KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Star wars morality

Star wars morality
Started by: yerssot

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
yerssot

Star wars morality

Is this better Ush? You can reply first, but don't close it please

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 05:33 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

Yo, please explain what you are talking about. Thanks.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 05:35 PM
Click here to Send jedi212guy a Private Message Find more posts by jedi212guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok, here's the thung (spun off from the old Greedo topic):

We have two basic contentious issues:

1. The morality of Star Wars. Some people have tried to talk about the grey areas the Revels live in- defying law, killing for what they beleive in, and so on. My counterpoint is that GL constructed this universe withg a very simple morality mostly based on old westerns, where good guys and bad guys were clearly divded (white hats, black hats). The good guys only ever did good and the bad guys only ever did bad.

So it is with Star Wars, where this simple moral structure is provided where you are not meant to question the motives and morals ofmthe good guys- the film is simply not that advanced. It;s for kids, after all.

The exception to the 'no grey areas' rule are the Skywalkers, which is why their plot is the central omne.

I posted some quotes in my support, I can repeat them if necessary but that argument seemed to end there.

2. Focusing more on the Jedi and Battle Droids. This started as a discussion as to whether Battle Droids could really be considered 'alive' or not, general consensus is no (one of the reasons GL used them as an enemy in the PT; things you can 'kill' wiothout remorse'

However, Yerssot extended this point to say that while they may not be alive, they seem similar enough to humanoids to have to involve some degree of aggressiveness or killer instinct if you attack and destroy them for a reasons other than self-defence. By extension, if you are so willing to kill battle droids, it will become somewhat easier for you to kill humans should you ever be faced with the chance to do so.

I disagreed; I made out that as battle droids are so clearly non-sentient then destroying one is no more likely to affect your mental attitude to violence than would smashing a toaster- regardless of how human they LOOK, if you knew they were not really alive there would be no problem.

And doubly so for the Jedi, who have a good and clear idea about right and wrong and what is and isn't alive.

Which brings us back to the original point; as 'white hats', the Jedi are good guys and their intentions are not meant to be questioned by the viewer.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 05:47 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

Agreed, but clonetroopers would be another matter entirely.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 05:50 PM
Click here to Send jedi212guy a Private Message Find more posts by jedi212guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

I agree with Ush. If you watch TPM then you'll see the smaller droids going around and picking up the parts of the "dead" battledroids. Obviously they are going to be remade so they aren't thought of as alive.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 06:56 PM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

. If you watch TPM then you'll see the smaller droids going around and picking up the parts of the "dead" battledroids. Obviously they are going to be remade so they aren't thought of as alive.

You can consider that with cloning also: a guy died and they take a living cell and they clone him so there is another guy looking the same. So you can say that the 'original' are not considered alive.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 08:52 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oooh, now, bringing cloning into the whole thing is REAL painful...

However, I would say that making fresh clones using cells from dead people would be creating new life rather than re-activating old.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 09:04 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

ok, I will stop about the clones because the original thing went about droids and not clones.

With that I just wanted to show that you can bring that also back in human-actions

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 09:06 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh, feel free to use clones; this has turned into a general subject now. Just that theire is always a dangeorus moral undercurrent with the whole cloning issue that makes for tricky discussion.

It would still be a brand-new clone, is the point. As opposed to the robot, which is rebuilt.

Not that we have much idea yet what Star Wars clones are like, which makes discussion of them difficult.

Now, of course, C3-P0 can be re-built, and is presented as fully sentient. But it;s not the body that is important, it is the brain (or whatever equivalent C3-P0 has). Droid bodies can be re-built, but I would guess brains are far more difficult.

If you can re-build the damaged memories of a droid, have you brought it 'back' to life? Or have you merely vreated a new life with the same memories? Who knows? There is no way to tell.

Still, this isn't really the sort of complex issue that Star Wars tends to get into.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 09:15 PM
yerssot

It would still be a brand-new clone, is the point. As opposed to the robot, which is rebuilt.

???Why is a clone brand-new? It is just like a robot: rebuilded from something of the original owner

Now, of course, C3-P0 can be re-built
We only saw him in pieces with a working head, so that is not actual rebuilding, that is putting the pieces back togather, like giving a false arm with humans

I don't think that the memories will pass on, so it is an entire new creature.

Still, this isn't really the sort of complex issue that Star Wars tends to get into.
Yekyek evil face we move boundrys

I think that we aren't following the real reason why this tread openend, but it is still correct accourding to the title.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 09:27 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I think we are ok with opening it up a bit.

The principle of using organic material to grow clones is very different from the principle of recycling robotic parts, but never mind, that line isn't getting us anywhere.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 10:00 PM
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

However, are the clones raised like normal people? I don't think so. They are raised for one purpose: to be the Republic's shocktroops. Is one different from another? Do the clones hang out after work is over? I don't know about that... well, there is one ANH example "Have you seen that new speeder?'
"Ah yes, it's quite nice."

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 11:14 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Err... not sure what you mean by that example...

We have no idea on the true purpose, make-up, individuality or longevity of the clonea as of yet.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 6th, 2001 11:16 PM
yerssot

Let's take an example: Sparta;
for the non-european guys: Sparta was (is) a Greek city, that was at war with Athens during the Greek-Roman erea; they had a hard life: they based their society on war: little boys ware trained very hard and they had no sparetime;
so you can say that they aren't raised like 'normal' persons just like battledroids

Old Post Aug 7th, 2001 11:19 AM
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

My example was just showing that the stortroopers talked about other stuff than being soldiers. t was like two guys talking about some cool car, or something. This would make them more human, I think.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2001 01:48 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Spartans weren't remotely like Battledroids. They were sentient. They were also interested in a full range of human values; just because they weren't as art-obsessed as the Athenians doesn't mean they were any less human than the next man along.

Battledroids are single function machines.

Jedi212- your assumtpion there is that Stormtroopers are cloned. We have no proof of this.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 7th, 2001 05:08 PM
finti

But the stormtroopers do discuss "human" things. In ANH when Obi-Wan turns off the tractor beam the stormtrooper discuss whats going on before changing the subject towards some new model that have been made. Then again the stormtroopers discussion are somewhat limited throug the SW saga.

Personally I dont belive the stormtroopers are clones, I think they are subscripted, enlisted into the service of the Empire. Further I belive the clone wars was to settle the cloning question once and for all, and I think the jedis were victorius in the end. The war took its tall on the jedi`s though, this way Palpatine could declear himself emperor without too much challange towards his declaration. The jedis where still licking their wounds and Palpatine probably had a lot of support througout the senate, because they belived he would restore the Republic to the glory of the" good ol`days". Maybe the jedi`s had faith in him as well as a strong chancellor that would end the turmoil in the galaxy.

Just some of my thoughts about certain aspects of the SW saga.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2001 07:53 PM
Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I agree, on the whole.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 7th, 2001 08:10 PM
sand person no. 10
where are the other nine

i just want to change the angle of this slightly, vader was dressed in black for obvious reasons, however the storm troopers were dressed in white, admittedly they had a black backdress, Luke was dressed in black also, therefore the whole thing about black and white hats falls apart, was there not some confussion when lucas first showed the film company his film because they at first couldn't work out who the bad guys were.

btw i hope the clones get their arses kicked and i hope that italien doctor who is trying to clone a human watches the film when the clones mess up and get killed by the jedi.

if you clone a cell of someone, does the memory of that peron cross over to the clone?

people shouldn't play GOD, they should only be GOD.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2001 12:01 AM
Click here to Send sand person no. 10 a Private Message Find more posts by sand person no. 10 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

White Hats/Black HAtrs is just a metaphor, it's not literal! In Star Wars the clear morality division is the Force, not costume. I hope I don;t have to prove the Western thing again...

The Luke wearing black thing is different, though., As I pointed out, the one greay area is the Skywalkers, wehich is why they are the main plot. Luke's black gear was meant to make him look a little more mean.

Like I said before, cloning is a very complex ethical issue; best skipped for the films, I guess.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 8th, 2001 12:08 AM