KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Stars & Celebrities » Rappers as Actors?

Rappers as Actors?
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Miffed Rappers as Actors?

Well, skimming through some all too common Hollywood remake news, I stumbled upon this..

quote:

According to Film Jerk, Focus Features remake of John Carpenters Assault On Precinct 13 will hit theaters on January 21st, 2005. Jean-Francois Richet's Assault stars Ja Rule, Ethan Hawke, Laurence Fishburne, Gabriel Byrne, Brian Dennehy, Maria Bello, John Leguizamo and Drea De Matteo.

Now, Focus Features has been a great indie distribution outlet, with movies such as "Eternal Sunshine..", "Swimming Pool", and the upcoming"Garden State."

That said, all hopes for this being good were dashed once I saw one name in the credits, and it wasn't John Leguizamo.

Ja Rule!

Since getting punked in public by 50 Cent, this "rapper" with little to no street credibility has resorted to movies. Suffice to say, he is a horrible, horrible actor. His credits include "Fast and The Furious", "Half Past Dead", and a small, forgetable role in "Scary Movie 3".

MY question is, what is that makes these rappers think they can double up as credible actor/entertainers? Do you guys WANT to see more rappers in movies, or is it kind of like a Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen
deal, where you'd love to see them die a horrible death at the hands of some horror icon?

What say you?

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 01:49 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Major Knight
Nothin Better then Knight

meh well i think eminem did a good job in the rap movie. but i dont wanna see another one try and fail.

dont mind my poor grammer skills. I still can make a point.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 01:51 AM
Major Knight is currently offline Click here to Send Major Knight a Private Message Find more posts by Major Knight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Re: Rappers as Actors?

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
What say you?

I'll say firstly that this thread might belong in the Movie Stars & Celebrities forum. As for Hip hop artist or Rappers or Musicians (whatever people call them these days) I really don't mind them. If they can put a good performance then more power to them. Take a look at Tupac he was a hardcore rapper and made a movie with Janet Jackson. Did he do a good performance? I dunno know I never saw the movie. But the fact is that some musicians love to get into acting. Take a look a Rob Zombie or Kid Rock they are great rockers, but are they good actors? When it comes to movies they better have talent or else.....stay with music.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 02:10 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SeptemberRain
Killer

I have always felt that musicians should stick to music, while actors should stick to acting. I mean even if they are good at both, they should stay in their main profession. More and more musicians are trying their hands at acting, such as Bon Jovi in John Carpenter's Vampires:Los Muertos. I dont ever want to see Bon Jovi act. Billy Bob Thorton made a band i dont want to hear his music.

Pretty girls make graves

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 02:18 AM
SeptemberRain is currently offline Click here to Send SeptemberRain a Private Message Find more posts by SeptemberRain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roundisfunny

"You're pretty fancy, Wilson."

"I have my moments."

"Assault" is one of John Carpenter's lesser-known movies, and with good reason; it's not that great. It has elements of suspense and action, but held up against other siege movies, it tends to fall flat. One problem I always had with it was that the enemy was never clearly identified; it was just a generic punk gang that got hold of a ton of weaponry.

Plus, even though the acting wasn't too terrible, I can't think of a single actor from that movie that I've seen in another movie (with the exception of Tony Burton of the "Rocky" series). Maybe I just haven't watched enough alternative cinema for them to be familiar faces, but if they're going to be unknowns, they should at least be cult favorites at some point. Even "Escape From New York" and "Halloween" had Donald Pleasance to give them a little credibility.

It's not that it's really a "bad" film anyway; in fact, the shot of the little girl's ice cream cone and upper torso suddenly spattered with blood is one of the more vividly horrific images from my teenage movie memories. I recorded this movie from cable about 20 years ago, and have watched it enough times since then to be somewhat familiar enough to make an assessment, I think. In any case, I hope the remake makes the story a little more eye-catching.

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 02:21 AM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

Tupac could act but thats coz his high school was a school for performing arts (basicly an acting school)....some rappers can act and some cant...there are alot of actors who cant act either

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 02:46 AM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moonwalker741
1039-Smoothed

i hate rappers or singers that act in movies.....but i like actors that sing, cuz usually they 'DO' hav talent

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 03:30 AM
moonwalker741 is currently offline Click here to Send moonwalker741 a Private Message Find more posts by moonwalker741 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

if you heard kevin bacon, billy bob thorton, or russell crow sing or try and play in a rock band i think you would be singin a different tune

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 03:39 AM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

i dont know why they dont just stick to their genre. Yeah some of them might turn out to be good, but some of them are out there to make bigger versions of their own music videos ( and this goes for more than just rappers).

the exceptions to the bad actor/rappers list is Tupac, eminem and the Queen.

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 03:47 AM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

i dont thin you can put eminem on that list yet...the dude was in one movie and prett much played himself...the other two you mentioned were more in one movie and did good jobs at playing different charactors

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 11:55 AM
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Re: Re: Rappers as Actors?

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
I'll say firstly that this thread might belong in the Movie Stars & Celebrities forum.

I disagree because it is a thread which actually contained a logical thought process.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 02:44 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

Well as long as these rappers stay in "thier genre" of films (you know, things like Honey and You got Served) I don't really mind, since I'll never see them. Now, if they start getting inot drama, i see problems, big problems.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 03:38 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Boy
Kevski

At the end of the day, who cares if its rappers turn actors or actors turn singers. As long as they do their job well, thats all that matters.

Will Smith, Eminem, Tupac, Ice Cube have all made brilliant performances in their films so who's to say someone else can't follow in their footsteps?

As long as John Leguizamo is in it, it should be good!

www.myspace.com/throughsolace
Through Solace- The Stand out in March 08 on Holdfast Records

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 03:40 PM
Bad Boy is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

LL Cool J> Kicked ass in Shark Attack

Eminem> Kicked ass in 8 Mile

2Pac> Kicked ass in Above the Rim

DMX and Nas> were cool in Belly, but DMX sucked in all the rest of his movies.

Kid Rock> was cool in Joe dirt

Ja Rule> Sucks at just about everything he does...

While none of them were oscar worthy actors.....you have to realize most actors aren't either. And most people in real life can't even act like themselves well enough to earn an oscar. They do a good job portraying their characters in the movies...

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 04:12 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

Tupac owned it in Juice................

that's all I have to say on the subject.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 05:10 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Eminem is by the far the best raper actor out there its not easy to figure that out wink and his performance in 8-Mile was really suprising and impressing smile

Days until new season of CSI:26

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 06:00 PM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Boy
Kevski

He's only done 2 films!

Will Smith is the best!

www.myspace.com/throughsolace
Through Solace- The Stand out in March 08 on Holdfast Records

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 06:52 PM
Bad Boy is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Rappers always choose films that take very little acting ability, so it doesn't matter.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 07:01 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Major Knight
Nothin Better then Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Bad Boy
He's only done 2 films!

Will Smith is the best!

your right will smith is the best singer and actor out there. but eminem is still awsome at acting. well so far

dont mind my poor grammer skills. I still can make a point.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 07:04 PM
Major Knight is currently offline Click here to Send Major Knight a Private Message Find more posts by Major Knight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Drifter101
Woodstock '69"

god i hate rappers who think they can act seriously you talk bout getting shot but if u keep on making films w/ your horrible acting skills this will most likely really happed

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 08:40 PM
Drifter101 is currently offline Click here to Send Drifter101 a Private Message Find more posts by Drifter101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote