KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Theory concerning Nihilus

Theory concerning Nihilus
Started by: NewGuy01

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NewGuy01
perpetual

Theory concerning Nihilus

So there's been a good amount of threads popping up in the last week or so centralizing Darth Nihilus, and like

always they have formed into a somewhat controversial subject. This is likely because he, like many things in

Knights of the Old Republic 2, is an abnormality in the mythos--we really don't see any others with traits quite

like his. I myself have tried to explain how he fits into the mythos, but ultimately tend to lose interest.

Regardless, I've found myself looking through these debates, like most others, and a couple of things I read struck

me as peculiar, and I centralized on details that I believe have gone unnoticed. After doing a bit of research,

I've developed theories about the mechanics of many of his traits, the most prominent being his "world devouring".

I'm not about try to write these ideas off as factual, but I find them intriguing and would like to share my

hypotheses with you guys, and see what you make of them.

Ultimately, what sparked this thought was a excerpt from the Complete Star Wars Encyclopeida:

"In the meantime, Darth Nihilus led his Sith forces from his flagship, the Ravager, drawing more and more power

from worlds that he blasted into ruin."

This was brought up as evidence that Nihilus was not starved by the time of his arrival at telos, but what struck

me as peculiar was the last sentence:

"drawing more and more power from worlds he blasted into ruin."

What immediately crossed my mind after reading this was a question I had been asked a while back concerning the

comic that described the ravaging of Katarr, pertaining to this scan:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads...79779-15732.jpg

If you look at the panels, there is clearly an abundance of destruction and devastation during Nihilus's raid of

Katarr, which I wasn't able to explain-but coincidentally fits with the above quote.

Force Drain as it is described cannot cause the physical devastation shown in the panels, but a fleet of ships

certainly can. Now the question is, what does this mean? What would be the purpose of blasting a world into ruin

when your objective is to feed yourself on the inhabitants of it's surface? Why ravage Katarr when you have the

power to siphon the life essence of a world with a thought?

Maybe it's because the mechanic of Nihilus's world devouring was misinterperated.

Let's look at the source of Nihilus's ability. He's a wound in the Force, a status that only has two other

confirmed bearers--Malachor, and Meetra Surik.

"His power is great, and it comes from hunger. He is a wound in the Force, more presence than flesh,"

-Visas Marr

"He was created when Malachor V was torn apart, and he was intended as the Exile's other half, one that took a

more self-destructive path rather than denying the Force during that battle that ended the Mandalorian Wars"

-Chris Avelone

If we look carefully at the characteristics of a Wound in the Force, there is another possible explanation. To

start, let's inspect Meetra Surik--Nihilus's closest "relative" in his condition--and her abilities.

"He's right. It's... All the deaths you've caused to get here. You feed on it, and you grow stronger.

You're like Malachor... It's in you, it's what you are now. You must have noticed as you've fought across all these

planets, killing hundreds, only to grow more and more powerful. Why do you think that was?"

-Zez-Kai Ell

You see, if you analyse the traits of Force Wounds in the Exile, there are two things that come to the forefront.

Her ability to cipher Force Bonds, and the ability to feed on the deaths she caused. We will adress the first in

relation to Nihilus later, but the second is what stands out--Meetra did not consciously apply a technique that

drain's one's vitality, but instead fed on the deaths of those she killed.

Darth Traya's description of the technique also matches this concept:

"It is a technique that is almost as old as the Sith themselves…it is a means of severing connections between

life, the Force, and feeding upon the death it causes. It cannot be taught…it can only be gained through

instinct, through experiencing its effects, first-hand."

Looking at this data, a possible hypothisis could be that perhaps Nihilus's devouring of worlds is performed by

blasting the worlds into ruin with his fleet, and feeding on the deaths of those felled.

Now, the real question to be asked is how a mechanic like this would work. Well first, let it be noted again that

Nihilus's power stems from his status as a wound, an echo of the wound on Malachor:

"He's right. It's... All the deaths you've caused to get here. You feed on it, and you grow stronger. You're

like Malachor... It's in you, it's what you are now.
You must have noticed as you've fought across all these

planets, killing hundreds, only to grow more and more powerful. Why do you think that was?"

-Zez-Kai Ell

They are symptomatic of the wound in the Force. You are a breach that must be closed. You transmit your pain,

your suffering through the Force.
"

-Vrook Lamar

So, if Nihilus is synonymous to Meetra, his abilities too stem from echoing the effects of Malachor. And now,

viewing descriptions of Malachor V, it interestingly has a very similar description to that of Meetra's traits:

"There is a place in the galaxy where the dark side of the Force runs strong. It is something of the Sith, but

it was fueled by war. It corrupts all that walks on its surface—drowns them in the power of the dark side. It

corrupts all life, and it feeds on death."

-Darth Traya

So a reasonable theory is that Nihilus is echoing and transmitting the effects of Malachor, a wound in the Force

that feeds on death. Feeding on death in itself is a difficult concept to wrap one's head around sensibly, but

something that struck me as interestingly similar was actually from the first KotOR game:

"I have not let them become one with the Force. Instead I have brought them here. The Star Forge

corrupts what remains of their power
and transfers the dark taint to me!"

-Darth Malak

To corrupt the dying's connection to the force, and then feeding on the remaining dark taint to me seems to be a

similar notion to what's being described above. And again, coincidentally, Malachor is also described to having a

somewhat similar effect:

"There is a place in the galaxy where the dark side of the Force runs strong. It is something of the Sith, but

it was fueled by war. It corrupts all that walks on its surface—drowns them in the power of the dark side. It

corrupts all life, and it feeds on death.
"

-Darth Traya

While this is something of a stretch, a possible explanation for this phenomenon is that Nihilus and Meetra in

projecting the corrupting power of Malachor taints the force in those they kill, and then they feed on that power.

This is just an idea, though.

A final piece of information supporting the theory that the worlds themselves are ravaged by Nihilus's fleet is

something Visas Marr said in the aforementioned comic strip:

"That is because my lord came for the last one himself."

The fact that it's notable it was *him* who came to (as Visas likely presumed) kill the last sentinent on Katarr, could be a support for this concept.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 06:30 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

That will wrap up my theory concerning the mechanics of Nihilus's "world devouring". As I mentioned at the

introduction to the thread, this is simply an interesting concept I've come up with and isn't necessarily to be

taken too seriously. With that out of the way, I'd like to also showcase another interesting thing I found in

regards to the subject.

As I mentioned earlier, Meetra's status as a wound in the Force has two main effects on her--Her ability to feed on

the those she kills, and her ability to rapidly and spontaneously produce Force Bonds. The latter effect may also

relate to Nihilus in a fashion unlrelated to the mechanics of his feeding. Let's take a look at a description of

the effects caused by the Exile's spontaneous generation of Force Bonds:

"You are a cipher, forming bonds, leeching the life of others, siphoning their wills and dominating

them.
It is the teaching of these new Sith, to feed on others, on other Force Sensitives. They are

symptomatic of the wound in the Force.
You are a breach that must be closed. You transmit your pain, your

suffering through the Force."

-Vrook Lamar

Here we see Vrook explaining how the bond-effect is caused by the wound in the Force within Meetra, and what it

results in. "Siphoning [her companion's] wills and dominating them,". As a more intense and self-destructive

version of Meetra [according to the earlier provided quote by Avellone], this is an effect that Nihilus should also

share, but to an even greater extent. It just so happens that it does:

"Nihilus powers grew so extreme that, for most beings, mere exposure to the Sith Lord would cause immediate

and utterly mindless devotion
."

-Star Wars Insider 88

Nihilus's presence causes immediate and utterly mindless devotion--It's very likely that this effect is produced because of the wound's ability to uncontrollably bond to other beings, in a very similar parallel to Meetra and her companions. This would also go hand in hand with the concept that he constantly feeds on those around him, drawing on those bonds in the Force.

If any of you made it to the end, here, then I hope it was worth it! I appreciate you taking the time to listen to my crazy old ramblings. Alright, well, it's late now--Goodnight KMC.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 06:30 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arhael
Devoid of reality

I brought it up some time ago. Quote about Katarr being "blasted" and comics showing physical devastation of Katarr was my very basis to speculate that Nihilus used orbital bombarding, rather than Force drain.

At most it is some sort of destructive ritual but not Force drain and there is no proof that Nihilus can utilize it in combat.

Also, Force wound is a non-existant concept outside of Kotor II.
Leia and Vader experienced much worst Force disturbance in ANH and no wound was caused. Leia didn't even feel the disturbance, Nihilus wasn't a Jedi either, so how did he become Force wound, if he couldn't even sense it?

Kyp Durron was on planet surface of Carrida System inside Sun Crusher, when it was destroyed. Malachor V is a child play comparing to disturbance caused at Carrida and Kyp did not become Force wound or suffered any sort of permanent mentality breakdown. And there are many other examples like this. So no wonder that Encyclopedia author did not take Kotor II seriously and wrote that the planet was blasted into ruin, not devoured.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 10:09 AM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Serious difference between those planets and the circumstantial event of Malachor V, let's analyse this:

Malachor V was a Sith world for a VERY long time, the academy there is ancient, there already exists a Dark Side nexus before the Mass Shadow Generators and the battle.

During the battle, hundreds of Jedi possibly even more, were on it's surface and almost the entire Mandalorian population. In the epicenter was Nihilus, or at least the man he was before this.

So all of those spirits that we know existed even during Meetra's attack on the Trayus Academy likely ripped apart the Force in whomever he once was. This left a hunger, just like Malachor, like Nathema in certain ways.

It is stated that Traya taught him how to harness this hunger, having the opposite effect of him being harnessed by his wound. She states it is a technique nearly as old as the Sith themselves, feeding on death.

I believe this was all a symptom of the situation:

An already powerful Dark Side nexus + 100s of Jedi being massacred + possibly even millions of Mandalorians + spirits latching on to anything they could find = Nihilus

Meetra subconsciously cut herself off from the Force, leaving a wound in her as well. This finally awoke when HK-50 massacred the staff on the Peragus Mining Facility.

Remember it is stated outright that the Jedi either 1.Went Dark Side or 2.Went insane and died.

Nihilus was created through circumstance and had to use specific techniques to harness his hunger, then became harnessed by his hunger.

I agree that destroying the worlds was likely done by his fleet, not he himself.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 10:50 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

You can see the buildings being destroyed by his attack in the image of Unseen, Unheard you posted. Where Nihilus' drain is the only thing taking place, not orbital bombardment. erm

This theory has no merit.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 11:07 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arhael
Devoid of reality

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
You can see the buildings being destroyed by his attack in the image of Unseen, Unheard you posted. Where Nihilus' drain is the only thing taking place, not orbital bombardment. erm

Force drain doesn't destroy buildings. And comic doesn't show that it was his attack that destroyed buildings.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 11:42 AM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Meetra status as a Wound also has nothing to do with her forming Force Bonds. That's all her in her natural state.

Just accept Nihilus as the god he is. Then you'll finally see.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 11:44 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by Arhael
Force drain doesn't destroy buildings. And comic doesn't show that it was his attack that destroyed buildings.

Dude, Visas flat out says it was not done with any machines or weapons.

Last edited by FreshestSlice on Sep 1st, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 11:50 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

(please log in to view the image)

Well then it's a good thing Nihilus doesn't use Force Drain, isn't it?

But you're totally right, I'm sure it was just shoddy construction or something. Dem lazy Miraluka, amiright?!

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 11:51 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arhael
Devoid of reality

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Dude, Visas flat out says it was not done with any machines or weapons.

Visas is blind, all she could do is feel countless deaths. By the way, why didn't she become wound in the Force?

quote:
Well then it's a good thing Nihilus doesn't use Force Drain, isn't it?

Wound in the Force allows Nihilus to feed on death of others. Nowhere it says that it allows him to ravage planet surfaces.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 01:30 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Well there is one quote saying he blasted them to ruins.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 01:36 PM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Visas is blind, all she could do is feel countless deaths. By the way, why didn't she become wound in the Force?

She's blind. Not stupid. I think if there were canon fire, she'd know. As to why she didn't become a Force Wound, why would she?
Wound in the Force allows Nihilus to feed on death of others. Nowhere it says that it allows him to ravage planet surfaces.

Nope, it's just said that he does. So I'm going to go with that he can.

Last edited by FreshestSlice on Sep 1st, 2014 at 01:48 PM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 01:45 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

How would Nihilus even specifically leave Visas alive if he just bombarded the place?

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 01:52 PM
Arhael
Devoid of reality

Well there is one quote saying he blasted them to ruins.

That doesn't say with what. You can blast things with blasters or ship turrets.

quote:
She's blind. Not stupid. I think if there were canon fire, she'd know. As to why she didn't become a Force Wound, why would she?

Orbital bombardment can happen kilometers away. All she would hear is chaotic noise of destruction wave.

Why wouldn't she? She is a woman that lost everything. Countless beings died around her. That's the right chemistry for Force wound and far worse than Malachor V.

quote:
How would Nihilus even specifically leave Visas alive if he just bombarded the place?

How would Nihilus even specifically leave Visas alive if he just consumed the place?

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 02:24 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

That doesn't say with what. You can blast things with blasters or ship turrets.

Sure, but theres **** all indicating he did it with those.

How would Nihilus even specifically leave Visas alive if he just consumed the place?

He has control over who he wants to consume and chose to spare her.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 02:26 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

"Amazingly dark and devastating powers are the purview of some of the greatest Sith Lords of the Knights of the Old Republic era. They devastate and consume entire worlds with a thought. [...] Average beings stand no chance of stopping these ultra-powerful monsters of the dark side....

Darth Nihilus is literally a destroyer of worlds, powered by an insatiable hunger that drives him to consume greater and greater populations."

―Power Beyond Belief: Using Ultra-Powerful Sith Lords in Saga Edition

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 02:50 PM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Orbital bombardment can happen kilometers away. All she would hear is chaotic noise of destruction wave.

Except you can clearly see her look up and see what happened before her eyes were ripped open. She'd know what was happening.
quote:

Why wouldn't she? She is a woman that lost everything. Countless beings died around her. That's the right chemistry for Force wound and far worse than Malachor V.

Not really. Nihilus was physically crushed and was destroyed himself, where as the Exile is the one who ordered all of those deaths. It's not really the same.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 02:52 PM
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Actually Kreia speculates on why Nihilius chose to spare her, she says that "Perhaps he is bonded to her, as i am to you" It's interesting to note, that Visas seems to be capable of still thinking for herself despite being around Nihilius. Maybe they somehow bonded during the bombardment of Katar?

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 04:04 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Well, the way she said it made it seem like she was the last survivor, and. Nihilus had come to finish her, but decided otherwise.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 05:21 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

So she just magically survived orbital bombardment without a scratch while everything around her was destroyed? Plausible.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2014 05:25 PM