KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » Are Spanish and Portuguese the same lauguage?

Are Spanish and Portuguese the same lauguage?
Started by: xyz revolution

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Are Spanish and Portuguese the same lauguage?

Or are they just very similar? Because lots of words in Spanish are the same in Portuguese!

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 05:08 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

No they are different.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 05:17 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I thought so, but lots of people make jokes about them being the same. They also throw Italy in for some reason I have no idea why.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 05:19 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Null

no expression

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 05:19 PM
Null is currently offline Find more posts by Null Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathtodraco
beware

i dunno

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 05:27 PM
deathtodraco is currently offline Click here to Send deathtodraco a Private Message Find more posts by deathtodraco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

Portuguese is simuliar to Spanish because Spain ruled Portugal for many years. (1580 - 1640)

Over the last 20 something years though Portugal I think has moved away from the words that the Spanish brought through.. I believe they have started using more English based words..

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 05:28 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flavio

different (id say very). They are very similar in some points, but people like me who speak portuguese naturally and dares trying to speak spanish because once thought they're similar languges get fuc*ed up and usually say nonsense. Thats why i stopped trying to speak spanish randomly, i have to attend classes.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 05:54 PM
Flavio is currently offline Click here to Send Flavio a Private Message Find more posts by Flavio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kai Lein
Restricted

Account Restricted

perhaps u should ask storm O__O

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 05:55 PM
Kai Lein is currently offline Click here to Send Kai Lein a Private Message Find more posts by Kai Lein Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flavio

quote: (post)
Originally posted by T.M
Portuguese is simuliar to Spanish because Spain ruled Portugal for many years. (1580 - 1640)

Over the last 20 something years though Portugal I think has moved away from the words that the Spanish brought through.. I believe they have started using more English based words..

That is not the reason, im pretty sure. When Spain ruled Portugal they already spoke Portuguese. Both languages are an heritage from Latin, that is why they're simliar, like Italian.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 05:56 PM
Flavio is currently offline Click here to Send Flavio a Private Message Find more posts by Flavio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ThorinWoofer
Static Stance

spanish portuguese and italian all derive from latin, thats why you can find common words in all 3 languages, but they are all different.

Please Respond To My PM Barker

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 05:57 PM
ThorinWoofer is currently offline Click here to Send ThorinWoofer a Private Message Find more posts by ThorinWoofer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kai Lein
Restricted

Account Restricted

but... how is that possible? they sound completely differrent, and english is a made up language, AKA the lazy language. and then spanish from spain, and then latin.... i dont know nuthin bout latin no expression

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 05:59 PM
Kai Lein is currently offline Click here to Send Kai Lein a Private Message Find more posts by Kai Lein Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flavio

Originally posted by Fox13
but... how is that possible? they sound completely differrent, and english is a made up language, AKA the lazy language. and then spanish from spain, and then latin.... i dont know nuthin bout latin no expression

Latin was spoken in half (or more) Europe. With dispersion of people, the language suffered changes, turning into popular Latin, until the new languages were formed.

And having same words to two languages dosnt mean they are the same. Portuguese has some words in common with english.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 06:02 PM
ThorinWoofer
Static Stance

dude, england, france, spain, potugal, italy, germany, and damn near all of europe spoke latin as a common language for the catholic church, and it spread into there everyday speach, but now only spain potugal and italy have it in there language, and when spain invaded the new world and mixed with the aztecs and other indians, they created another spanish, the spanish used today.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 06:04 PM
ThorinWoofer is currently offline Click here to Send ThorinWoofer a Private Message Find more posts by ThorinWoofer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ~Mitsurugi~
spanish portuguese and italian all derive from latin, thats why you can find common words in all 3 languages, but they are all different.
you forgot French. And even Germananic, Scandinavian and Balkan countries have a bit of latin. It's called the 'Y' J.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 06:04 PM
ThorinWoofer
Static Stance

Originally posted by xyz revolution
you forgot French. And even Germananic, Scandinavian and Balkan countries have a bit of latin. It's called the 'Y' J.
see earlier post.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 06:06 PM
Flavio

even englissh has latin words. Maybe japanese? stick out tongue
Latin took over the world ninja

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 06:07 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ~Mitsurugi~
see earlier post.
you still forgot French.

Originally posted by Fox13
perhaps u should ask storm O__O
I thought she was Dutch?

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 06:08 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Flavio
even englissh has latin words. Maybe japanese? stick out tongue
Latin took over the world ninja
Well think of it this way, everyone in Europe invaded England. Then England did it to the rest of the world, so everyone has bit of latin. Stupid Julius Caeser. Pronounced Yulius Seezer. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 06:11 PM
ThorinWoofer
Static Stance

did you not see i put france.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 06:11 PM
Flavio

Originally posted by xyz revolution
Well think of it this way, everyone in Europe invaded England. Then England did it to the rest of the world, so everyone has bit of latin. Stupid Julius Caeser. Pronounced Yulius Seezer. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yulius Seezer in your language, not in mine...

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2006 06:13 PM