KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Post-rock

Post-rock
Started by: papabeard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

Post-rock

Anyone else into this sort of stuff......

Bands like Slint, Mogwai, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, Mono

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 09:31 AM
papabeard is currently offline Click here to Send papabeard a Private Message Find more posts by papabeard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eggmayo

I like Mogwai and Godspeed. never heard of the other three.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 10:38 AM
eggmayo is currently offline Click here to Send eggmayo a Private Message Find more posts by eggmayo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I like Mogwai, Godspeed are excellent. Explosions in the Sky aren't all that, though I can listen to them if need be.

The only Godspeed clones (because they all essentially are) I can stand are Esmerine.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 10:56 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

Mono are a japanese band

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 11:08 AM
papabeard is currently offline Click here to Send papabeard a Private Message Find more posts by papabeard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Your point?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 11:17 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

quote: (post)
Originally posted by eggmayo
I like Mogwai and Godspeed. never heard of the other three.

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Your point?

-AC

It was in reply to this, a little bit of info about the band.

Whats your problem ?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 11:51 AM
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I adore Godspeed and Mogwai, haven't heard a lot from the others.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 03:58 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Such a ricidulous label is post-rock.

GYBE are instrumental rock. Not sure why it's 'after' rock.

Explosions in the Sky are a cheap knock-off.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 08:42 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

FFS, *ridiculous*.

I don't mind Mogwai at times, but it's a bit hit and miss.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2005 11:19 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

Its post rock as it takes the ideas of rock music and deconstructs them and then reconstructs them, using certain musical ideas and devices. For example it may take a piece of music that could be considered an intro and they would stretch it out over an entire song, its post modern and I think thats where the name originates from. It takes the cliches of rock and roll and subverts them. Its an intelligent evolution of the genre and i dont think instrumental rock encompasses what these bands are trying to do.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2005 11:23 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

It doesn't do all that. It's instrumental rock, that's all.

What people like yourself (not saying you are specifically trying to do this) are trying to do with these labels is make themselves sound like they know what they're talking about.

GYBE! are instrumental rock, that's all. Nothing 'After' about them.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2005 04:05 PM
Df02

is it:
Godspeed you! Black Emperor
or:
Godspeed you black emperor!

because they get labeled as either or as far as i can tell.

doesn't bother me much, but wanna ask anyway.

either way, i enjoy GYBE, Mogwai and EITS... but they definately have to be listened to at the right times

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post Nov 13th, 2005 06:27 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Both, really. I tend to use the latter, but you can use either.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2005 06:28 PM
Df02

GY!BE was the first way i saw it put, so i tend to use that version.
plus i like that way for some reason

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post Nov 13th, 2005 06:42 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by papabeard
Its post rock as it takes the ideas of rock music and deconstructs them and then reconstructs them, using certain musical ideas and devices. For example it may take a piece of music that could be considered an intro and they would stretch it out over an entire song, its post modern and I think thats where the name originates from. It takes the cliches of rock and roll and subverts them. Its an intelligent evolution of the genre and i dont think instrumental rock encompasses what these bands are trying to do.

Neither does 'post-rock'. The name can't originate from post-modern, because a) it's not; and b) it just shares a prefix, which means 'after'.

It could be argued that many bands use the techniques you just mentioned, and they don't fit into that genre, whatever it might be.

Re: GYBE- they changed the placing of the '!' once, although I don't know why.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2005 07:08 PM
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 10:18 AM
cool_dudes_rule

Re: Post-rock

Anyone else into this sort of stuff......

Bands like Slint, Mogwai, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, Mono
not really heard of the stuff.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 10:34 AM
cool_dudes_rule is currently offline Click here to Send cool_dudes_rule a Private Message Find more posts by cool_dudes_rule Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Post-rock is a fake label because how can there be anything after it? It's always in current existance.

It's rock, not post-rock. Just instrumental rock. Post means after. So for example, when anyone says post-grunge, they're referring to any music after grunge. Including pop.

Hence why labellers are stupid.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 04:26 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

^
Of course its post-modern.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=post-modern

The term doesn't apply here. You could argue post-modern elements, but you could do the same of any musical genre that succeeds another.

It's just lazy pigeonholing.

Imagine if rock had originally been called post-blues.

This would be post-post blues.

That could go even further obviously, but it's a silly trend to start.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 07:31 PM
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

For you to discount that this is a postmodern style of music is just ridiculous and pedantic, clearly you dont understand the concept of post-modernism.

Postmodern does not singularly refer to music that comes after other music, did you read the definition. It is about consciously mixing up certain elements and devices established by prior generations of musicians.

But things like the Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin were most definitely post modern in relation to their time in history, they took the basic ideas of the blues and built upon them,you cannot say that Blind Lemon Jefferson sounds the same as Black Dog or When the Levee Breaks, but they were most definitely influenced by Jefferson. They were not labeled as Post Rock at the time as theories of Post modernism arose after this period.

And almost every art form cannot avoid post modernism it is the very basis of artistic evolution

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 10:47 AM