KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Why do people still have this notion that Batman doesn't kill.

Why do people still have this notion that Batman doesn't kill.
Started by: Batman Returns

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Batman Returns

Why do people still have this notion that Batman doesn't kill.

Batman's been killing henchmen left and right, and nobody says anything about until he kills the main villian. Then the debates starts on his intentions. Why is that? Batman does kill. I know alot of people don't want to admit that, still holding on the mythos of the comic books, but Batman's been killing. sometimes to save lives u have to take a life.....he should only kill when he has to, and in the movies and some graphic novels ive seen, he does just that. but i hate hearing ppl ***** and moan about how batman doesnt kill. he has, and he does at times.

Last edited by Batman Returns on Jan 29th, 2006 at 12:57 AM

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 12:55 AM
Batman Returns is currently offline Click here to Send Batman Returns a Private Message Find more posts by Batman Returns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

He has before, but when was the last time youve seen him outright kill someone? Sure make them paralyzed, break lots of bones, cause lots of pain, take them out of a fight with pressure points, or any gadget he has on his person, but kill them? Not any that I can think of.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 01:15 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cascador

Well Batman didn't kill the Joker...He tried to stop him from getting away...pity accident lol...End yeah altho Batman in BB didn't kill Ra's Al Ghul directly...he is responsible for his death. So both are killers in both films...

"The greatest hero is the one who learns to face his fears and overconquers it!"

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 01:26 AM
Cascador is currently offline Click here to Send Cascador a Private Message Find more posts by Cascador Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoFate007

Batman's like any other superhero. He wishes not to have to kill anyone and he tries his very best not to, but there are times when he simply must. Every superhero if they've had enough stories have killed at least 3 people - and yes aliens count as a kill, so you can't say Superman hasn't when he's killed various aliens, or something along that path.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 02:57 AM
NoFate007 is currently offline Click here to Send NoFate007 a Private Message Find more posts by NoFate007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
atharpina

I see a big difference between "killing" and what Batman did to Ra's.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 04:47 AM
atharpina is currently offline Click here to Send atharpina a Private Message Find more posts by atharpina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ganner Rhysode
Jedi Knight

quote: (post)
Originally posted by atharpina
I see a big difference between "killing" and what Batman did to Ra's.

As did Batman, which is why he said, "I won't kill you. That doesn't mean I have to save you."

And yeah, Batman will seriously injure people, but tries to avoid killing people, and only kills them if he has no other choice.

GGNORE

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 05:46 AM
Ganner Rhysode is currently offline Click here to Send Ganner Rhysode a Private Message Find more posts by Ganner Rhysode Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpyCspider

he's just very good at making sure those who he hurts doesn't die directly from it cool

cept when he threw coins in the air for Two-Face to grab in BForever...and then watched him plummet to his death. How's that for "not saving you, but not killing you either"?

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 09:16 AM
SpyCspider is currently offline Click here to Send SpyCspider a Private Message Find more posts by SpyCspider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

Well, I reckon Batman doesn't kill in comics except in circumsatnces where it's the only way to save millions and even then, he'll try not to and it's usually an accident! That's why I didn't like DKR, it made Bruce too harsh. He killed loads of those mutants, full on murdered Joker, crippled guys with no remorse or anything and he was an old git! Miller should be arrested and why the hell was Bruce always strolling around naked in froont of Carrie? He's a god damn paedo in ity! And I hate the way he messes everything up, he's a good guy and Clark's a good guy, they aren't a rivalry of savage torturing vigilante murderer and government assasin! For god's sake...

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 10:52 AM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Etrigan
?

I can't think of many instances when Batman has actually been malicious enough to try and kill a main villain fully, except in Hush Vol 2 when Gordon had to actually hold him at gunpoint to stop him from crushing Joker's windpipe.

He only intended paralysis to the Joker in DKR, but Joker took it a bit too far. And true, he did kill a great deal of mutants... but even so.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 11:46 AM
Etrigan is currently offline Click here to Send Etrigan a Private Message Find more posts by Etrigan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

err... DKR isn't continuity, its kinda unofficially ELSEWORLDS, so who cares about that shit?

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 11:47 AM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Etrigan
?

Oh yeah...

As is with the Bloodstorm, Red Rain, etc series. He killed zillions in that, but it's Elseworlds, and he was a vampire anyway.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 11:49 AM
Etrigan is currently offline Click here to Send Etrigan a Private Message Find more posts by Etrigan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

He kills demons and vampires etc though...he only actaully killed Dracula in Red Rain. I dunno about Bloodstorm/ Crimson Mist.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 11:51 AM
Etrigan
?

He killed a great number of people in Bloodtsorm and Crimson Mist. Including Poison Ivy and The Joker. Oh, and Mr Zsasz, Penguin, many thugs, and Killer Croc.

Probably a few more I don't recall.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 12:02 PM
Kovacs86

Isn't that because they all become demons and avmpires and stuff?

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 12:28 PM
Etrigan
?

Nope.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 01:02 PM
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

DKR isn't continuity. The Batman movies aren't continuity. The vampire stuff certainly isn't continuity. I have no idea what the OPer is talking about.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 05:59 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Ra's Al Ghul was responsible for his OWN death.

Bruce Wayne: "I'm no executioner" how hard is that to understand? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 07:19 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by NoFate007
Batman's like any other superhero. He wishes not to have to kill anyone and he tries his very best not to, but there are times when he simply must. Every superhero if they've had enough stories have killed at least 3 people - and yes aliens count as a kill, so you can't say Superman hasn't when he's killed various aliens, or something along that path.

True.I have never said that he doesnt kill.He did carry a gun in the beggining of the batman comics and shot and killed people but it was only during times that like you said,it was because he simply had to and there was no other way.The batman from the comics would have done something like have the batmobile go into the jokers warehouse and spray a knockout gas on all the thugs instead of killing them in the cowardly way he did when his life wasnt even in danger.That kind of thing or like putting a bomb in that guys pants in batman returns is something the punisher would do.The first two batman movies were much more like a punisher movie than a batman movie.The punisher would not care about killing a dirty thug in a cowardly way like batman did,batman only kills if he has to and there is no other way.He hates to do it.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 07:20 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Ra's Al Ghul was responsible for his OWN death.

Bruce Wayne: "I'm no executioner" how hard is that to understand? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yeah I hate it when the burton batman lovers always come back with that lame come back that he killed in Batman Begins by saying he killed Ra's Al Ghul by not saving him on that train.Going around sending a batmobile into a warehouse dropping a bomb in front of a bunch of goons is just plain murder,the batmobile is bulletproof and his life was never in danger at that time and yet he goes and kills them.HUGE difference there than when he says to ra' al goul- I'm not going to kill you but I dont have to save you either.Not saving his mentor doesnt qualify as killing someone. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Last edited by Mr Parker on Jan 29th, 2006 at 07:34 PM

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 07:31 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

He says "I'm no excutioner" just before he blows up the monastery at the start ut he only blows it as a distraction bbut it gets out of control... and he didn't kill the Ra's decoy, burning rubble fell on him. That's why all 4 opening Bat flicks are shat!

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 07:58 PM