KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Why sequels to the OT would be bad

Why sequels to the OT would be bad
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

Why sequels to the OT would be bad

I saw a recent Yahoo article in passing. Again, it was criticizing George Lucas for what happened in the PT (God, what a dead horse to flog), and saying he should have made sequels instead. Why didn't he?

This is why:

http://www.cracked.com/article/167_...-than-prequels/

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 5th, 2010 10:09 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

hmm, good point on how its would have made star wars even worse making sequals. Whats the point of EU but to repeat things over and over. Darkness takes over, eventually good comes back, then darkness again, and so forth

Old Post May 7th, 2010 04:51 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

I know, I'm stick and tired of the PT stuff too roughrider. People have to start moving passed the fact that these movies weren't what they were expecting, instead of thinking they were bad films. I don't know why people bash the PT as a whole either after ROTS. The last 3rd of the PT was pure greatness, while the last third of the OT wasn't all too spiffy to be honest.

I just don't get why most SW fans out there are too focused on trashing the PT because they were different, rather than also acknowledging the fact that the OT wasn't perfect either. Better acting, better dialogue? Sure. Myself, I find myself having more fun with the PT. Sure, they aren't as strong story wise, but I don't care. It's campy fun and that's why I love them.

Oh well.

I like George.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 05:53 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sith Master X
I know, I'm stick and tired of the PT stuff too roughrider. People have to start moving passed the fact that these movies weren't what they were expecting, instead of thinking they were bad films. I don't know why people bash the PT as a whole either after ROTS. The last 3rd of the PT was pure greatness, while the last third of the OT wasn't all too spiffy to be honest.

I just don't get why most SW fans out there are too focused on trashing the PT because they were different, rather than also acknowledging the fact that the OT wasn't perfect either. Better acting, better dialogue? Sure. Myself, I find myself having more fun with the PT. Sure, they aren't as strong story wise, but I don't care. It's campy fun and that's why I love them.

Oh well.

I agree that ROTS was much better than the first two, but it is still very flawed. It still doesn't mesh with the OT like it should.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 06:19 PM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

One thing that has been said in another article, is that Lucas should have realized his fans wanted sequels( in the opinion of the writer.)

They are dead wrong about that. Fans wanted more movies somehow, but no one went 'ugh' at the idea of prequels.

Fans may vary all over the map about the quality of the PT, but one thing I think we all agree on is: we wanted to see what happened before. It was hugely important to the mythos.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 07:05 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
God

Originally posted by roughrider
One thing that has been said in another article, is that Lucas should have realized his fans wanted sequels( in the opinion of the writer.)

They are dead wrong about that. Fans wanted more movies somehow, but no one went 'ugh' at the idea of prequels.

Fans may vary all over the map about the quality of the PT, but one thing I think we all agree on is: we wanted to see what happened before. It was hugely important to the mythos.

You are totally right. I think most fans wanted to see an origins story of some kind. Sadly it didn't work out the way we wanted.

Old Post May 13th, 2010 04:12 PM
Click here to Send 003 a Private Message Find more posts by 003 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I don't remember Lucas asking the fans anything.

Old Post May 13th, 2010 06:39 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by queeq
I don't remember Lucas asking the fans anything.

No. Should he be admired for that?

There's a simple equation in his mind: I make the film I want to see. If the fans don't like it, they don't come.
He always cites the case of 'More American Graffiti' being a dud.
The box office receipts and DVD sales for the PT says he's not wrong.

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 08:49 PM
queeq
Chaos

I think it's okay that he does whatever he wants. We can be disappointed though.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 09:45 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote