KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » guitar help

guitar help
Started by: Darth Jello

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

guitar help

hey, i'm looking for a new guitar and i need some help.
basically i'm looking for a smaller scale (24" or 22.5") with a thin neck and a jazzy sound prefferably, left-handed.
I really have my eye set on either a Fender Duosonic, Mustang, or a Jazzmaster.

Do any of you guys know where i could buy one or are willing to sell one?

Basically what i want to do is take a lefty duosonic or mustang, put in Jaguar style dual circuits and slider switches, a Jazzmaster floating bridge and trem, a jazzmaster single coil in the lead position and a Dimarzio Humbucker in the bridge position.

Basically something for a left-handed player with small hands and fingers who plays mostly surf/punk.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 08:50 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eggmayo

eBay.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 10:39 AM
eggmayo is currently offline Click here to Send eggmayo a Private Message Find more posts by eggmayo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Re: guitar help

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Jello
hey, i'm looking for a new guitar and i need some help.
basically i'm looking for a smaller scale (24" or 22.5") with a thin neck and a jazzy sound prefferably, left-handed.
I really have my eye set on either a Fender Duosonic, Mustang, or a Jazzmaster.

Do any of you guys know where i could buy one or are willing to sell one?

Basically what i want to do is take a lefty duosonic or mustang, put in Jaguar style dual circuits and slider switches, a Jazzmaster floating bridge and trem, a jazzmaster single coil in the lead position and a Dimarzio Humbucker in the bridge position.

Basically something for a left-handed player with small hands and fingers who plays mostly surf/punk.

Duosonics are cool, but if I'm not mistaken they don't make them anymore..? So I personally wouldn't go cutting one up and putting new electronics in it...

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 05:04 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

duosonics and mustangs sound like shit without custamization and their bridges are terrible. actually they're pretty much the same guitar (as is the music master, the cyclone, and the supersonic).
the only thing on ebay was a silver sparkly japanese supersonic that looked like it needed a lot of work before being even remotely playable.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 06:00 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Nuh-uh sad I'm actually serious when I say, if you come across a Duosonic (not a reissue) that's playable, DON'T GO PUTTING NEW SHIT IN IT. Or if you do, don't do anything that can't be undone, and don't throw away whatever you take out... Because original, un-****ed-with Duosonics are worth some money. Come to think of it though, you'd have a hard enough time tracking down an original left-handed one to begin with. So I'll shut up.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 06:10 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

a duosonic is just a mustang without a trem.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 08:50 AM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

alright, i guess i'll post a little review,
a musicmaster is a short scale guitar, somewhat similar to a strat, with 1 single coil pickup, a duosonic is a musicmaster with 2 single coil pickups, a mustang is a duosonic with a trem, a cyclone is a kurt cobain inspired mustang with a humbucker in the bridge, a supersonic is a cyclone with two humbuckers.

A Jazzmaster is one of the most advanced guitars ever built, featuring an obtuse body, a unique floating trem, 2 special mellow single coil "soap bar" pickups, and a unique dual circuit selector system, a jaguar is a short scale jazzmaster with two standard single coil pickups and some tweaking in the circuits to cut down on feedback, a tornado is a kurt cobain inspired jaguar with two humbucker pickups.
A Jagstang is a Kurt Cobain designed guitar with a body that combines some of teh features of the Mustang and Jaguar with a dual circuit, a mustang bridge and trem, a single coil in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge. It's basically unfinished, uncontoured, and is for all intents and purposes an unplayable piece of crap.
Mustang and Bronco bases use the musicmaster body. the rare fender V and fender VI basses (5 and 6 string bases with trems) use mustang and jazzmaster bodies respectively.

People who play/have played these guitars-Kurt Cobain, Rikk Agnew, Dick Dale, Buddy Holly, Liz Phair, Mellissa Ethridge, Thurston Moore, Frank Agnew, Deedee Ramone, and lots of other people with smaller hands and/or incomes.

Last edited by Darth Jello on Nov 14th, 2005 at 09:08 AM

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 09:01 AM
Darth Revan
-

a duosonic is just a mustang without a trem.

I'm aware of this... But unless I'm horribly misinformed, non-reissue Duosonics are rather rare.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 06:19 PM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

i discovered fender of Japan so i guess i can order a mustang there, tho it will be pricey. and i think you mean the rare "student series" duosonics that have a 22.5" scale length. those are really rare and probably damn comfortable.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 10:28 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

your a lefty?...me too...nightmare getting guitars unless you're willing to pay a bit more

still...you could go for the Cobain look with a lefty jagstand in blue

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 10:32 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

no, Jagstangs are unplayable. they're uncomfortable, they sound like shit, and they haven't been made by anyone in 4 years. They're only for nirvana fans or collectors since no one in their right mind would pay such a high price for such a shitty guitar. the two guitars that are more closely based on Cobain's taste and sound are the Cyclone and the Tornado. I'm going for a more Rikk Agnew/Adolescents surfey sound hence my want of a Mustang with Jazzmaster/Jaguar electronics.

Btw, the easiet right-handed guitar to restring and play is the Gibson SG/Epiphone G. no bridges to flip, no extra holes to drill. it's almost simetrical!!!

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 10:46 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

no, Jagstangs are unplayable. they're uncomfortable, they sound like shit, and they haven't been made by anyone in 4 years. They're only for nirvana fans or collectors since no one in their right mind would pay such a high price for such a shitty guitar. the two guitars that are more closely based on Cobain's taste and sound are the Cyclone and the Tornado. I'm going for a more Rikk Agnew/Adolescents surfey sound hence my want of a Mustang with Jazzmaster/Jaguar electronics.

Btw, the easiet right-handed guitar to restring and play is the Gibson SG/Epiphone G. no bridges to flip, no extra holes to drill. it's almost simetrical!!!

haha...my mate will be happy with that comment...he just spent 500 bucks on a jagstang less than a year ago...foolish boy...then again...he is obsessed with nirvana

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 11:50 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

the thing was never finished, dammit. It uses cheap, shoddy pickups, bad tuners, and has no contouring whatsoever, you might as well tape a magnet to a log, string it and play that.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 08:37 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

the thing was never finished, dammit. It uses cheap, shoddy pickups, bad tuners, and has no contouring whatsoever, you might as well tape a magnet to a log, string it and play that.

i think you've just solved your own problem

laughing

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 03:08 PM