KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Is rock dead and/or dying?

Is rock dead and/or dying?
Started by: Nellinator

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Is rock dead and/or dying?

It has been a long time since rock has had anything truly groundbreaking occur. Solid rock bands are few and far between. So talk about rock bands since the mid-nineties that are keeping the rock in rock these days.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 05:49 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightningrod
gay o' time

I am sorry but rock isnt dead for me
I am listening to some classic rock right now
Rush

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 05:55 AM
Lightningrod is currently offline Click here to Send Lightningrod a Private Message Find more posts by Lightningrod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't think any genre dies.

I think people just remember the amazing bands that came out of the 90s and assume that they all released albums every year, every day. It obviously goes in cycles.

You always discover new music, or older music that comes from a time when you thought a certain kind of music was dead.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 05:56 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lightningrod
I am sorry but rock isnt dead for me
I am listening to some classic rock right now
Rush
I'm talking about modern music not really making a lot of progress in rock anymore. Of course classic rock is still rocking, it's my favourite thing to listen to.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 05:57 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Wålshy~
Restricted

Account Restricted

foo fighters are still making good music

the pretender is awsome

Thanks to That AC/DC Chick <3

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 05:59 AM
~Wålshy~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Wålshy~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Wålshy~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I don't think any genre dies.

I think people just remember the amazing bands that came out of the 90s and assume that they all released albums every year, every day. It obviously goes in cycles.

You always discover new music, or older music that comes from a time when you thought a certain kind of music was dead.

-AC
You have you really enjoyed that started after the Britpop wave? All I've really been finding is the industry over-saturated with mediocre indie bands. Muse and Morning Jacket are all that really come to mind for me. And the latter is not that great.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 06:04 AM
~Wålshy~
Restricted

Account Restricted

so is there a date when the new gnr album is coming out?

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 06:07 AM
~Wålshy~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Wålshy~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Wålshy~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Originally posted by the welsh one
so is there a date when the new gnr album is coming out?
Never is what I say. Likewise GNR is a hold over from an older era. I'm talking about new sprouting bands.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 06:16 AM
~Wålshy~
Restricted

Account Restricted

my friends band are kinda uprising

listen to their music on myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...endid=187450807

they won a competition in school and recorded a cd

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 06:26 AM
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

That is actually very decent for a high school band. If they continue to improve they could well end with a record deal.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 06:35 AM
~Wålshy~
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nellinator
That is actually very decent for a high school band. If they continue to improve they could well end with a record deal.

ye they got a gig on the 7th october in the apollo, porthcawl
so things are going preety good with them. im good mates with the drummer so if they keep on improving maybe i could live of him laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 06:38 AM
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Tell the drummer he's got to get a bit heavier and be a little more creative with his hands. His bass drum isn't thick enough for my tastes, but that could just be the recording. All around very good for a first recording.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 06:40 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

You have you really enjoyed that started after the Britpop wave? All I've really been finding is the industry over-saturated with mediocre indie bands. Muse and Morning Jacket are all that really come to mind for me. And the latter is not that great.

I've enjoyed a great many rock albums this year.

It's not dead, maybe just changing in a way you dislike.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 06:48 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I've enjoyed a great many rock albums this year.

It's not dead, maybe just changing in a way you dislike.

-AC
Like?

Also, I forgot about Spiritual Beggars. They are one of my favourite bands. One of the few new ones I like. Audioslave was pretty good, White Stripes are okay. Most of that garage rock revival stuff is pretty much generic garbage though.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 07:17 AM
Pezmerga
Black Knight

The White Stripes are a pretty multi-faceted band. I don't think you can lump them in with anybody, i.e. "Garage rock revival garbage".

I've listened to plenty great rock albums this year....
Rush - Snake and Arrows, Tomahawk - Anonymous, QOTSA - Era Vulgaris, Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Black Planet, and The Whitestripes - Icky Thump to name a few.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:10 PM
Pezmerga is currently offline Click here to Send Pezmerga a Private Message Find more posts by Pezmerga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Like?

Also, I forgot about Spiritual Beggars. They are one of my favourite bands. One of the few new ones I like. Audioslave was pretty good, White Stripes are okay. Most of that garage rock revival stuff is pretty much generic garbage though.

You have different taste to me, so obviously we'll enjoy different albums.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:21 PM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

How does dead and dying work then?

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:30 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

Re: Is rock dead and/or dying?

It has been a long time since rock has had anything truly groundbreaking occur. Solid rock bands are few and far between. So talk about rock bands since the mid-nineties that are keeping the rock in rock these days.

I don't think it's dying, but just changing. I don't really enjoy the direction its been taking, but soon we'll hopefully have some better stuff, more original stuff popping in soon.

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 07:05 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

The Chili Peppers are still alive and well

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 08:57 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

They're basically being artificially preserved, though.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 09:38 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote