KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Anakin in Ep 1....naughty or nice

Anakin in Ep 1....naughty or nice
Started by: Angelus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Angelus

Anakin in Ep 1....naughty or nice

Just be interested to hear what everyone thinks about this...
The first few times I watched Ep 1 I liked everyone, including Jar Jar and Anakin....but I found that as I watched it more Anakin really started to get on my nerves....
At the time I put it down to the fact that I didn't like Jake Lloyds acting style, or that maybe his lines were too corny, but after watching the dvd again this weekend i've changed my mind,....

Maybe the reason anakin bugs me, and so many star wars fans, is that we aren't really meant to like him....
Sure he might seem a nice enough kid and his mum says he gives without any thought of reward, etc,etc....but there is a far less likeable side to his character...
He is arrogant....always trying to prove himself better than those around him....my pod is better.....my driving skills are better....etc,etc,etc.... He is far from the selfless, humble jedi image that we might see in Qui Gon, or Obi Wan...
Maybe we are bugged by him, because it is natural to be bugged by anyone that talks themselves up just a bit too much?
Sure he is only a kid, and sure we feel sorry for him that he leaves his mum....but does this change anything?
What do people think?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2001 12:48 AM
Click here to Send Angelus a Private Message Find more posts by Angelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Brith

This is an interesting point of view for me as I've always felt that Anakin was too nice and that should be more of an edge to him.

His arrogance is a fair point but I thought it was just part of a kind of rogue-like charm of his - much like Han from the original three. Mind you, I never thought it came off as well as it did on Han..

Brith thinks again....

Old Post Oct 28th, 2001 01:08 AM
Click here to Send Brith a Private Message Find more posts by Brith Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Angelus

I think you are right that he can come across as too nice at times, but it is pretty selective. He respects the jedi, and is good to his mother... Like Palpatine, his overconfidence is his weakness. He throws himself recklessly into situations eg pod racing, fight with sebulba, and the space battle at the end....Whilst we accept this because he is fighting the good fight, how much of it is a desire to be the hero....sure his motives are good now, so him being the hero is fine, but what will happen in Ep2 when those motives start to stray.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2001 05:51 AM
Click here to Send Angelus a Private Message Find more posts by Angelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

I agree with both of you. There was a lot more to Anakin in TPM than just "a good kid". He was always trying to prove himself to everyone and was really cocky. But in TPM like Qui-Gon said "he gives without any thought of reward". But how long will that last?

In the next two films he is going to try and prove himself even more and when he isn't rewarded your going to see how he's changed, for the worst.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2001 03:43 PM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

He's the typical brash kid- worse, a brash kid who really IS talented. He'd probably wind me up in real life as well, but it;s difficult to hate him in the end

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 28th, 2001 03:46 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

He's very agressive.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 30th, 2001 05:38 AM
Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

You people are all bonkers! Anakin is a darling angle in EP1. Stopping to talk to that old wrinkled prune, letting strangers into his decrepid hut, and putting his life on the line many times to help the Jedi. Then on the DVD outakes, it shows his saying bye to that dried up witch looking old woman. He's a nice kid, and JL acting wasn't good enough to give me the impression that he has theis deep evil side roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 30th, 2001 03:54 PM
Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

No one is sating he did. Of course he was a good kid. Which is what he was meant to be.
What we were saying is that he is TOO nice and TOO eager. In TPM he doesn't expect any reward for this but when he's older he will.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2001 05:06 PM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

He just needs a good hard spanking smokin'

Old Post Oct 30th, 2001 09:40 PM
Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

are you an angel man that Lloyd dude annoyed almost as much as Goofy(Jar Jar)

Old Post Oct 30th, 2001 09:57 PM
Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

me too!!! and that 'but I', to QuiGon, really annoying roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 30th, 2001 10:01 PM
finti

As for the topic Anakin was nice, just the perfect little lad.
Why'? Cause Jack`o `boy dont have the ability to act otherwise
"This is tense" blahhhhhh

Old Post Oct 31st, 2001 07:46 AM
Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

I feel sorry for you guys. roll eyes (sarcastic) sad

Old Post Oct 31st, 2001 06:25 PM
finti

Why cause we can spot a lousy actor?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2001 07:07 PM
KJ
Sausages

No. Because you feel the need to constantly criticise a 9 year old boy.

And if it's not that then you are slating a CGI comic character. Something that doesn't even exist. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 31st, 2001 07:38 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Hey, he's an actor, he stepped up on the plate; he's as valid a target for criticism as any public figure.

Not that *I* criticise him, but nor would I shield him from it.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 31st, 2001 07:59 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

GL should of picked that scruffy looking Luke Skywalker look alike kid, as seen on the DVD. Or anyone else for that matter! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 31st, 2001 08:21 PM
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

that's bull. lloyd is a perfectly good actor. i've not seen any better than him in USA(other than osment), and he did a good job in TPM, he did just what he was ment to do.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2001 09:04 PM
Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Pinocchio wouldn't have been half as wooden as JL, if he had gotten the part roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 31st, 2001 09:44 PM
Ratcat

This is supposed to be about the character, NOT the actor. If this is just gonna turn into a Jake Lloyd bashing session then it can be closed down. mad

Old Post Oct 31st, 2001 10:36 PM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote