KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Cassidy Found Guilty of Manslaughter

Cassidy Found Guilty of Manslaughter
Started by: NewJERU

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NewJERU
U Have 2 Respect Jersey

Cassidy Found Guilty of Manslaughter

Barry “Cassidy” Reese was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and aggravated assault Tuesday and was sentenced to 11 1/2 to 23 months in prison.

The rapper could possibly be out of jail in a few months because of time already served in prison. The rapper has been incarcerated since June.

At the non-jury trial, Common Pleas Judge Jane Cutler Greenspan said that rapper was negligent in providing guns to assailants that eventually killed Desmond Hawkins, a 22-year-old Philadelphia man.

"You could be a leader in the community," Greenspan said according to the Associated Press. "All those guns - that's why Desmond is gone now, because of all those guns."

In court, the rapper expressed remorse for the crime. "It's a tragic situation for me too. I didn't set up for this to happen. Desmond Hawkins was my friend ... one of my closest friends,” he told the judge.

The murder trial of Philadelphia rapper Cassidy started on Monday Jan. 24, were the rapper was accused of first-degree murder in relation to an April 2005 slaying.

In June, Cassidy was arrested and charged with the murder of Hawkins. Cassidy surrendered to authorities in June of 2005, a week before the release of his sophomore album, I'ma Hustla.

Prosecutors claimed the rapper planned the murder by placing four of his associates in positions to attack his rivals.

His accusers concur Cassidy was more than prepared - as they said they discovered almost 80 unspent cartridges of various calibers in his home, near the shooting. Prosecutors claimed that Roberto Johnson, an associate of Hawkins, fought with one of Cassidy's associates earlier in the day in front of a Rite-Aid drug store.

Seeking retaliation for the altercation earlier in the day, Johnson testified the he, along with Hawkins, Daniel Irvin, 22, and 21-year-old Bobby Hoyle went to Cassidy's home.

Johnson testified he was not in the van because he was urinating in a nearby back yard. He heard the gunshots and ducked behind a car.

Ballistic evidence recovered at the scene found that 30 shots were fired at the van from an area near Cassidy's home, while 12 shots came from inside the van.

Johnson testified that he was unarmed and the he had seen only one gun in the van. He said he sold the weapon after the shooting.

Responding to the allegations, Cassidy's lawyer Fortunato Perri. Jr. suggested Johnson may have fired first as he was outside the van.

In July of 2005, prosecution witness Joseph Newkirk recanted his statements to police that he witnessed Cassidy firing a gun. In court on Monday, Newkirk alleged police detectives told him what to say.

In August, Cassidy's charge was reduced to a third-degree murder charge, but the decision was appealed to a higher court and the first-degree murder charge was reinstated.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 12:52 AM
NewJERU is currently offline Click here to Send NewJERU a Private Message Find more posts by NewJERU Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

yea i read it this morning.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 01:06 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JacopeX
Restricted

Account Restricted

I heard it in 105.1 earlier

The more you question it, the less you will understand.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 01:23 AM
JacopeX is currently offline Click here to Send JacopeX a Private Message Find more posts by JacopeX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
k00L kiD
life is a dream

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewJERU
Barry “Cassidy” Reese was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and aggravated assault Tuesday and was sentenced to 11 1/2 to 23 months in prison.

The rapper could possibly be out of jail in a few months because of time already served in prison. The rapper has been incarcerated since June.

At the non-jury trial, Common Pleas Judge Jane Cutler Greenspan said that rapper was negligent in providing guns to assailants that eventually killed Desmond Hawkins, a 22-year-old Philadelphia man.

"You could be a leader in the community," Greenspan said according to the Associated Press. "All those guns - that's why Desmond is gone now, because of all those guns."

In court, the rapper expressed remorse for the crime. "It's a tragic situation for me too. I didn't set up for this to happen. Desmond Hawkins was my friend ... one of my closest friends,” he told the judge.

The murder trial of Philadelphia rapper Cassidy started on Monday Jan. 24, were the rapper was accused of first-degree murder in relation to an April 2005 slaying.

In June, Cassidy was arrested and charged with the murder of Hawkins. Cassidy surrendered to authorities in June of 2005, a week before the release of his sophomore album, I'ma Hustla.

Prosecutors claimed the rapper planned the murder by placing four of his associates in positions to attack his rivals.

His accusers concur Cassidy was more than prepared - as they said they discovered almost 80 unspent cartridges of various calibers in his home, near the shooting. Prosecutors claimed that Roberto Johnson, an associate of Hawkins, fought with one of Cassidy's associates earlier in the day in front of a Rite-Aid drug store.

Seeking retaliation for the altercation earlier in the day, Johnson testified the he, along with Hawkins, Daniel Irvin, 22, and 21-year-old Bobby Hoyle went to Cassidy's home.

Johnson testified he was not in the van because he was urinating in a nearby back yard. He heard the gunshots and ducked behind a car.

Ballistic evidence recovered at the scene found that 30 shots were fired at the van from an area near Cassidy's home, while 12 shots came from inside the van.

Johnson testified that he was unarmed and the he had seen only one gun in the van. He said he sold the weapon after the shooting.

Responding to the allegations, Cassidy's lawyer Fortunato Perri. Jr. suggested Johnson may have fired first as he was outside the van.

In July of 2005, prosecution witness Joseph Newkirk recanted his statements to police that he witnessed Cassidy firing a gun. In court on Monday, Newkirk alleged police detectives told him what to say.

In August, Cassidy's charge was reduced to a third-degree murder charge, but the decision was appealed to a higher court and the first-degree murder charge was reinstated.

"almost 80 unspent cartridges of various calibers in his home, near the shooting."

sad

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 01:26 AM
k00L kiD is currently offline Click here to Send k00L kiD a Private Message Find more posts by k00L kiD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Re: Cassidy Found Guilty of Manslaughter

Originally posted by NewJERU

Daamn, yo that's some s***!

ye, I forgot that he had a murder beef, thanks for the news, NewJERU.

Wow.. wow.

But now you know when he gets out in a couple of months he's gonna come out with some s***, and rap about it, do mad interviews, he's gonna capitalize. This may be a career highlight for him, to bad it's under cold circumstances.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 02:31 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BALLER STATUS IV LIFE

damn baby thats another black man lost

sad

DarkCrawler >>> Your Favorite Sig-Maker

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 02:47 AM
#16 is currently offline Click here to Send #16 a Private Message Find more posts by #16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D00m
Smackrobiotic

ROFL @ career highlight. How sad is that.

This is Hip-Hop: A Tribe Called Quest / Big Daddy Kane / De La Soul / Common Sense / Organized Konfusion / Eric B. & Rakim / Marley Marl / The Pharcyde / Public Enemy / Boogie Down Productions / EPMD / Kool G Rap / Brand Nubian / Grandmaster Flash and The Furious 5 / NWA / Main Source / KMD / Farm Fresh / Wu-Tang / Gang Starr / Cormega / Freestyle Fellowship / Pete Rock & CL Smooth / Juice Crew / KRS-One / The Roots / Ultramagnetic MC's / Jungle Brothers / Blackalicious / John Smith / MF Doom / El-P / Supastition / mcenroe / Qwel / Cannibal Ox / Madlib / Company Flow / Black Star / Mr. Lif / Brother Ali / J-Live / O.C. / Count Bass D / I Self Devine

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 03:24 AM
D00m is currently offline Click here to Send D00m a Private Message Find more posts by D00m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D00m
Smackrobiotic

Originally posted by #16
damn baby thats another black man lost

sad

What does that mean?

This is Hip-Hop: A Tribe Called Quest / Big Daddy Kane / De La Soul / Common Sense / Organized Konfusion / Eric B. & Rakim / Marley Marl / The Pharcyde / Public Enemy / Boogie Down Productions / EPMD / Kool G Rap / Brand Nubian / Grandmaster Flash and The Furious 5 / NWA / Main Source / KMD / Farm Fresh / Wu-Tang / Gang Starr / Cormega / Freestyle Fellowship / Pete Rock & CL Smooth / Juice Crew / KRS-One / The Roots / Ultramagnetic MC's / Jungle Brothers / Blackalicious / John Smith / MF Doom / El-P / Supastition / mcenroe / Qwel / Cannibal Ox / Madlib / Company Flow / Black Star / Mr. Lif / Brother Ali / J-Live / O.C. / Count Bass D / I Self Devine

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 03:25 AM
D00m is currently offline Click here to Send D00m a Private Message Find more posts by D00m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

I'd say it's a safe bet that the victim, Desmond Hawkins, was a black man.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 03:43 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by D00m
What does that mean?

I think he either meant the victim killed or Cassidy himself for deciding to take that path. I'd say 2 brovas lost.

And the career highlight thing, Pac used it to his advantage when he got clapped up and when he shot them off duty Jakes and repeatedly rapped about it on different joints time and again. 50 capitalized too, that's all he would talk about on interviews, his music. You know, showing his bullet wounds. Snoop came out wit "murder was the case" during or after that murder beef he had.

They all capitalized. Hey it's grimy but it pays. Violence sells probably just as well as sex does.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 04:31 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:

So, he was pissed off and pulled out a piece, shot and killed a guy, but on accident? I want this guy's defense attorney because I'm greedy, and want to accidently knock off a few banks. Hookaniggaup!

This ****in' guy's name is Barry. I think that's equivalent to a life sentence in itself.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Jan 25th, 2006 at 08:28 AM

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 08:23 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
k00L kiD
life is a dream

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
This ****in' guy's name is Barry. I think that's equivalent to a life sentence in itself.

laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 01:49 PM
k00L kiD is currently offline Click here to Send k00L kiD a Private Message Find more posts by k00L kiD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Great, now another lame contribution to "music" has another 3 albums worth of how he went to jail.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 02:16 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Great, now another lame contribution to "music" has another 3 albums worth of how he went to jail.

-AC

lol na.

I think Cassidy's kinda nice. It's just that he's gonna be mad predictable with his flow now so it's not gonna be that appealing. Well, to most it'll will be cause the fans will love it.

Hey like I said, if it made more money for 50, Snoop and Pac, then it'll make Cassidy mad money. And he was already popular too, gettin' airplay on multiple songs and everything, even till this day, and he'll probably get even more airplay. And that last album might sell more too.

That's business, baby.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 03:06 PM
Deathblow
-

It's not music, though.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 03:10 PM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

So? I don't give a shit about business. If you have to go to jail for manslaughter and it's considered good business, then both you and your fans are idiots.

Cassidy hasn't been good since his very early Ruff Ryders days and even then he was only good at freeing or battling. Like Jin and so many others, producers heard him battle and thought he'd be great, gave him a record deal and he put out a shit album. A born MC can battle well, a born battler can't creatively MC half the time.

All the best battlers were writing actual rhymes before they began battling.

There are too many idiots out there who are impressed by semi-coherent similies in battle rhymes.

Eg: That Cassidy line "You get pissed on like pregancy tests." So? He's just saying the man is shit. It's not a good line. "My gun is like my dick, bigger than usual." So what? Why does that make Freeway look bad? It's a battle, not a masturbating contest.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Jan 25th, 2006 at 03:15 PM

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 03:13 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

-AC
ouch laughing

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 05:58 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

So? I don't give a shit about business. If you have to go to jail for manslaughter and it's considered good business, then both you and your fans are idiots.

Cassidy hasn't been good since his very early Ruff Ryders days and even then he was only good at freeing or battling. Like Jin and so many others, producers heard him battle and thought he'd be great, gave him a record deal and he put out a shit album. A born MC can battle well, a born battler can't creatively MC half the time.

All the best battlers were writing actual rhymes before they began battling.

There are too many idiots out there who are impressed by semi-coherent similies in battle rhymes.

Eg: That Cassidy line "You get pissed on like pregancy tests." So? He's just saying the man is shit. It's not a good line. "My gun is like my dick, bigger than usual." So what? Why does that make Freeway look bad? It's a battle, not a masturbating contest.

-AC

ha ha

1st off, I never said I condoned a criminal lifestyle as good advertisement for an album or someones music. I think it's low when it's abused. I'm plainly sayin' that it happens that way.

And you yourself are an idiot if think the music business isn't primarily about the money; commerciality, even moreso now. That's why I don't listen to practically any of the s*** heads drop now, cause it's all about the BS.

And Casiddy was nice in his early Ruff Ryder days tru but that's really the last time I heard his s*** with interest, unless someone else had him on, on some radio or something, flippin' it. And that's what I was referring to as him still probably being nice.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 06:01 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Another Rapper in trouble with the law.

I keep telling you....DA MAN is responsible.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 06:14 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
And you yourself are an idiot if think the music business isn't primarily about the money; commerciality, even moreso now. That's why I don't listen to practically any of the s*** heads drop now, cause it's all about the BS.

I don't care or deny what the music BUSINESS is about, but that's not all there is. If it's all you know then I suggest you go educate yourself on real music then come back and have a chat with me after.

If you're gonna call him a good business man because he indirectly achieves publicity off the back of being incarcerated, then you're a moron.

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
And Casiddy was nice in his early Ruff Ryder days tru but that's really the last time I heard his s*** with interest, unless someone else had him on, on some radio or something, flippin' it. And that's what I was referring to as him still probably being nice.

Isn't it a bit of a flawed logic to assume someone is still the same or as good?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 06:19 PM