also been "the One"?!

The Merovingian -- Could he have also been "the One"?!
Started by: Metamorphisis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

Shocked The Merovingian -- Could he have also been "the One"?!

This is a post I found on another board that proposes an interesting theory I have not seen here. If it's been posted before I apologize!

------------------------------------------------------

Author Comment
FC
Humans
(5/23/03 7:40 pm)
Reply The Grand Merovingian Theory
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All other characters except for Neo, Trinity, and Merovingian have names pulled from Ancient Greek or Roman mythology. Merovingians are a line of Kings/Rulers who felt they were descended from Christ through Mary Magdelene.

Merovingian is the only other one (besides Neo) who seems to be able to manipulate computer code (the cake). Merovingian is said to have once been much like Neo. Therefore, Merovingian is a previous incarnation of the One. This would also explain why Merovingian holds the Keymaker prisoner (from his previous attempt to fulfill the prophecy). And so on...

Persephone would be the "daughter" of the "mother" of the matrix, since in Greek Mythology Persephone is the daughter of Demeter, who is the classic earth-mother. In mythology, Persephone lives half a year with Hades (whom she has learned to love) and lives the other half a year above ground to be with her mother (whom she also loves). This explains Persephone's divided loyalties and how the Oracle is able to predict her behavior and her willingness to help Neo if he shows up at a certain precise moment. It also explains Persphone's attraction to Neo (who is similar to what Merovingian once was) and why she helps him.

Merovingian gets mad and jealous, of course. That is part of why he is so disdainful of Neo at first, assuming Neo is the new "One" and is acting out a part at direction of the Oracle, though he doesn't understand the "why" of what he is doing. He expects Neo to fail. It also fits in with the Hades character who abducted Persephone in mythology and is jealous of Persephone's shared loyalty between him and her mother, Demeter.

Merovingian, in his anger, makes an attempt to stop Neo's abduction of the Keymaker. When he is unsuccessful, he takes out his anger on the Oracle, destroying her "shell."

"Something feels different..."

Neo must realize he is a program, similar to Merovingian, but existing in both the mainframe and the "real" world at the same time (similar to Agent Smith who is in the Matrix and the "real" world). At the moment Neo has this realization, his mainframe self also realizes it. Knowing this (because he has some precognitive abilities similar to the Oracle), Neo concludes his computer self will stop the Sentinels. He raises his hand at precisely that moment...

...and falls into a coma.

You didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it! You're only here to understand why you made it. I would've thought you'd have figured that out by now.

Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you could not wake from that dream?

Who has the time? But then we can never have time if we never take time!

zorro Who was that masked man?!

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 06:38 PM
Metamorphisis is currently offline Click here to Send Metamorphisis a Private Message Find more posts by Metamorphisis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

i typed up a detailed response then it had an error and i lost it.. so ill go with a simple one cause this has already been debated a lot.. mero isnt the only one can can manipulate code.. hes a programer theres lots of programers, hes also a program!! not a former ONE i garuntee you that..

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 07:19 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

the mero is not a former one, the merovingian is a program, has always been a program, Persephone was married to HADES, not the son of GOD...Mero has "survived [Neo's] predecessors", and he is in the matrix, instead of Zion...the ONE would have returned to ZION to help set up the family, and the defenses and such...so, no, Mero is not a former anomaly, he is a program

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 08:08 PM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

thank you.. and can this end now id be willing to bet anyone any amount of money hes not a former one theres no ****in way

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 08:10 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

Just devils advocate (I obviously wasn't around when this was debated)

Smith wasn't able to manipulate code until after Neo "destroyed" him. The agents ability to replace humans inside the matrix was only a means to seize control over that signal.

We know the Oracle can read computer code, and this is how she know's what Neo's going to do, but has she actually manipulated code? No.

The architect may have programmed the matrix, but we also haven't seen him manipulate code. And the Keymaker is just a program who has the logorithm for producing the keycodes to enter the back doors, but it's not manipulation in any sense.

To be honest, we haven't seen any of the programs manipulate code. Short of Smith (who was destroyed/freed by Neo) and the Merovingian.

Then the Quasi-biblical reference of the Merovingian's name is interesting.

And it's been mentioned in other threads that Neo could die, but his mind may live on in the matrix. Could that not apply to a previous anomaly? Perhaps the Merovingian was the very first anomaly, and he survived through a reverse measure of what Smiddy did. Perhaps he seized control of a program and rewrote his mind's being over it, much the ways Smith did to Bain in Reloaded. So now the Merovingian is nothing but another program, but at one time he and Peresphone were much like Neo and Trinity - now they are just rouge programs who are only there to live with power - shells of their former selves. As the Oracle said, he is a program, and one of the oldest, but maybe a version behind the matrix?

Again, I don't know what you all debated. stick out tongue I just thought it to be an interesting take on the situation and wanted to share if it hadn't already been! I know my explination would make a lot of assumptions of the other anomalies in previous versions, so I do not post this as anything else than to entertain!

Feel free to throw in your two cents. Or we can close...

You didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it! You're only here to understand why you made it. I would've thought you'd have figured that out by now.

Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you could not wake from that dream?

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 08:12 PM
Metamorphisis is currently offline Click here to Send Metamorphisis a Private Message Find more posts by Metamorphisis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

why WOULD the previous one NOT tell Neo if he knew what was going to happen? it makes no logical sense...if i were a previous one, i would WANT the humans to survive, to win, thus, i would not live the high life in the matrix and keep the cycle going...

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 08:25 PM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

"What do all men with power want? More power..." He is not human anymore - if the theory is correct. You are thinking from the other side of the problem. Perhaps he was a greedy corprate scowndral when he discovered that he was inside the matrix, and, much like Cypher, did not look forward to a life in the real world where he had to follow a chain of command, live in a poverty of sorts, and not be able to control things himself. But, inside the matrix, he was god like. Why wouldn't that appeal to a greedy SOB?! Why would Cypher want to kill his crew-mates and be reinserted into the matrix? Because they're lazy, hopeless, greedy, only thinking of themselves.

So once the Merovingian took over a program like Smith took over Bain, his body would be dead, but his mind would live on. After centuries he would likely have been very altered by the process and now his only connection with who he once was is purely system access and control, but mentally he would not want the matrix to end because it would mean the end of him. Which is all he cares about.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 08:32 PM
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

understandable, however, he acts as if he has never seen a human use the kind of powers Neo has, but that he knows it is possible..."Alright, you have some skill"

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 08:35 PM
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

Isn't it possible that he knows it's possible because he once had it, and the only reason he didn't expect Neo to have that skill yet was because he thought it may have taken more time for Neo to develope that skill?

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 08:42 PM
The Unknown
Anomaly

quote:
Originally posted by JediHDM
why WOULD the previous one NOT tell Neo if he knew what was going to happen? it makes no logical sense...if i were a previous one, i would WANT the humans to survive, to win, thus, i would not live the high life in the matrix and keep the cycle going...

The Matrix is the Merovingian's home now. If the Matrix is shut down, then he dies. He wouldn't want to help Neo, because if Neo knew he was just another anomaly, he wouldn't go to the architect, and thus, the Matrix wouldn't be rebooted.

"The MTV Movie Awards are a systemic anomaly inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Although the transport process has altered your consciousness, you irrevocably remain human. Ergo, concordantly, vis-a-vis... You know what? I have no idea what the hell I'm saying. I just thought it would make me sound cool."
-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 10:14 PM
The Unknown is currently offline Click here to Send The Unknown a Private Message Find more posts by The Unknown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Verity

Mero was never a ONE....This came up only because of what Persephone said..."he used to be like u"...That only means the f*#$ker used to feel! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 10:16 PM
Verity is currently offline Click here to Send Verity a Private Message Find more posts by Verity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

Verity

Wrong. That's not why I brought this up. I found a post that refers to something else

quote:
All other characters except for Neo, Trinity, and Merovingian have names pulled from Ancient Greek or Roman mythology. Merovingians are a line of Kings/Rulers who felt they were descended from Christ through Mary Magdelene.

Read my first post on this thread for the full post off of another board.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 10:25 PM
Verity

quote:
Originally posted by Metamorphisis
[b]Wrong. That's not why I brought this up. I found a post that refers to something else.

Another stupid reason??...

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 10:29 PM
Verity is currently offline Click here to Send Verity a Private Message Find more posts by Verity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

Stupid reason? The story is full of quasi-biblical references!! Neo has been refered to has Jesus and his reserrection, along with many other analogies...

I think that it makes a lot of sense, but we have to make assumptions on all the previous versions of the matrix - assumptions that we cannot know, and probably never will.

In discussion with Kozzy earlier, we kinda concluded that, though complicated, it would be possible for Neo, or any of the anomalies, to copy themself, and perhaps others (like Trinity?) over a machine's program inorder to live forever with power and control over a system.

It is nothing more than an entertaining, and interesting concept to ponder. I don't see anything stupid about connecting references...

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 11:01 PM
The Unknown
Anomaly

And since Persephone did say that the Merovingian used to be like Neo, and the WB say there are many twists, it could be true.

"The MTV Movie Awards are a systemic anomaly inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Although the transport process has altered your consciousness, you irrevocably remain human. Ergo, concordantly, vis-a-vis... You know what? I have no idea what the hell I'm saying. I just thought it would make me sound cool."
-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 11:06 PM
The Unknown is currently offline Click here to Send The Unknown a Private Message Find more posts by The Unknown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Verity

Meta> what does any of what u said have to do w my question about Persephone?? erm

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 11:14 PM
The Unknown
Anomaly

I wasn't answering your question about Persephone, I was adding onto what Metamorphisis said...

-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 11:17 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Nope, simply does not scan, goes against all said and would be a pointless plot development. Take it as read- he is an old programme and no 'more' (in commas ibecause there is nothing intrinsically inferior about being an AI programme), very different to Neo.

And I see no reason to not believe that powerfrul programmes cannot write programmes in the Matrix themselves- it is no different to Operators loading stuff into the Matrix. That is not even remotely like Neo's abilities.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 11:21 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Also:

"All other characters except for Neo, Trinity, and Merovingian have names pulled from Ancient Greek or Roman mythology"

(and I understand you are just reporting this, not saying it)

All MAJOR characters that is. Oh, except THREE of them, two of them being two of the three most important.

Many of the other characters have names not even remotely derived from Roman or Greek.

So that postulation is poor.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 11:25 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

Verity

Your comment was that this only came up because of what Persophone said, when I commented that this was not why I brought it you you said:

quote:
Another stupid reason??...

So I replied to that -- saying I didn't think my reason was a stupid insight.

Ushgarak

My first post is a cut and paste off of another board I thought was interesting. I'm sure if you take it further it could be put together much better.

Admittedly it would take a lot of assumptions about previous matrix versions - but it is possible. That said, I don't think it's probable. It would give the movie a whole other dimension that would lead to other movies wouldn't it? Hmmm or maybe that's the whole point?

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 11:53 PM