KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » Final major project: Dreams and Nightmares

Final major project: Dreams and Nightmares
Started by: Lara

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lara
Belladonna

Final major project: Dreams and Nightmares

ok guys the reason I have put this in here is because this is where most of you post.
I need your input as research for my final major project at college. so please, please, PLEASE keep this sensible.
I've attached my project brief and would be greatful if you could help me out here.
thankies! *kisses* happy

PROPOSAL FOR FINAL MAJOR PROJECT
BETC National Diploma Fine Art Yr2

SECTION 1

i. DREAMS AND NIGHTMARES
ii. For the final major project I aim to produce a large mixed media canvas of two halves, depicting dreams and nightmares and the intriguingly strange occurrences and sights of which we all, at some time or another experience.
I aim to show how textures, colours and other everyday things that we come into contact with get mix-matched and jumbled when introduced in dreams.

SECTION 2

i. My influences for this subject come from a book that was recently bought for me, The Language of Dreams by David Fontana. Fontana discusses the conflicts between Freudian and Jungian beliefs about the origins of dreams and how in many different ways they can be interpreted. I myself have a history of highly strange dreams so this immediately came to mind when this final major project was announced. My starting point for this reason is my own dreams and nightmares. I plan to use The Language of Dreams as a reference book and may include some quotes on the canvas. Other historical and contextual references are:
o Louise Bourgeois (and other lesser known female surrealists)
o Dorothea Tanning
o Oskar Kokoschka
o Henri Rousseau
o Hieronymus Bosch
o Robert Rauschenberg
o Jackson Pollock and other Surrealists.

ii. I plan to research the following topics:
o Surrealism
o The Psychology of Dreams (in brief)
o Dream Interpretation
o Freudian and Jungian Theories
o Gothic Architecture
For these topics I will use:
o My own personal reference books
o The internet
o The college library
o My local library
I will also leave a message on the message boards at www.Killermovies.com asking the members about their dreams and how they as individuals interpret them.

SECTION 3

i. The different medias I have chosen to integrate into the canvas are painting, drawing, silk screening, relief and collage.
ii. The 6weeks we have for the final major project I have split up for different purposes. These are as follows:
o Week 1: Research
o Week 2: Development ideas for final piece
o Week 3: Development ideas for final piece
o Week 4: Start of final piece
o Week 5: Start of final piece
o Week 6: Finish final piece, start evaluation.

SECTION 4
Proposed method of evaluation

i. Self-evaluation, reviews from peers, lecturers and online review at the message boards. My own evaluation will be based on this prepared brief and the changes that may occur which will be recorded in a daily task diary.

Bibliography (short list)

o Dictionary of art and artists (the Thames and Hudson)
o Kokoschka (Anthony Bosman, Barnes & Noble)
o The Language of Dreams (David Fontana)

Google search engine:
Searches under:
o Sigmund Freud
o Gustave Jung
o Surrealism
o Jackson Pollock
o Dreams
o Dream interpretation
o Kokoschka
o Tanning
o Nightmares
o Bosch
o Dream psychology
o Bourgeois
o Chagall

be who you are not what they want you to be!

blessed be x

Old Post Jan 25th, 2005 11:31 AM
Lara is currently offline Click here to Send Lara a Private Message Find more posts by Lara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix Aska
<Insert title here>

You should ask Storm about this stuff!

She knew things about dreams and what meanings were...

I die in my dreams sometimes..it's eerie...

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 06:47 AM
Phoenix Aska is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix Aska a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Aska Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

I can't think of anything serious to say. So, I'll just say that. erm

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 06:52 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix Aska
<Insert title here>

well I got kind of confused with al the works cited and stuff but how are we suppose to help you Lara?

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 06:58 AM
Phoenix Aska is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix Aska a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Aska Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

This might help: One time in a dream I pinched myself to see if I was dreaming, and it hurt. So, that whole 'pinch yourself to see if you are dreaming' thingie is a fallacy. You my use that in your science experiment, Lara. If you want, you can leave me as a reference in the bibliography portion.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 07:04 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix Aska
<Insert title here>

ONe time I had a dream you know where you have like a nightmare and you wake up in bed only, you're still dreaming and you dreamed that you woke up...

dreams usually cut off at the best part too!

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 07:10 AM
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

quote:
[i]
dreams usually cut off at the best part too! [/B]

That reminds me of my Paris Hilton dream.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 07:13 AM
Phoenix Aska
<Insert title here>

whoa!

I've never had a dream with celebrities before..probably because I don't really fantasize about being with them but whatever...

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 07:16 AM
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

No silly! I dreamed that I WAS Paris Hilton! stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 07:18 AM
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

Some people's nerves are more sensitive to dream pain than others. For example, I dreamed that I got chopped in half by a extremely large broad axe and all I felt was a very irritating, almost ticklish sensation. While others would scream and grab their chest and cry.

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 08:41 AM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lara
Belladonna

ok this is a really personal thing I'm asking of you all. if you can help me that would be fantastic. basically I have creatively portray visual images from dreams giving hidden meanings to each image and media that I include. my dreams are strange enough but trying to recreate some one elses dream imagery is more challenging.
what I'm asking is that you describe your dreams in as much detail as possible and then say what you think the dream is trying to communicate to you. dreams are visual messages that more often that not dont make sense. if you'd rather not post here then you can always pm me.

note: all pm's will remain confidencial I'm not a gossip and I dont pride myself on spreading rumors, not my style.

thankies guys.

blessed be x

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 01:56 PM
Lara is currently offline Click here to Send Lara a Private Message Find more posts by Lara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix Aska
<Insert title here>

quote:
Originally posted by The Tired Hiker
No silly! I dreamed that I WAS Paris Hilton! stick out tongue

Oh..well that's differrent

lots of money and sex! laughing

I'll give you a pm next time I see ou on Lara...

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 06:17 PM
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

I had this dream 5 years ago, which somehow I still remember clearly.

I dreamt that me and the rest of the grade 5 class were in a big, somewhat crude, raft.
We went over a waterfall, but next thing I remember, we were hanging off by one rope, which snapped.
The class disappeared/dissolved, I found myself clutching a rope swinging out over a huge lake.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 06:29 PM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lara
Belladonna

what message do you think your dream was trying to give you, dark?

thanks P.A

blessed be x

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 09:48 PM
Lara
Belladonna

ppl round here dont seem to like me much! laughing out loud

blessed be x

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 10:07 PM
Phoenix Aska
<Insert title here>

hmmm I wouldn't say that Lara

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 10:17 PM
Lara
Belladonna

eh?

blessed be x

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 10:22 PM
Phoenix Aska
<Insert title here>

Nevermind..I don't have a clue what I'm talking about..it's not that they don't like you it's more like...they're not really interested in it...because of various reasons...

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 10:25 PM
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

I dunno what it means. Perhaps a downfall in life, but overcame it.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 10:29 PM
Phoenix Aska
<Insert title here>

Did anyone else survive in your dream dark?

Or did they go down the huge waterfall?

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 10:36 PM