KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » What is real?

What is real?
Started by: The Omega

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Omega
Z10N0101

What is real?

Ah, late Saturday night. What better time to get philosophical.

So let’s see how each of you would answer Morpheus’ question. How do you KNOW that the world is real?

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 01:54 AM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

ill be a ***** and answer with a question lol

would it really matter or change my life in anyway if i did or did not know it was?

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 02:00 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Forumcrew> laughing
So you’d prefer the blue pill?

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 02:09 AM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

well i didnt mean in terms of really having a matrix exsist i mean more along the lines of i cant prove that the earth is real or not.. but it doesnt matter that i cant..

now if i could or could not.. i would care.. if take the red pill

but to simply answer your question... I dont know that it is or isnt

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 02:13 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Forumcrew> big grin
Well, that’s the point of my question. You’re fundamentally right. We have no WAY of knowing that this (points in various directions) is real. But why do you THINK that it is real?

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 02:25 AM
neo2

if the world was fake, a good majority of the world would've figured it out by now....then we would all be free minds

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 05:17 AM
neo2 is currently offline Click here to Send neo2 a Private Message Find more posts by neo2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GangusGrievous
4 armed Wonder

if i had a choice and i knew it was fake, i would try to get out. Now if i knew wut was going on in the real world, i may reconsider. If i was the one, there's no question i would get out and fulfill my fatethumb up

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 05:20 AM
GangusGrievous is currently offline Click here to Send GangusGrievous a Private Message Find more posts by GangusGrievous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

Omega

I would answer as follows:

I can only ascertain the existence of the world I know through my own individualistic experiences. So, while I may never know THE truth, I know MY truth. Until a teacher comes to show me a knew manner of which to gain experience I have no choice but to accept what I see and judge it upon my own experiences.

Neo2

If the world was a false reality like the Matrix - just how would half the world realize it's fake exactly?! That's the whole paradox of this situation - it would not be possible.

You didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it! You're only here to understand why you made it. I would've thought you'd have figured that out by now.

Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you could not wake from that dream?

Who has the time? But then we can never have time if we never take time!

zorro Who was that masked man?!

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 07:08 AM
Metamorphisis is currently offline Click here to Send Metamorphisis a Private Message Find more posts by Metamorphisis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GangusGrievous
4 armed Wonder

someone could jack in and tell the important people and get them outthumb up

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 07:26 AM
GangusGrievous is currently offline Click here to Send GangusGrievous a Private Message Find more posts by GangusGrievous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

AliasNeo15

LlaughingL Yeah, but who's to say that there really is somebody outside of this false reality if it really is a false reality? Also, who's to say that it's a computer program that we are plugged into? Hence the problem. We don't know anything for sure.

You didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it! You're only here to understand why you made it. I would've thought you'd have figured that out by now.

Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you could not wake from that dream?

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 07:38 PM
Metamorphisis is currently offline Click here to Send Metamorphisis a Private Message Find more posts by Metamorphisis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
neo2

well, i said that assuming that people in that fake reality had seen The Matrix and tried to figure out if that's what was really happening, then they would put two and two together, but u know, I have no idea what I'm talking about so if you don't understand this reply, disregard it....

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 10:50 PM
neo2 is currently offline Click here to Send neo2 a Private Message Find more posts by neo2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GangusGrievous
4 armed Wonder

quote:
Originally posted by Metamorphisis
AliasNeo15

LlaughingL Yeah, but who's to say that there really is somebody outside of this false reality if it really is a false reality? Also, who's to say that it's a computer program that we are plugged into? Hence the problem. We don't know anything for sure.
well, wut can i say. if i somone actually came up to me and gave me the info, id prolly think they were insanelaughing out loud

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 11:24 PM
eleveninches
God of my own world

A quote that I adopted a while back:
PERCEPTION IS REALITY!!!

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 11:28 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

Psssst...AliasNeo15 - you're living in a dream world while your body is held in a miniature fusion reactor feeding man made machines with electricity to live.... big grin

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 01:01 AM
forumcrew

because i can tuch it and its all that makes sense.. but i dont know its real maybe when i dream i just step into the real reality.. either way this is the world i live in so i accept it whetever i belive in it or not

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 03:59 AM
Mordecai
I am the way.

It all comes back to belief, its only as real as you make it, my dreams are real, even though they technically hold no physical existence, ofcourse for something to be real, it doesn't have to exist physically, but you should get my jist, whats real all comes back to belief (true belief) which all comes back to the sub-conscious which comes back to suggestion, everything exists within you.

and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it,
to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!" - Mario Savio

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 04:31 AM
Mordecai is currently offline Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metamorphisis
Mr Wizard

Simplistically:

Reality is the perception of self through experience, meditation, and understanding. You make your reality.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 09:17 AM
Mordecai
I am the way.

Exactly.

and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it,
to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!" - Mario Savio

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 10:03 AM
Mordecai is currently offline Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Alpha
anomaly

Well it is nearly impossible to give a 100% accurate definition of "Real". Everyone will have his own opinions but I hold with meta's saying,

"Reality is the perception of self through experience, meditation, and understanding. You make your reality."

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 05:35 AM
The Alpha is currently offline Find more posts by The Alpha Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

according to René Descartes, the only thing that we can know for sure is that we exist....I can be sure only of me...not anyone else....also known as "Cogito ergo sum" or "i think therfore i am" This relates to the epistomology section of philosophy (for all that dont know.....epistomology is the study of the first questions like how do we know what we know?)...so thats my (and Descartes) thoughts on that...

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Mar 10th, 2004 08:46 PM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote