KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » -=- Self Destructive DVDs -=-

-=- Self Destructive DVDs -=-
Started by: Koala MeatPie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

-=- Self Destructive DVDs -=-

This has Been a debate that has been going on for years.

The Label Companies Want to make DVDs that auto-destroy themselves after only one use.

Reasons why:

Rentals, no need to retunr

Anti-Piracy

This has been going on for years, they keep on suggesting it, making prototypes, then it gets shot down.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20060227/135244_F.shtml

Old Post Feb 28th, 2006 02:02 AM
Koala MeatPie is currently offline Click here to Send Koala MeatPie a Private Message Find more posts by Koala MeatPie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

As the article said, is returning your movie really so hard to do? With Netflix and the like, you don't even have to leave your house to return the damn movie. Simply throwing the DVD away doesn't add much convenience.

Let's look at it from Netflix's point of view. They have to keep up their supply of DVDs, since they can't get some support from returns. That would cost video rentals a great deal more money and it's just not worth it to them.

The article said that a DVD would have an expiration date. However, as you say, if it self destructs after one use, what's to stop me from burning a billion copies of it before watching it? Something like this will not help the piracy issue.

And Disney planning on selling these?! That's typical of them but obviously, that would drop sales 99.9999%. Who wants to buy a DVD that's only good for a month?

Old Post Feb 28th, 2006 02:51 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

This has been bounced around for years. It's about as bad as McDonalds red box rentals.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2006 03:28 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightningrod
gay o' time

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Wolfie
That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

As the article said, is returning your movie really so hard to do? With Netflix and the like, you don't even have to leave your house to return the damn movie. Simply throwing the DVD away doesn't add much convenience.

Let's look at it from Netflix's point of view. They have to keep up their supply of DVDs, since they can't get some support from returns. That would cost video rentals a great deal more money and it's just not worth it to them.

The article said that a DVD would have an expiration date. However, as you say, if it self destructs after one use, what's to stop me from burning a billion copies of it before watching it? Something like this will not help the piracy issue.

And Disney planning on selling these?! That's typical of them but obviously, that would drop sales 99.9999%. Who wants to buy a DVD that's only good for a month?

Disney has money stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 28th, 2006 04:29 AM
Lightningrod is currently offline Click here to Send Lightningrod a Private Message Find more posts by Lightningrod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

What morons.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2006 07:06 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

waste of materials and money trying to do that, the company buys one dvd to rent out and its rented 40 times. the company make their money and its still available for rent. they buy a one use disk and they have to pay for it 40 times. how could the make money?

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Feb 28th, 2006 09:57 PM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kram3r

It is one of the most unmarketable, pointless & stupidest ideas I have heard.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2006 05:25 AM
Kram3r is currently offline Click here to Send Kram3r a Private Message Find more posts by Kram3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Buckaroo

They did this with a christmas movie called Noel. The dvd was released while the movie was out in theaters. And the disc only lasted 48 hours after you open it. As far as self destructing goes, I just know they become unplayable. But if this were to become a norm on Bizarro world or something, then they would build a lot of waste, non?

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 12:01 AM
Buckaroo is currently offline Click here to Send Buckaroo a Private Message Find more posts by Buckaroo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Joker1237

Yeah pretty dumb lol.

I mean if the DVD's become unplayble after some used, How can they make money??

The rental will END up buying MORE DVDs to replace the unplayble DVDs, and when they become unplayble, They will end up SPENDED MORE money to buy More DVDs. So instand of a DVD lasted ten years, and SAVING the place money. They have to buy a new DVD like evey month. And thats a waste of money, Time, and I guess manpower.

Have a laugh evey now and than.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 11:38 PM
Joker1237 is currently offline Click here to Send Joker1237 a Private Message Find more posts by Joker1237 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
systemshock2

The plan could work if they stopped pricing them at such ridiculous prices. I saw several of them when they were out at a grocery store, and they were marked at $6.99 to $7.99 a piece. That's almost twice as much as the average digital cable movie order. And it has to be longer than the two days that I saw at the store. Make it around a week and people will be more flexible with the idea. I can see where they're going with this. Just like disposable cameras, if you make it convenient enough for people it'll slowly pick up speed and fly. But the prices have got to drop to about $.99 to $1.99 and such.

Best rivalry ever!

Old Post Mar 28th, 2006 09:55 PM
systemshock2 is currently offline Click here to Send systemshock2 a Private Message Find more posts by systemshock2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jenzie
you know my name .....

POINTLESS

You can't deny the prize it may never fulfill you
It longs to kill you
Are you willing to die?

Old Post Mar 28th, 2006 09:59 PM
jenzie is currently offline Click here to Send jenzie a Private Message Find more posts by jenzie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by systemshock2
The plan could work if they stopped pricing them at such ridiculous prices. I saw several of them when they were out at a grocery store, and they were marked at $6.99 to $7.99 a piece. That's almost twice as much as the average digital cable movie order. And it has to be longer than the two days that I saw at the store. Make it around a week and people will be more flexible with the idea. I can see where they're going with this. Just like disposable cameras, if you make it convenient enough for people it'll slowly pick up speed and fly. But the prices have got to drop to about $.99 to $1.99 and such.

But you don't buy a disposable camera to enjoy it. You buy it to enjoy the pictures.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2006 12:55 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote