KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Is it necessary for Force users to have to use their hands when using the force?

Is it necessary for Force users to have to use their hands when using the force?
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

Is it necessary for Force users to have to use their hands when using the force?

Im just asking because I remember Luke using the Force in Return/Jedi, as if it was telepathic, on C-3PO while on that chair in the scene where Luke tried to help C-3PO convince the Ewoks that he was an upset God.

Like say could've Count Dooku broke the metal platform in ep. 3 down onto Obi Wan by just mentally using the Force with no hand gestures?

Or could Force push be mentally done with no hand gestures. I always wanted to know...

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 05:32 PM
Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gryn Jabar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Probably just concentration, just that when uses the hands, it allows onself to concentrate more.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 05:51 PM
Click here to Send Gryn Jabar a Private Message Find more posts by Gryn Jabar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Probably more like a feeling of self assurance and not so much neccessary. Theatrically, it's interesting. When you think of lifting things, choking people, or obliterating the enemy with a blast of energy, do you not see yourself raising your hand?

Also, it's probably a signal during the scene for others to "react" to force feats that are edited in later, or perhaps even to rehearse without visible special effects.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 05:58 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tru_Slice
Pun not included

What if you wanna turn off the TV using the force?

Do you point at it?

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 07:12 PM
Click here to Send Tru_Slice a Private Message Find more posts by Tru_Slice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

No, I click the remote and save my Force powers for Persuading my date to pay more attention to me.

Oops... was that out loud?

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 09:42 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tru_Slice
Pun not included

Hope you're not watching TV while you're on a date...

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 09:46 PM
Click here to Send Tru_Slice a Private Message Find more posts by Tru_Slice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Meh, if her personality sucks, watching a movie at home is a good excuse to let your hands do the talking.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 09:53 PM
Tru_Slice
Pun not included

...while using the force

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 09:57 PM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Yup. Force spank is a real winner.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 09:58 PM
CobbleR
Kielbasa Sausage

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Deus Ex
Yup. Force spank is a real winner.

I have to remember that for my next date.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 10:23 PM
Click here to Send CobbleR a Private Message Find more posts by CobbleR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Veav

No, I click the remote and save my Force powers for Persuading my date to pay more attention to me.

Oops... was that out loud?

Janus: *Uses Jedi Mind Trick* You love me
Date: I love you...
Janus: You will go to my house
Date: I will go to your house
Janus: We'll have fun there...
Date: I will have fun in your house.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 10:37 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Veav a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Veav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 11:45 PM
Lucius
Unknown

(please log in to view the image)
Lol! Damn that is funny.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2005 01:59 AM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

Using their hands probably just helps the Jedi channel their powers better.

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Oct 24th, 2005 12:31 PM
Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Can't imagine how.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2005 03:14 PM
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

Re: Is it necessary for Force users to have to use their hands when using the force?

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Im just asking because I remember Luke using the Force in Return/Jedi, as if it was telepathic, on C-3PO while on that chair in the scene where Luke tried to help C-3PO convince the Ewoks that he was an upset God.

Like say could've Count Dooku broke the metal platform in ep. 3 down onto Obi Wan by just mentally using the Force with no hand gestures?

Or could Force push be mentally done with no hand gestures. I always wanted to know...

Any kind of levitation can be done without hand gestures. In ESB you see Luke levitating stones and R2 while doing a handstand. Vader throws some things at Luke during their duel in ESB without making hand gestures. Other powers like force jumps, force speed and so on don't seem to requite gestures.

Force lightning of course can only be done with a handmovment ("aiming") but for the rest I'd say it only has some "dramatical" effect. For example Luke force chokes the Ghamorrean guards at the beginning of ROTJ points and the first one and still force chockes the first while pointing to the second one.

I mean...come on...it would look very stupid when force users would just stand around doing nothing while dropping stuff on their opponents, force push them around or do things like that.

"Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?"

Old Post Oct 24th, 2005 05:50 PM
Click here to Send Nai a Private Message Find more posts by Nai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

Re: Is it necessary for Force users to have to use their hands when using the force?

Just like the crazy dutch television medium who uses her hands to channel her mystical force powers to heal, maybe she can do it without hands too! eek!

But anyway, who cares?? eek!

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Oct 24th, 2005 05:55 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

quote:
I mean...come on...it would look very stupid when force users would just stand around doing nothing while dropping stuff on their opponents,

Good way to have fun in the middle of a crowd, though! laughing out loud

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 24th, 2005 06:13 PM
Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Re: Re: Is it necessary for Force users to have to use their hands when using the force?

Originally posted by Nai Fohl
I mean...come on...it would look very stupid when force users would just stand around doing nothing while dropping stuff on their opponents, force push them around or do things like that.

I actually think i'd be and look rather cool to just use force powers and just sit or stand there, kicking ass without breaking a sweat.

I think it would be more intimidating to use the force without using hand gestures to me. You could thoughtfully kick a guys ass, lol

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 24th, 2005 06:27 PM
Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
keiran78
Jedi Knight Errant

No. The hand motion is just a focusing tool.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2005 09:17 PM
Click here to Send keiran78 a Private Message Find more posts by keiran78 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote