KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Any new, old Metallica fans..?

Any new, old Metallica fans..?
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Any new, old Metallica fans..?

While I was one of those who claimed Metallica had sold out, the documentary really opened my eyes to what happened to them as musicians and as PEOPLE, which is what should really be considered first and foremost. I've come to understand and accept the "progression", as some would call it, of the band, and that perhaps they don't want to make the same music over and over again? They may have toned their stuff down a little over the years, but you can still rock out to it, regardless. Besides, how many other bands at 40 yrs plus do you see putting on speed metal shows?

The road takes a toll on us all, especially musicians, and so I ask who are we to question the bands motiviations and inspirations for changing their tune, so to speak? I've made that realization, and am ashamed to have been so pigheaded to be so prejudiced and bitter over it. It was more or less out of anger that I harboured such negative opinions. I've been a Metallica fan for a long time, I accepted the change when "Load" came around and dug it as well, but the new "Who the hell are we?" feel of St. Anger really pissed me off, so I personally strayed away for the past 2 years.

Alls I can say is that while the new material isn't my cup of tea so much, I'm re-dedicating myself to the band as a fan, and hope that while this little message will go unappreciated, perhaps some of you will understand what I've come to understand, stop being so bitter over a band, and find happiness in the fact that the guys are still AROUND after all these years, and rockin' out.

A little better sense of direction, a little more patience on their behalf, and I think they'll pick up right where they left off. thumb up

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 12:27 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

You mean the DVD you very nearly cast into the firey depths of Hades for being a selfish and arrogant development?

I'm glad you have decided to actually still support them though. Like I said, rather have them sober and making average music than dead and making none.

Good for you.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 01:40 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Damn straight thumb up

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 03:01 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

I still hate the new music, and still think they sold out.

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 03:05 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MetallicaT
Vicarious

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SlipknoT
I still hate the new music, and still think they sold out.

well its a good thing no one cares what you think then...

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 03:31 AM
MetallicaT is currently offline Click here to Send MetallicaT a Private Message Find more posts by MetallicaT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by MetallicaT
well its a good thing no one cares what you think then...
Stop trying to defend your shitty band with generic overused comebacks wink

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 03:44 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MetallicaT
Vicarious

saying that they "sold out" isn't generic? plz....

how did they sell out man? cuz of the napster thing? cuz they made a few songs that you don't particularly like?

Last edited by MetallicaT on Apr 11th, 2005 at 03:59 AM

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 03:52 AM
MetallicaT is currently offline Click here to Send MetallicaT a Private Message Find more posts by MetallicaT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

i don't mind St Anger, sure its far from their best cd but it still shows they have some fire in their bellys as far as making cool music

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 04:30 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

I watched most of Some Kind of Monster last night, and I have to say it changed my mind too. And now I kinda feel sorry for them... And Dave Mustaine... erm

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 04:35 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I haven't seen it...but then again, I never thought they sold-out.

Is it actually good? Like, a worthwhile watch? If it is I might try to catch it on VH1.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 04:37 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Originally posted by Lana
I haven't seen it...but then again, I never thought they sold-out.

Is it actually good? Like, a worthwhile watch? If it is I might try to catch it on VH1.

It was on VH1 last night, I don't know if they'll play it again any time soon confused

But in any case, I think it's worth a look. And I forgot to mention in my last post that I no longer think Lars Ulrich is as much of a pompous, greedy ******* as I used to.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 04:39 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

theres been lots of people saying its great and lots of people saying it sucks balls, you'll have to watch it and make up your mind on that one

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 04:40 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

They've been playing it a ton, I think they just played it earlier tonight.

I'll check it out then.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 04:40 AM
Darth Revan
-

Ah. In that case, you should definitely try to see it. Changed my perspective, and I was never really mad at them in the first place.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 04:44 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
You mean the DVD you very nearly cast into the firey depths of Hades for being a selfish and arrogant development?

Yessir. I'll be the first to admit that I based my opinion of the movie soley on my feelings. It wasn't until later that the documentary wasn't their idea, and that it wasn't ever really intended to begin with.

Originally posted by MetallicaT
saying that they "sold out" isn't generic? plz....

how did they sell out man? cuz of the napster thing? cuz they made a few songs that you don't particularly like?

Protecting what is yours, Lars was right in the Napster fiasco. When I claimed they sold out, it was because of the total overhaul of the band I loved and respected as metal gods. Short hair, and an alternative rock approach is what pissed me off at first, but I grew to like it. Even S&M was a fantastic venture. I just didn't realize, until after seeing the documentary, Metallica aren't a band that want to be cemented in one period, one time, or one movement. The music is reflective of how they feel right then and there and that now is clear to me. "St. Anger", however, is a totally different departure, and for those who can't appreciate people's personal changes, epiphanies, and motivations will always fall back on the "sell out" cry.

I think Metallica are still true to themselves, which is the way it should be. "Love it or leave it" is another phrase that really came to mind after digesting the documentary. If you have loved the band for this long, there's got to be something you can find to like in their newest incarnation. They'll make music for themselves first and foremost, and FANS have to learn to accept that. I finally did. If Metallica were looking to "sell-out" with "St. Anger" in particular, they failed. One song made it to radio. "Black Album" was just Metallica being introduced into the mainstream, and it's not their faults of their music is loved, you know? Every single artist who ever signs a record contract could be considered a sell out. In that same regard, people also have to eat, buy clothes, and pay their bills. If they chose to do it by sharing their passion, so ****ing what?

Originally posted by Darth Revan
I watched most of Some Kind of Monster last night, and I have to say it changed my mind too. And now I kinda feel sorry for them... And Dave Mustaine... erm

Dave Mustaine is horribly misunderstood, and I totally sympathize with him now, more than ever. It's just a shame that everyone thinks he's bitter and resentful when it's the exact opposite, and that all he wanted was a second chance. What's more, Lars regrets it, as he probably should. Same goes for Jason Newsted. James pushed him out because of his insecurities, and that's equally as shameful. Newsted was probably the biggest metal influence left in that band.

Originally posted by Lana

It's an incredible documentary. I've seen it 3 times now, having bought it, and it never gets old. That's somewhat unusual, a documentary with re-watch value. The extra clips, being 41 unused scenes are equally as entertaining and valuable.

Originally posted by Darth Revan
I

But in any case, I think it's worth a look. And I forgot to mention in my last post that I no longer think Lars Ulrich is as much of a pompous, greedy ******* as I used to.

I never understood why the everyone's general perception of him was so negative. Pertaining to Napster, he's a business man, and I respect that. He's a lot more deeper a thinker than I ever would have given him credit.

But, like I said, the documentary is really good, and answers a lot of questions for those who feel as if they have been betrayed. Answers, answers, answers. All I ever wanted. It just takes a little understanding. It's just so surreal to see Metallica for who they are.

Real people.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 06:15 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

They didn't sell out and if you think they did then you're a moron with a delusional sense of entitlement.

Simple as.

I saw the band play live during St. Anger tour and they tore the place down.

They rule.

With regards to Napster, nobody likes getting ripped off and they were protecting what was theirs. Regardless of the fact that it's art first and foremost, it IS their job.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 07:07 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MetallicaT
Vicarious

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction

Dave Mustaine is horribly misunderstood, and I totally sympathize with him now, more than ever. It's just a shame that everyone thinks he's bitter and resentful when it's the exact opposite, and that all he wanted was a second chance. What's more, Lars regrets it, as he probably should..

Dave used to be a real ass
i have a video of him saying this at one of his concerts...
"There 4 legendary metal bands, oh wait five" then he counts down on his fingers:
"1. megadeth
2. Slayer
3. Anthrax
4. Exodus
5. Metallica"

But he did it so Metallica was his middle finger then he yelled "**** YOU METALLICA!."

but...after Dimebag's death he posted on megadeth.com apologizing to metallica and slayer for the things he's said ...he also apologized to metallica/megadeth fans, saying that he'll never say another unkind word about the 22yr long feud with metallica.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 07:32 AM
Deathblow
-

Selling out...that phrase is so often used by stupid kids just because a band they like changes their sound.

I never thought they sold out, I do however believe that everything since the black album has been awful, and no documentary is going to swing me on that. I doubt I'll watch it though, Metallica, like Smashing Pumpkins, are one band I've detached myself from on a personal level, because it's all drama drama drama between people I really don't like very much, and I'm just not interested anymore.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 08:08 AM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

i wouldn't say officially that i'm a metallica fan now, but i do like some of their songs like 'fuel', 'nothing else matters', 'die die, my darlin', 'frantic', 'some kind of monster', and so forth.

Need to Reach Me? Then Please Contact Me Here: [SodapopAllerdyce/Xanga] [phantomtravel3r/LiveJournal]

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 09:16 AM
BOPRecruit 16 is currently offline Click here to Send BOPRecruit 16 a Private Message Find more posts by BOPRecruit 16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Korri

Hello! zorro

Old Post Apr 11th, 2005 12:22 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote