KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Amy Winehouse

Amy Winehouse
Started by: The Core

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Amy Winehouse

Her new album is plastered all over this week's ads, so I gave her a listen. She reminds me of a really dark Diana Ross/Supremes, with a little Dangermouse production flavor.

Unfortunately for her, I think her sound is a little too dated to sell albums to anyone outside of the Norah Jones/Lily Allen demographic.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2007 01:58 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

"Blues" for people who don't have a clue what "Blues" is.

Another British export that Americans will swallow. It never seems to end.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Mar 12th, 2007 02:00 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Amazon brought up both Joss Stone and Lily Allen in a "similar artists" search. laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 12th, 2007 02:01 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

she was on the bbc sessions the other night...every song was exactly the same and you couldn't understand a single word she said or sang because she could barely stand up

her nasel whining is perhaps the most irritating noise i've ever had the misfortune of hearing in my life

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Mar 12th, 2007 09:14 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I caught the end of that sessions programme, it was just awful. Looked and sounded like she was drunk, or weak from being too thin...

Not a fan of her music at all.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2007 06:51 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
"Blues" for people who don't have a clue what "Blues" is.

Another British export that Americans will swallow. It never seems to end.

-AC

Hmm. I wouldn't consider her "Blues", and I'm not too sure what genre I'd put her in....

But I like her. I think she has a nice voice. I've only heard a couple songs so far, and I think I'd like to buy her CD.

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Nov 6th, 2007 09:33 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

She's probably jazz if anything.

Not a bad singer (when she is singing properly); certainly better than most identikit shit ones who get less flak just because they are generic.

Last edited by Victor Von Doom on Nov 6th, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Old Post Nov 6th, 2007 10:03 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Punkyhermy
like memory in motion

ew.she is all things gross.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2007 06:12 PM
Punkyhermy is currently offline Click here to Send Punkyhermy a Private Message Find more posts by Punkyhermy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

H-how did it happen that Lily Allen and Norah Jones were mentioned together there?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2007 06:39 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Amy Winehouse really isn't a talent. Maybe after she gets some help with her drug problem then she can become a better singer.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Nov 12th, 2007 10:53 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Drug problems and lack of talent don't necessarily go together.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2007 11:35 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Drug problems and lack of talent don't necessarily go together.

-AC
Of course it does. Gerard Way said so.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2007 11:50 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Every song sounds the same....,uninspired and adolescant. She does seem to have a good jazz voice though. To bad she doesnt know what she is doing.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2007 02:39 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

Originally posted by Bardock42
Of course it does. Gerard Way said so.

Take THAT! wink

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Nov 14th, 2007 03:13 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
She's probably jazz if anything.

Excuse me, What?

Old Post Nov 15th, 2007 05:54 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Every song sounds the same....,uninspired and adolescant. She does seem to have a good jazz voice though. To bad she doesnt know what she is doing.

Well, apparently every song is completely truthful, and "brutally honest", for she's written about what she's experienced and been through.

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Nov 15th, 2007 06:11 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by vanice
Excuse me, What?

If you're one of those jazz fans who thinks anything that isn't Miles Davis is therefore not jazz, might as well stop.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2007 06:12 PM
vanice
traceur

Hell no, it's just that I don't find enough jazz elements in her music to call it Jazz. And I listen to all kinds of jazz.. I also study jazz guitar in school so I think I can say that I know a lot about it.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2007 06:42 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nobody said her music was jazz.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2007 07:59 PM
vanice
traceur

Huh? Victor said "She's probably jazz if anything" How can you interpret that except that he thinks her music is jazz?

Old Post Nov 15th, 2007 08:57 PM