KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Could Guns n Roses....

Could Guns n Roses....
Started by: BobbyD

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Could Guns n Roses....

...have been one of a handful of the greatest bands that ever was. I mean, it is possible to have included them with the same names as The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, PFloyd, The Who...with the best of the best if they didn't implode?

My personal feeling is they were on that path. Thoughts? confused

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 04:31 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I think you can do it now, seeing how it is so totally subjective and I'd totally put The Smiths in their while others wouldn't. Oh, also, good job leaving out the Beatles...think that will keep that argument from happening, huh...huh? Well, no it won't..cause the Beatles are overrated.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 04:39 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

I've never been a huge fan of Gn'R. They sort of just seem like an inferior Van Halen. Some of their songs are overrated and played far too much. It's funny because Sweet Child of Mine has become pretty much their most popular song because of it's opening riff but at the same time Slash himself doesn't like it. My only problem with the band itself is Axl Rose with his whiney voice.

Everything else is fine. I wouldn't say their one of the greatest bands who've ever existed. They do have some decent songs though.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 04:41 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think you can do it now, seeing how it is so totally subjective and I'd totally put The Smiths in their while others wouldn't. Oh, also, good job leaving out the Beatles...think that will keep that argument from happening, huh...huh? Well, no it won't..cause the Beatles are overrated.

laughing out loud

You do know how much I love my Beatles, don't you Bardock?

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 04:49 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by BobbyD
laughing out loud

You do know how much I love my Beatles, don't you Bardock?

No, I assume you do like them a real lot. I can understand it, they are excellent.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 04:53 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Anyone notice that all the bands BobbyD listed are from the UK? Except Gn'R of course.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 04:56 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by §P0oONY
Anyone notice that all the bands BobbyD listed are from the UK? Except Gn'R of course.

Of course, the UK makes better music. Well, at least they make the better music for my taste. Well at least they did prior to the 90's. And most people would not consider Bands after that to be "The greatest Bands that ever were". Except for AC with Radiohead of course.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 04:59 PM
§P0oONY

Radiohead are class but you're right, the UK hasn't produced much in the way of influential music for a while.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 05:04 PM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Originally posted by §P0oONY

What can I say, they've left a more historic mark on music. Outside of The Beach Boys, Ray Charles, Jimi, Elvis, James Brown, Dylan, and a handful of others there is a drop off.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 05:23 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Considering 99% of their praise comes off the back of Appetite for Destruction, I'd say they're a good band.

They're criminally overrated, but they're a good band. They're a band that will continually top "Best Rock Album" polls, but they're a choice I can tolerate. One of those mainstream bands that people think they're credible for liking, but also do happen to be good.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 08:04 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
They're criminally overrated, but they're a good band. They're a band that will continually top "Best Rock Album" polls, but they're a choice I can tolerate. One of those mainstream bands that people think they're credible for liking, but also do happen to be good.

-AC

Kinda like Nirvana...

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 08:06 PM
Kid Kurdy

Re: Could Guns n Roses....

Originally posted by BobbyD
...have been one of a handful of the greatest bands that ever was. I mean, it is possible to have included them with the same names as The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, PFloyd, The Who...with the best of the best if they didn't implode?

My personal feeling is they were on that path. Thoughts? confused

Not even close, but that's of course my own humble opinion.

They have a few good songs though, too bad Axl has an awful voice. He gave the word "screaming" a bad name.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 08:13 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Considering 99% of their praise comes off the back of Appetite for Destruction, I'd say they're a good band.

-AC

Agreed,
And they have Slash...

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 08:14 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpaceMonkey
Project Mayhem

They're definitely up there as far as one of the most notorious ever.

"Put him in a straightjacket, the man's sick!"

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 08:21 PM
SpaceMonkey is currently offline Click here to Send SpaceMonkey a Private Message Find more posts by SpaceMonkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord S
King

They were really good until they started singing totally pussified songs like 'November Rain' (awesome video, though), but still remained pretty good. After the break-up and reassembling with these Johnny-come-latelies, they are a joke.

Overall I'd say they're definitely in the top ten.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 09:20 PM
Lord S is currently offline Click here to Send Lord S a Private Message Find more posts by Lord S Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

November Rain has 2 beautiful Slash solos too. smile

Old Post Nov 15th, 2006 09:30 PM
reggie_jax
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bardock42
Of course, the UK makes better music. Well, at least they make the better music for my taste. Well at least they did prior to the 90's. And most people would not consider Bands after that to be "The greatest Bands that ever were". Except for AC with Radiohead of course.
all germans should rep kraut rock. mad

Old Post Nov 16th, 2006 06:30 AM
reggie_jax is currently offline Click here to Send reggie_jax a Private Message Find more posts by reggie_jax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by reggie_jax
all germans should rep kraut rock. mad

Woah, woah, woah...I'm German...and white..and upper middle class...I have no clue what the **** you just said.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2006 09:14 AM
baracustastic
I aint gettin on no plane

Appetite for Destruction is the best album ever in my opinion.

It is better than most bands' best ofs.

Entirely subjective though.

Americans add throwing, pads, alter the length of the game etc, i.e. change it completely yet still call it football.

Then they call the original soccer, and expect the rest of the world to adopt this bastard name. Pish.

From hence forth American football shall be known as "soccer." by me.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2006 11:59 PM
baracustastic is currently offline Click here to Send baracustastic a Private Message Find more posts by baracustastic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SeverianB
Smelly Butt Air

Guns and Roses had one of the best Albums EVER Made.

They were great. Burned bright and burned out.

At least we got to see Stephanie Seymour in that HAWT wedding dress in the November Rain video. I will show that video to my son when he is old enough, to keep him hetero. It's a surefire idea.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2006 03:59 AM
SeverianB is currently offline Click here to Send SeverianB a Private Message Find more posts by SeverianB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote