KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Better Discography: Megadeth or Slayer?

Better Discography: Megadeth or Slayer?
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Better Discography: Megadeth or Slayer?

Based on the catalogue releases of these two bands, who would you say has released the most important, influential, and best selling metal albums?

My votes goes to Slayer, and with good reason. Slayer more or less set the standard for thrash metal when it was birthed in the early 80's. When "Haunting the Chapel" dropped in 1984, metal as we knew it was changed forever. Although it was a 4 track EP, it went on to include 2 of the heaviest songs of all time, in both music and message. Taking the punk rock message and applying it to absolute trash metal, tracks such as "Chemical Warfare" got across Slayer's opinions anti-war stance, and made sure their presence was felt with the sadistic "Captor of Sin".

In 1985, one of the absolute darkest themed metal albums was released in "Hell Awaits", fast, empirical, and morbid, its inspiration can still be heard in metal today. One year later, we were graced with what is widely accepted as the greatest thrash metal, if not heavy metal album of all time. "Reign in Blood". Its unprecidented track listing now rolls off like a roster of all stars.

Angel Of Death..
Necrophobic...
Altar Of Sacrafice...
Jesus Saves...
Criminally Insane...
Postmortem...
Raining Blood...

..and while their follow up in "South of Heaven" produced two breakout tracks in the title track, and the anti-war cry, "Mandatory Suicide", the album was still of some importance, as metal was undergoing a major overhaul, and glam rock bands were taking top billing.

Becoming more and more comfortable in their own skin, Slayer returned with a vengeance in 1990, bucking the birth of grunge rock, establishing their place in the halls of metal lore with "Seasons in the Abyss". A polished and more mature Slayer rattled off a "RIB" like track listing comprised of "War Ensamble", "Dead Skin Mask", and gut-ripping, groove heavy "Born of Fire" and "Seasons in the Abyss".

Slayer follows up this successful outing with what has been heralded as one of the greatest live sets of all time in "DOA: Decade of Aggression". Music played to perfection, Slayer takes 10 years of their greatest material to the stage and presents it flawlessly. Enter Paul Bostaph for "Divine Intervention" album. This is Slayer at its philosophical and social peak. Very outspoken, Araya helms the "socially aware" metal juggernaut, and goes full steam ahead, blast beats and groove-core galore, taking no prisoners on tracks like "Dittohead", "Killing Fields", and "Serenity in Murder".

"Diabolus in Musica" is the product of a 4 year hiatus for Slayer, save the covers album, and it's a time when metal is at it's lowest peak, which was an otherwise high one for nu-metal. That flavor of the weak wore off on the metal giants, Slayer, Sepultura, Machine Head, and even Fear Factory played follow the leader in 1998, releasing rather luckluster efforts, tainted with the trend.

2001 was the year of retribution. "God Hates Us All" was the bands angriest, most inspired, brutal, doom ridden, truthful and unrelenting album to date. Tracks such as "Warzone", "Payback", "Cast Down". THIS IS SLAYER, this is godly.

..and the rest is history.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 06:56 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cad
Restricted

Account Restricted

cool
cool

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 07:02 AM
cad is currently offline Click here to Send cad a Private Message Find more posts by cad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Korri

Slayer, I agree.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 04:38 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Df02

although neither are my top 10 bands... Slayer.

Dead Skin Mask, Seasons in the abyss, War Ensemble, Raining Blood, Bloodlines, Stain of mind, Angel of Death, Fight til death

all great songs smile

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 04:41 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

i prefer megadeth

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 05:08 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Slayer...they are the best.

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 05:19 PM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nick1811
At Gunpoint

slayer, hands down

"Rest in Piece, Brother Dime"- Vinnie Paul

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 05:23 PM
nick1811 is currently offline Click here to Send nick1811 a Private Message Find more posts by nick1811 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Slayer.

I'd take Reign in Blood over any Megadeth album.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 05:56 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MetallicaT
Vicarious

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Deano
i prefer megadeth

as do i

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 08:29 PM
MetallicaT is currently offline Click here to Send MetallicaT a Private Message Find more posts by MetallicaT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

while i do like both bands, i've never been able to take Slayer completely seriously after reading that Tom writes his lyrics using a thesaurus. music = top of the line but i cant take it seriously

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 11:22 PM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagnaViper
Spoon-based Destruction

I'll try to keep this as simple as possible.

Slayer has Reign in Blood, easily one of the best metal albums of all time. Megadeth has both Peace Sells... But Who's Buying and Rust in Peace, which are excellent albums but not quite up to Reign in Blood.

Though Slayer has other very good albums (South of Heaven and Show No Mercy), it really ends up in a tie in the long run. Reason being is that Megadeth's two best releases surpass Reign in Blood but evens out with Slayer's other releases.

This sig was brought to you buy CorderaMitchell and Piggle. Blame them.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 11:41 PM
RagnaViper is currently offline Click here to Send RagnaViper a Private Message Find more posts by RagnaViper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Two albums can't equate one. If you have to overcompensate to make a singular comparison, then don't even bother.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2005 01:32 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagnaViper
Spoon-based Destruction

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Two albums can't equate one. If you have to overcompensate to make a singular comparison, then don't even bother.

Yes, but we are including their entire discographies. I just made that as an opening point for my comparison. Stop being an idiot and get the point.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2005 02:09 AM
RagnaViper is currently offline Click here to Send RagnaViper a Private Message Find more posts by RagnaViper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Originally posted by RagnaViper
Yes, but we are including their entire discographies. I just made that as an opening point for my comparison. Stop being an idiot and get the point.

I'll only say this once. As a staff member here at KMC, I suggest you lay off harassing me for what you see as idiotic.

Originally posted by RagnaViper
Reason being is that Megadeth's two best releases surpass Reign in Blood but evens out with Slayer's other releases.

Right there, you're comparing albums, not entire libraries. There's a distinction when you're singling out records.

Commercially, and popularity wise, Slayer's discography wins hands down.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2005 05:01 AM
RagnaViper
Spoon-based Destruction

OK, I'm not going to post the same thing over again considering you refuse to get my point. I'll just consider this a lost case considering how completely unimportant this conversation is.

But for future reference, King wouldn't have been shit without Dave Mustaine. That's a proven fact.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2005 03:34 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Now THAT'S some bullshit. I get your "point" fine. You're trying to say that TWO Megadeth albums COMBINED are better than Slayer's best. OF COURSE THEY ARE! Especially if they are Megadeth's two best albums? That's a ****ing moronic, and unequal comparison.

Secondly, that's no proven fact. Lest we forget that it was Musty that tried to sign on King, who moonlighted at Megadeth live shows, because Dave couldn't find a perm guitar player for the band. Then, once Kerry refused to join, Dave was being his usual ***** self during the "Clash of the Titans" tour, ironically referring to Slayer as "a bunch of silly assholes who did nothing but drink beer and act stupid".

Kerry King started Slayer, and he owes absolutely nothing to Dave Mustaine, except an extension of his middle finger.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2005 03:43 AM
RagnaViper
Spoon-based Destruction

It is a proven fact. Now shush punk-person.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2005 03:53 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

laughing out loud

C'mon, man. Prove your "fact". Don't make like Mustaine, shove a needle in your arm, become a walking contradiction, and hope I just go away.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Jun 18th, 2005 at 04:14 AM

Old Post Jun 18th, 2005 04:05 AM
RagnaViper
Spoon-based Destruction

Prove your fact, then?

Proving Kerry wouldn't be anything without Dave would be off topic. This is about the discography, not talent. Therefore I retract my original statement on King and Mustaine. End discussion on that.

OK, here I go again. Back to the original topic. I'm not gonna say this again so listen up please.
Slayer - Excellent albums
Megadeth - Excellent albums

Slayer - Reign in Blood. The best album out of both artists.
Megadeth - Rust in Peace and Peace Sells... But Who's Buyin'. Great albums but not as good as Reign in Blood.
Slayer - All other releases. Great, but none were as good as Rust in Peace or Peace Sells... But Who's Buyin'.
Megadeth - All other releases. Definitely had a few good ones. They don't match up to the above mentioned other Slayer releases though.

Results (the numbers are just meant as visualizations, no NASA level accuracy here):
Slayer (RIB) +10
Megadeth (RIP & PSBWB) +7 +7 (+14 total for the slow ones)
Slayer (Other) +10
Megadeth (Other) +6

That's basically it. Slayer (+20). Megadeth (+20). There ya go. Equally good discographies. Enjoy.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2005 04:29 AM
RagnaViper
Spoon-based Destruction

laughing out loud

C'mon, man. Prove your "fact". Don't make like Mustaine, shove a needle in your arm, become a walking contradiction, and hope I just go away.

big grin

Patient one, aren't we?

Old Post Jun 18th, 2005 04:32 AM